You Make Me Smile

Behind the Smile

Your POV

 

You left the office earlier than normal, ignoring the surprised stares of your assistants.    Right now, you refused to think about the evil square of paper lurking in your desk.   Nothing bad had happened today, no letters, no disasters.  Nothing.  Returning to work today had been much more difficult than you anticipated.

It was the thought that someone, somewhere, somehow was watching you.  Even if it wasn’t true, it kept you creeped out and on edge all afternoon.   There was no way that you could force yourself to stay late that evening…you just couldn’t.  So you left.

 

You walked the halls of the SM building, slowly making your way to the lobby and a taxi that would take you home.  God I just want to be home.  In pjs.  With ice cream.  Chocolate Cookie Dough ice cream.  Or a big bowl of salty French fries.  Or both. 

 

You moved like a zombie, so fixated on not thinking that you missed half a dozen waves and ‘Anyeong!’s from staff.  Despite your hectic schedule, you were always polite and outgoing around others, and had a good reputation inside the company.   As you entered the elevator, your phone buzzed, but the doors closed, cutting off the signal before you could pick it up.  Glancing at the display, you noted that it was Onew calling.  

I want to see him so bad right now. Tthat bright smile would really make today so much better.  I could lose myself in him so quickly…but would he be able to tell what’s wrong? that I feel threatened? 

 

You fidgeted, worrying over whether you should call him back or not.  You were halfway home, two more missed calls and what seemed like a billion increasingly anxious text messages before you couldn’t take it anymore.  You paid the driver and ambled up the walk to your front door, holding the phone securely between your shoulder and ear.

 

“Jinki-,”

                “Why weren’t you answering your phone?”

“Well, I-“

                “I got worried.  Stopped by your workroom, and you were already gone.”

“Ne, it-“

                “And then you didn’t answer, and I kept calling, but then I thought maybe you were busy, so I texted, and you didn’t respond to those either…”

 

“LEE JINKI!”

                “……”

“Do I have your attention now?

                “Umm, Ne.”

“I left early because I’m tired.  And because I have this overwhelming urge for ice cream.  And I needed a bit of quiet to settle my stress.  You’ve been working hard, so I didn’t want to bother you.  Any more questions?”

                “Do you still love me?”

 

You grinned at the apologetic tone, almost able to see the pouty face.  Just like you thought.  He made any day better.   

                “YAH- long pauses are not acceptable!”

You giggled.  “Ne, Oppa- Saranghaeyo!”

He laughed along with you, “Nado, yeobo.”

 

The happiness carried on until you were inside, kicking off your heels and dropping your keys and purse on the nearest flat surface.   You made your way through to the bedroom, ing your shirt, letting it hang loose on your shoulders.   You wiggled out of your skinny jeans, stepping foot to foot then hopping to get your right leg free.  Onew was chatting away about his latest activities.  You could hear the guys in the background joking and laughing around.

 

You took off your accessories, laying them down with light clicks in your wonderful closet.  The occasional encouraging murmur was all it took to keep Onew talking along.  The grin that spread across your face couldn’t be helped- hearing his excitement made you excited for him. 

 

The water gushed from the faucet as you dug some peach-scented bubble bath out from the back corner of the cabinet under the sink.  The ceramic edge of the tub was cold against the skin of your thighs.  Your plan- to soak your problems in hot water until nothing was left but you adn steam.  You sat there in your shirt and underwear, swinging your legs gently as you waited for the tub to fill.

 

Onew finally stopped to take a breath, but must have heard the splashing sounds of your fingers flicking through the water to spread the bubbles.

“So, uh, what are you doing right now, yeobo?”

                “Well, Oppa,” you teased, “I’m feeling a bit dirty, so I figured I’d get clean.”

You heard his gulp vibrate across the airwaves. 

Yep. This was going to be so much better than chocolately-cookieish goodness in frozen form, way way better than crunchy greasy awesomeness. As long as you had the guts to follow through- and right now, your guts were feeling fantastic….

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Because I just felt like the last chapter was super short.  Here's another mini-chapter.  And also because I <3 U!  Remember, anticipation WILL NOT kill you.....just make you frustrated! :D