Resolved

Behind the Smile

 

 

It shouldn't have been so scary.  Simple typewriter print on a piece of white paper.  Until you read it.  Until the letters made words and the words burned themselves into your brain like acid, corroding your happiness into fear. 

 

“DON’T SCREAM, .”

DON’T LOOK AROUND.  DON’T MOVE.  I’M WATCHING YOU RIGHT NOW. 

I’M SO CLOSE THAT I CAN SEE YOUR PULSE POUNDING IN THAT VEIN IN YOUR NECK. 

I IMAGINE IF I SLICED OPEN YOUR CHEST, YOUR HEART MIGHT JUST POUND ITSELF RIGHT OUT OF YOUR BODY AND INTO MY HANDS.

ARE YOU SCARED? YOU SHOULD BE.  I’M AWFULLY ANGRY, . 

YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE TALENT TO MAKE CLOTHES FOR SHINEE? YOU’RE WRONG.

I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU, AND YOU’RE PATHETIC.

YOU DON’T DESERVE TO BE NEAR THEM.  

I’M STILL TRYING TO DECIDE IF YOU DESERVE TO LIVE.

SHOW THIS LETTER TO ANYONE AND IT WILL MAKE MY DECISION MUCH EASIER.

WHY DO YOU LOOK SO LONELY, BABY?

DON’T WORRY, I’LL BE IN TOUCH.

XOXO, YOUR SECRET ADMIRER

 

Your heart was pounding, just like the letter said.  Was it the content? Or was it the fact that it was signed with hugs and kisses?  Somehow, the endearments made it all too personal, and that much more disturbing.  You desperately wanted to think it was a sick joke, someone’s idea of a prank, but no one you knew would do such a thing.  It was unthinkable. 

 

Of course the very first thing you wanted to do was get up and run to Jinki.  He was safety to you.  You knew that if only you were being held in those arms, you’d be protected.  Whoever this crazy person was, Jinki would find a way to make sure that person never touched you.

 

Hard on the heels of that thought was this; putting the letter in his hands would mean putting him in danger.  You knew him.  He wouldn’t sit still, or ignore the threat.  He’d be out hunting down the culprit, along with the rest of your friends.

You shuddered, crumpling the letter into a tightly wadded ball.

The thought of Minho, Jonghyun, Key, or-God!-Taemin broken and bleeding was enough to send a stab of pure horror through your stomach.  The thought of Jinki getting anywhere NEAR a crazy psycho was enough to freeze the blood in your veins. 

 

And still, you wanted to tell him.  Just so you could hear him say, “It’s just some anti-fan somewhere. It’s okay. We’ll get through this together.”

But their album.  The Comeback. This is his life. 

No way can I let him worry about me right now. I can handle this. 

The terror crystallized into resolve.

 

The first thing is to calm down.  This person says they can see you. So, don’t give them the satisfaction of looking as scared as you feel.  Play the game, just until the presentation. Just until they release the album.

 

You took a deep breath.  Very carefully, you unfolded the letter.  Laying it flat on the desk, you smoothed the creases out.  You opened another drawer, pulled out a folder and stuck the revolting piece of paper inside.  When you were ready, you’d need all the evidence you could find. 

This person may think they’re holding all the cards.  But I’ll be damned if ANYONE dares to harm my Jinki.  Or the boys.  If they’re watching…

 

It wasn’t difficult to look scared.  There was no way of knowing if someone was watching or not.  You calculated options at lightning speed. 

From now on, I’ll just have to assume that I’m being watched, at least until I can prove differently.  And if they can see me, can they hear me?  That would make it harder.  Maybe there’s a way to find out.

You whispered, “This has to be a joke.  There’s no way whoever it is can see me, I’m in the middle of the SM building!  There’s like tons of security.  This has got to be just a prank.” 

 

You nodded your head like you believed it, but made sure that you still looked shaken.  You tried hard, with every smidgen of acting skill at your disposal to make it look and sound like you were working to convince yourself there was nothing to be worried about.  

Sure, you knew it was probably unwise to provoke this person into proving it wasn’t a prank.  But, you were out of choices.  And, if the letter really was some kind of mistake, then nothing else would happen.

 

You closed the folder and placed it way in the back of the file drawer.  

 Obviously this person doesn’t understand love. 

I don’t care what the hell happens to me, as long as Jinki is okay.

 

You took a brief second, closing your eyes and settling that thought deep in your soul.  All you had to do was keep smiling, and let no one see behind the smile.  Lifting your lids, you caught the lyrics scrolling across the computer screen once again…

 

Neul geu jarie isseo nalmidgo jikyeojun nege

You have always been there, Believing in me and protecting me

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hope you liked this chapter.  I'm excited about the coming drama and what's going to happen with you!  Only two weeks until the presentation, and you still have to finish the last concept for the album! And make the presentation!  Ottoke??????