Chapter 14

Jennie: Best of Me

Elijah

 

Elijah and Blackpink, together with the staff, are out eating in a Japanese Ramen restaurant. They have a thanksgiving party for the team's hard work from the recent comeback. They are also celebrating the success of the newly released single that topped the Billboard's World Digital Song chart after only one day of tracking. The music video also breaks the record for the most liked music video by a Korean girl group on YouTube. Everyone is having fun when Elijah notices his driver being restless.

 

Kim Joon-ho has been working in my family for more than ten years already. He lived with me when I moved to London when I was 10, to Berkshire when I was 13 until I graduated from Eton College when I was 17 years old. He was 21 years old when he went abroad with me. He went back to Korea when I started my college years in Oxford, and I asked him to work with me when I came back from Paris last year. He is my driver, assistant, bodyguard, and someone I can trust my life. I treat him as a family, an older brother, to be exact. "Hyung, what's up?" I followed him without asking when he leads me outside the restaurant.

 

"A writer from Dispatch sent me this. They will release this tonight. They just gave us a heads-up or maybe asking for confirmation." Joon-ho said, looking worried.

 

Dispatch is not a usual news outlet that exposes dating rumors and scandals of Korean celebrities. They usually follow celebrities for months, until they shot photo evidence that well-known people will have a hard time denying.

 

I tried to remember all the time I was with Jennie, thinking if I got careless before nervously check the phone he is holding. It's a series of pictures taken in Tokyo. I carefully studied each photo until I reached the last few images, and I saw pictures of Natalie and me. Her holding my hand, the other looks like we are making out while the last one is me leaving her hotel room. "Call the writer and try to negotiate. Deny it at all cost." I closed my eyes, Jennie will be upset for sure. I tried to call Natalie to give her a heads-up just in case dating rumors between us surfaced the web.

 

Jennie and Lisa joined me in the car after the dinner party. I asked Joon-ho to drop-off Lisa first to the hotel where her parents are staying. I closed my eyes, trying to think about how to tell the news to Jennie. We were on our way to the girls' dorm after dropping off Lisa when Joon-ho's phone rang. I nod at him, and he went outside the car to take the call. He returned after almost 20 minutes. I look at him, and he shakes his head. "Tomorrow morning." He said before driving.

 

"Something's wrong?" Jennie asks me, holding my hand.

 

My phone vibrates, Natalie is returning my call. Jennie looks at me when I refuse the phone call and put it in silent mode.

 

"Who's Nat?" She asks, looking at me.

 

I kiss the side of her head before answering her. "Scott's twin sister. It could be Scott. He's been nagging me about extending my stay in Paris for a few days." I will be flying to Paris tomorrow as I'll attend Fashion Week.

 

Jennie pouts. "You won't, right?"

 

I kiss her again and whisper something in her ear. "I love you."

 

We are listening to the radio inside the car. The DJ played Blackpink's new song "As if it's your last" on the radio. Jennie is jamming around until the song ended. The DJ talks about the new song with Seungri, the DJ's radio partner, and a member of Big Bang.

 

"It's a perfect summer song, and it's different from their past releases." The DJ said, trying to start the conversation with Seungri.

 

"You can say that it's a song about love. It's like they want to spend time with a loved one. I heard Elijah Ellington wrote some parts of that song. It seems like he is dedicating it to someone." Seungri and the DJ laughed. "Eli-ya, if you happen to hear this, call us now and confirm or deny your dating rumor with that French model Dispatch released a while ago." Seungri laughed.

 

Joon-ho immediately turned off the radio. I was shocked, and so is Jennie.

 

"What was that about?" Jennie said coldly without looking at me.

 

I look at Jennie, "Hun, I'll explain it later."

 

I checked my phone and saw hundreds of messages and missed calls. I saw Jennie checking her phone. "Don't read that. Let me explain first."

 

"Then, explain everything right now!" Jennie shouts at me.

 

I reached for her hand, but she brushed it off. She looked at me and said, "I told you to explain."

 

I saw tears falling to her cheeks. I turned to Joon-ho and said, "Drive us to my place, Hyung."

 

We went inside after arriving at my place. I tried to hug Jennie, but she pushed me back.

 

"I'm waiting for your explanation." She said after pushing me away from her.

 

I silently wait for her response after I finished explaining everything, not leaving out any detail. We sat in silence, my heart beating so fast.

 

"How nice of you to join her for a dinner date, while you can't even take your girlfriend for a walk outside even just for 10 minutes." She said, breaking the deafening silence. "Remind me to send her flowers to thank her for doing my job as a girlfriend."

 

"It's not like that. We've known each other since I was 10. We're just good friends hanging out, like Jisoo and I." I said calmly.

 

"Don't compare her to Jisoo unnie. She will never be her. I don't trust her, and I trust Jisoo unnie." Jennie said. "I remembered that night. I was waiting for your call. I thought you're too tired, so you slept early."

 

"I'm sorry. I forgot to call you. It's been a year since I last saw Nat, so I was excited to catch up with her." I explained.

 

"Oh, you missed her. How about me? We only talk over the phone for five ing months since you're always out of Korea. You can't even stay late in the dorm, or you refused to have me in your place." She madly said.

 

"I want you to get some rest, so I don't stay too late in your dorm. You've been in the training room for 13-14 hours every day. I don't want you to visit me in my place because I don't want us to get caught. What if Dispatch release stories about you visiting me often and leaving my place late at night?" I patiently explained.

 

She laughs loudly. "So it's alright with you to have relationship rumors with other girls? Is it okay with you to get caught, leaving another girl's place late in the evening? You went out of her hotel room when the sun is almost shining. Look at that photo. Everyone will say that you are making out with her.

 

I stood up. "Let's talk again later. I know you're tired."

 

"Sit down. I'll be the one to tell if this conversation is over." She looks at me sharply.

 

"It's late, Yobo. Let's talk again tomorrow." I said, walking away from her.

 

"That's where you are good at, walking away if life gets tough." She said bitterly.

 

I looked back at her and said, "I have a flight to catch in four hours."

 

"Oh, sorry. I forgot you'll be with that girl for the next few days. Sorry." She laughs until tears fall to her cheeks.

 

I hugged her tight. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, baby."

 

She hugged me back and said while looking at me, "I don't want you to leave. I don't want you to go there. I don't like her near you. Stay here with me, please." She begs.

 

I looked at her eyes full of tears. "You know I need to go there. I already confirmed my attendance. I'll be back as soon as the show is over. I promise. Let's talk again once I'm back. Please, try to understand. I won't do something that will make me lose you. Trust me."

 

Jennie silently cried on my chest. I feel so bad seeing her fell asleep after crying. Joon-ho called to remind me that I have a flight to catch. I breathe frustratedly before carrying Jennie to my bed. I kiss her forehead lightly and leave the room silently to avoid waking her up.

 

Joon-ho took my luggage and opened the car for me. I asked him to buy Jennie breakfast before bringing her back to their dorm tomorrow and make sure to be careful so no one will recognize her.

 

Charles de Gaulle Airport

 

After almost 13 hours on board, the plane landed safely at the airport. My frustrations are growing as I can't contact Scott, who agreed to pick me up at the airport. I decided to go out from the lounge, hoping that the sea of reporters outside will not recognize me. I put on a mask and a baseball cap and blend in a group of tourists. I look for a cab and go straight to the hotel I'll be staying in Paris. I tried to call Jennie after arriving in my hotel room, but she's not picking up my call. I rest for a bit and watch Blackpink's live performance in Inkigayo. Their new single placed first in Inkigayo ranking. Jennie is crying, and only people around her know the real reason why. The girls waved to the fans while singing after Jisoo made a short speech after the announcement of the rankings. I looked at Jennie's sad and swollen eyes, and I can't help but feel guilty. The show ended, and I kill time by browsing the web. There are a lot of negative comments about Jennie's "ungrateful" look at the end of the show. The Korean netizens or Knetz keep on bashing and calling her names. I called Blackpink's manager and asked him to release a statement about Jennie being sick to lessen the negative comments.

 

I was eating dinner when the boys and Natalie arrived in my room. I saw loads of booze, and I can't help but smile.

 

Natalie sat beside me. "Like the old times."

 

The four of us smiled before shouting simultaneously. "Like the old times!"

 

"I miss you, mate. Or should I say, brother-in-law?" Scott said, making the rest burst into laughter.

 

They were having fun when I saw missed calls from Jennie. I went inside the restroom and returned her call. "Sorry I missed your call. Did you just wake up, Hun?" I opened the camera to see her face.

 

"Why are you still up, Hun? It's already 4 in the..." Jennie stops talking when she heard someone opened the door.

 

"Hey, El. Come on. We're not yet done, you fool." Natalie said. "Ooops.. sorry. I didn't know you're on the phone."

 

I looked back at my phone and saw Jennie's angry face. "I'm with Nat and the boys. They went here unexpectedly." I explained right away.

 

"So you're with her, drinking. Again. You know what, just do what you need to do there and just talk to me once you're back here." She ended the call.

 

They are all quiet when I went back to the room. Natalie broke the silence. "I'm sorry, El. I didn't know you were talking to her. I think I made it worse."

 

"It's alright, Nat. She's just overwhelmed after the photos were released." I said.

 

"Besides, it's Nat. Jennie has nothing to worry about. She's one of the boys." Jamie added.

 

"Does Jennie knows you and Nat were ing buddies before?" Scott said while laughing.

 

Natalie slaps Scott hard. " you, Scott."

 

I was awakened up by the staff sent by Natalie. The French guy brought the clothes I'll wear in the show later. I look at my watch, it's already 4 pm. I took a quick shower, and wear the clothes Natalie sent me. She sent me a red Cremieux patterned polo, light orange Gucci trousers, and a light-colored J.M. Weston penny loafers. The staff put light make-up on my face and did a messy wet-look hairstyle on me. I check my phone to see if Jennie responded to my messages. I sent her a photo of me before I went to the show. I arrived at the venue located in front of the Eiffel Tower. There are a lot of people; fans and photographers gathered around to see a glimpse of local and international celebrities invited to the show. I walked towards the entrance and went straight to the backdrop for the photo op.

 

"Is it true that you are dating Natalie Wertheimer?" Someone asked.

 

I just smiled and acted as if I hear nothing and went inside to look for my seat. I was late, so I ended up sitting beside Natalie, who looks gorgeous in her Chanel dress. I smiled at the photographers inside the venue, and after an hour, the show ended. I flood Jennie with messages and phone calls while waiting for my flight back to Seoul. I browse the web, and pictures of Natalie and I are all over the internet, adding fuel to the fire of our dating rumor.