12 Days

Behind the Smile

12 days.

 

 

 

Your POV

 

After such an amazing bath, you slept spread out over the bed like a child, deep and carefree.  You awoke with limbs sprawled to the edges of the mattress, covers twisted in a large pile at the foot.  It may have been one of the best nights of sleep you ever had. 

 

A long stretch, toes pointed and fingertips brushing the headboard, felt wonderful.  It was if the time with Onew had set all the horrible events of the past couple of days at one remove.  It reminded you of why you had to keep fighting, keep acting, why you had to endure until the end. 

You sat up with bed hair and a grimace on your face.  Time to get back to work.

 

A quick shower and slow walk through your closet had you ready in under an hour.  Grabbing your carry-all bag, you stepped out into another slightly chilly morning in Seoul.  The scent of jasmine and vanilla tickled your nose from the beds lining your walkway.  You turned to close the door.  A chill ran up your spine.

 

He really did know everything about you.

 

Above the door, written in drippy splashes of crimson paint were the words

 

“PEEK-A-BOO, I SEE YOU”

 

“Even where I live…,” you mumbled in shock.  What if…

 

You spun around, eyes flicking over your peaceful front yard, the birds flitting through the air, a cat stalking the fence line.  Your heart stopped as a flash of green and red swept through your peripheral vision- but it was just a hummingbird zooming past to feast on the flowers.  Nothing was out of place.  Nothing else was disturbed.

 

Mind games.  If he knows where I live, then I’ll have to be even more careful.  time to take some precautions.  “I see you” eh?  I won’t give him, whoever he is, the satisfaction of seeing me all shaken up. 

 

With a steadying breath, you closed and locked the door, then turned to walk briskly down to the curb.  You had 12 blocks to walk and a bus to catch if you were going to make it into work on time.  Seeing no reason not to multitask, you pulled out your phone to make a couple of calls, a grim smile twisting your mouth.  Your parents had once had a security company on retainer…perhaps it was time to employ them again.  The message waiting icon blinked at you, and your smile lightened slightly, knowing that Onew had probably already been up for hours at a schedule.  It was kind of surprising there were only two messages- usually he would spam your with texts over even simple things.  After last night, you thought your inbox would be filled to capacity!

 

>>Best night of my life.  I pestered Key until he and Jjong went out and bought me peaches.  I ate one this morning while Taeminnie gulped his banana milk and the boys finished breakfast.  They were all chattering, but all I could concentrate on was you…and the smell of peaches<<

 

You typed a quick reply.

 

>>I thought the best night of your life was when I said “Saranghae” for the first time.  At least that’s what you said.  Aigoo- you change your mind more often than I change my underwear ;P <<

 

You kept trudging down the road, not really paying attention to your surroundings.  The lighthearted banter with your boyfriend was the only thing keeping you from freaking out over your creepy stalker.

 

Wonder what he wrote in the next message.  Probably something cheesy, knowing him.

 

>>GOOD MORNING, MY PET.  TOLD YOU I KNEW ALL ABOUT YOU.  EVEN THE HOUSE YOUR DEAD PARENTS LEFT YOU.  DID YOU SEE MY LITTLE MESSAGE ON YOUR DOOR?  I KNOW HOW YOU LIKE MY CUTE LITTLE GAMES.  MY GIFT TO YOU, BABY.  I HOPE YOU LIKE THE NEXT ONE.  OH-AND BE CAREFUL ON THE WAY TO WORK.  I WOULDN’T WANT YOU TO GET HURT ACCIDENTALLY.   XOXO- YOUR SECRET ADMIRER<<

 

You stopped dead in the road, paralyzed by the message.  It meant he had your phone number.  He knew where you lived and had your number.    It was definitely threatening.  “Be careful on your way to work” and all that mocking crap.  Did it mean that something was going to happen to you on the way?  Looking around, you noticed the streets were fairly empty.  The few people were all moving purposefully.  It didn’t seem as if anyone was following or watching you in particular. 

 

All the same, it’s best not to linger.

 

Hurriedly sending a copy of the message to your email address, you resumed striding down the pavement.  As you encountered person after person, you nervously watched them approach and pass, one hand clutching the strap of your bag, ready to swing it at their head if they attacked.  It was exhausting- this hair-trigger awareness and suspicion of EVERYONE.  Your steps rushed, until you were almost jogging.  Hopefully, it just looked like you were afraid of missing your bus.

 

You didn’t feel safe until you were sitting wedged against the cold glass of the window of the bus surrounded by regular businessmen, ajummas with shopping baskets, and students laughing and shoving each other on the way to school. 

The glass fogged over as you heaved a relieved sigh, and you stared at your misty reflection. 

Got to get this worried look off my face before someone I know sees it.  I can’t let anyone know what’s going on.  I don’t want to be forced to lie any more than I have to- lies get so complicated. 

 

And the reality of the situation hit you once again- all vestiges of the glorious night before became like a dream you couldn’t quite remember, almost a fading memory.  I have to protect myself.  You dragged out the phone again and started dialing. 

 

By the time you reached the stop nearest the SM building, arrangements for your private bodyguard and an upgraded home security system had been finalized.  You’d get a cold contact from the guard,  a man named Daniel, at lunch today.  You provided them with all your details, your addresses, contact info, and more.  You only hoped this guy was as good as they told you he was.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Yay I Updated!  Subbers-your support is AWESOME!  Comments- more please!  Silent readers- Luv ya- sub this because you don't want to lose track of your place in the story! 

Guys, just letting you know that updates will be sparse in the coming months.  As some of you may have read on my sidebar...I lost my job, due to medical reasons.  I'll be super out of it for a while.  I'm trying to write when i can, and read & comment on your stuff as often as possible.  The good news is this...the countdown to the end of this story has begun....12 days left to presentation.

 

A/N#2: And just as a preview....here's your bodyguard (the first of many delicious pictures).  In real life, he's Korean-American actor Daniel Henney....ummm, let's see...most well known for a role in K-drama "My Lovely Kim Sam Soon", or in X-Men: Wolverine as Agent Zero.  In both roles, he's stupid hot.  I think you agree, ne?

 

<<-------Daniel, your bodyguard