Chapter 1: My New Appa’s Former Wife Jessica (Updated)

The Ghost of My New Appa’s Former Wife Jessica (Formerly Mayonnaise Ketchup)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 1: My New Appa’s Former Wife Jessica

 

The man that fell for my mom, who worked at a bar after splitting up with my dad 15 years ago, turned out to be an honest-looking business man of around 45-46, 47 or somewhere around there-years of age whose wife died leaving him with two children aged 3 and 5.

There was nothing particularly special about him. He worked as a supply chain manager in one of those well-established car manufacturing companies here in Korea, led a pretty decent 9-5 job, and earned his keep enough to support a family. Now including my mom and me that is.

So I wasn’t surprise either when one day my “new Appa” asked my mom her hand in marriage and eventually invited us to live with him. It was a simple civil ceremony, nothing fancy, just registering me and my mom under the Kim household in the city hall. Well… we were already Kims to begin with so, hurray for having one of the most common family names in Korea!

What I was most glad though was that Omma wouldn’t need to work anymore and just stay home taking care of Minho and Sulli, my new siblings. I was already in the university, and expenses were beginning to get tight… so… I didn’t want to admit it… but “new Appa” did save us there.

So… even if it was difficult, transitioning into this huge family from just me and my Omma,

I’ll deal with it.

 

Omma seemed pretty psyched about it though and somehow having the kids makes her feel rather young again.

And the house? Oh tell me about it. It turned out to be one of those traditional Korean houses, in the upper side of the Han River, where most old structures within Seoul were built. Ash tiled roofs, white stone walls, a mini garden with persimmon trees towering over humongous claypot jars, and a gate made from heavy hard wood. It had them, the works. Almost as if you’d gone back in time… Admittedly it seemed imposing at first, but by the time I set foot inside this castle, luggage tolled on my back, my eyebrows unconsciously rose.

Its inside couldn’t have been more of an opposite! Like you’ve travelled too far into the past you’ve reached the future. LED flat screens, the latest gadgets and electronics, minimalistic décor, and everything in white. Yes white! I hope my new Appa hires a maid, because damn, I’m not gonna go scrubbing away just to keep this joint spick and span.

“Mom… Are you sure you thoroughly checked Uncle’s background? Are you sure he isn’t-…?” I leaned and whispered to my mom while carefully laying down some boxes of belongings in one side of the living room. 

“Shhh be quiet Taeyeon-ah…” She smacked my head playfully giggling at the thought of living in this “unique” but definitely upscale abode. “Siwon might hear… and plus this is all his previous wife’s taste.”
 

Well from our tiny one room apartment… then definitely this feels like a castle. My eyes wandered again on my new home. Sigh… I just wonder why I feel rather uncomfortable here? It’s not like this place has done me wrong.

And… Gulp. Why? Why does it feel as though that I’m being watched?

BRRRRRRRR I shook my head, and chased those negative thoughts out of my mind. Kim Taeyeon! What are you ten? Afraid of moving into a new house? It’s not like I’m moving into one of those cliché haunted mansions in western movies aren’t I? I sighed again before a small smile crawled down my face as I see my mother raving about the new place.

Maybe I’m just being tired. New is not bad right?

 

“Ahh… such a wonderful house Yeobo! Thank you so much!!! ” My mom squealed. Ugh, those kids are definitely making her feel young.

“Hahaha I’m glad you liked it” Uncle quickly pecked Omma, snaking his manly arms on her waist, my mom giggling in response. Ugh… no PDA pleaseeeeeeeee!

Finally noticing my presence in the house, uncle turned to me and asked. “Did you like your room Taeyeon? Fits your taste?”

The man even gave me my own room. I mean, in our old place, I had the couch. So how could I say I didn’t really care?

“I liked it Uncle, It’s big and clean. Thank you.”

Feeling that he didn’t really see my enthusiasm in moving, which was the case, I added in panic. “Ugh, the bed was very comfortable too! and the view from the window is very calming. I like serene places, so I couldn’t have asked for more.”

“Oh is that right? That’s great then” The old man sighs in relief blushing a bit as he scratched the back of his neck.

So he is an old softy after all… Maybe I should stop doubting him then?

 

“KYAA!!!! MOMMY!!! I WANT SNACKS!!!” A really cute girl Sulli, my new dongsaeng, comes in from outside, extending her arms like wings, a bright smile lighting her face. 

It was short-lived though as her older brother Minho catches up with her immediately sm

Please log in to read the full chapter