- 2 -

Promise

 

A bright, white light shines on the young male. He sits in the corner of the room with his head in his hands, grasping tightly onto his hair, trying hard to fight the tears.

 

Painful memories protrude his mind.

 

Everyday. Every hour. Every minute. Every second. The same question is being asked.

 

Why?

 

Why did he leave?

 

Why did this happen?

 

Why didn’t you keep your promise?

 

Hateful words attack him indirectly. The same question arising in repetition. The response was always the same. You were there to defend him in need. He tried his best to keep a smile on his face, no matter how many people turned against him.

 

~

 

    A sea of silver stands before him. Thousands of fans chanting, full of enthusiasm. There he was on stage, with his eleven brothers. Dancing, singing their hearts out as the silver ocean joined voices. He couldn’t help but grin. It was a beautiful sight. Knowing that each one of them was a part of you.

 

    Your beauty stood out. Glowing in the stage’s presence. An appearance that cannot be replaced. You were special. You were unique.

 

    But most of all you were his.

 

    “We are...ONE! Annyeonghaseyo EXO-imnida!”

 

    The voices grew louder, hearing the renowned greeting. The twelve boys joined together, singing the song that brought them to where they are now.

 

    It was the last song they performed as a full family…

 

    It was a moment no one could forget.

 

~

 

    The tears now fell down his face. He runs a hand through his hair, wiping away the salty droplets.

 

    I’ve hurt you so many times...do I really deserve the love you give to me?

 

    He drew in a breath, exhaling sharply as he stood up from his position.

 

    Today is another day...the silver ocean will be in front of me once more…

 

    “We will work hard for you...please have faith in us…”

 

~

 

    No matter how hard or tiring it was, he continued to go on stage for your sake. His heart was in just as much pain as yours, from the past occurrences. He gathered up all his strength from your words. The strength of being with you on his birthday stage.

 

    I will give it my all to put your heart at rest.

 

    “Let me hold you close….I want to protect you….always.”

 

    Even as the time passed there was a word he couldn’t express. He swallowed his heart, saying it with all his feelings.

    “I’m sorry, I love you.”