New Best Memory

Behind the Smile

Onew POV

 

Could such utter happiness exist in this universe? 

She said yes.  She said yes.  She said yes. She said yes.  She said yes.  She said yes.

It was repeating endlessly in your head.  It was just so fantastic, so unreal- all the icy worry and anxiety you had pent up inside for so long melted under the warmth of her lips.  It had taken all your courage to actually come out and confess to her, especially in her “territory”.  After all, the workroom did have more than one pair of scissors available.  But, now, none of that mattered. 

She said yes. She said yes. She said yes.

 

For one of the few times in your life, your smile matched perfectly to the emotions bursting through your body.  You looked at her, beaming away, and only smiled wider when she smiled & laughed back at you.  It was a moment that you tried desperately to etch into your memory.

“Where have you gone, Onew?” she asked.

You never wanted to forget exactly how her hair was still mussed up in “bed head” sticing out weirdly to the side, or how she bit that plump bottom lip as she leaned forward. 

“Onew, gwenchana?  Yoboseyo?.....”

You wanted to recall precisely how she matched your gaze, eyes boring into yours as you kissed, how the couch compressed under your clenching hands as the scent of coffee drifted through the air. 

Soft chuckles.  “Earth to Onew…”   She reached out to take his hand, squeezing it gently as she massaged the palm with her thumbs.  A wicked glint lit her eyes.  She slowly dropped his hand and even more quietly slid off the couch.

You wanted it all to remain, picture perfect, forever.  Had you ever been this overwhelmed before?  Scenes of your life passed rapidly like a movie reel in your mind.  The first time you sang to her- a simple lullaby.  Your acceptance as a SM trainee.  Long hours, pain, hunger.  The debut with four of your new best friends. 

She climbed back on the couch, one hand holding something behind her back, amused that onew was still “spaced out” with such a big grin on his face.

The first time you got first on the music charts.  The awards, the waiting, the first kiss in the car.  You were so busy trying to record every detail, you hadn’t realized she was speaking.  Until… 

     SNICK-SNICK-SNICK    

 

You howled and jerked back in atavistic fear, crashing painfully into the arm of the couch behind you as a pair of wickedly sharp shears sliced at the air.   _____-ah snickered evilly as she continued to rapidly snip the scissors.

“Do I have your attention now?”

You were still a bit shaky, your heart climbing up your throat.  “N…n..Ne.” 

She laughed a little more then dropped the scissors on the low table nearby.  As the sharp implement finally moved out of attack range, you settled back down to your previous location.  Flashing her an unsteady grin, you focused on her face again.

By the questioning look she was shooting you, it was obvious that you still looked a bit….shaken?

“I’m  fine.”

“Good, because I was trying to ask you again; tell me what brought on this sudden desire for a relationship?”

 

Instantly you got worried again.  “Wae?  Are you having second thoughts already?!?” You grabbed at her hands, but missed as she began waving them about.

“Ani, ani,” she half-shouted as she shook her hands in a “no way” movement.  “Of course not.  It’s just, this seems kind of sudden, and I was wondering what finally brought out the confession.”   Her hands had lowered into her lap and you noticed she was twisting the edge of her blanket into little folds.

 

Your face felt flushed as you tried to figure out how to explain.  You hadn’t actually planned to ever confess to her.  You always thought she would just see you as an older brother.  So you understood how she would see it as a sudden change of heart.

“Well,” you began, then stopped.  Calming breath.  A thought occurred.   “Well, this might take a while. Are you expected to work today?  I mean, I don’t really want to be interrupted, and gossip would be bad until we’re all straightened out, so should we stay here or go somewhere else?”

She took a moment to think.  “Well, today is Sunday, so I don’t expect anyone to interrupt us.  I guess here is fine….I just…really…want to know.  This all,” she sighed, “this all is a little surreal-“  She was looking down, and you didn’t quite know what to make of her tone.  Another thought occurred, and this one made you smile again.

“Since we have time then…” 

 

You crawled forward, moving into her space.  She meeped and leaned away awkwardly, eventually falling to her back as you kept coming.  When you were hovering over her, braced with your hands next to her head, a knee planted on either side of her legs, you leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to her forehead.  She squished her eyes shut and you threw out some evil snickers of your own at her shy reaction.

“Oh what dirty dirty things your head must hold, ____-ah.  I just wanted to get a bit more comfortable while I explain.  If we both lay on our sides, then I can talk & hold you at the same time.  Pure comfort.”

She glared up at you and sniffed.  How cute    “I am NOT a ert.  That would be Jonghyun.” 

You were still holding yourself over her.  “Better decide quick, my arms are getting tired.”  You dropped a critical inch and her eyes widened.   “Okay, okay, lie down before you fall down.”    

 

You grinned and moved so that you were lying on your side with your back pressed to the couch, one arm beneath ____’s head, one wrapped lightly over her waist.  Now she couldn’t see you, you smirked.

So I lied about being tired.  Got me exactly where I wanted to be, didn’t it?

Now that he couldn’t see her face, she grinned slyly.

So I faked being upset.  Got him exactly where I wanted him to be, didn’t it?

“Well, if you’re ally comfy.  Story, cue!”

 

You breathed, inhaling the faint scent of vanilla and apple.  A lovely warmth built up between your bodies, and your knees aligned perfectly, curled up to fit the couch length.  Your breathing synced, and she finally relaxed back into your chest.  The last little gap disappeared as you sank into each other.  It was your new best memory.

“So this story begins with a wicked temptress threatening my manhood…”

The small giggle shook you both, and your arm wrapped a little tighter around her waist.

 

 

 

 

A/N:  Love your comments!  Thanks so much!  I'm a greedy gal, so I'm going to ask for MORE< MORE