{ e i g h t }

A Whirlwind of Unexpected

{ chapter e i g h t }

 

Youngji’s mind was flowing into space as she woke up that morning to get ready for school. She was moving methodically, each move robotic as if her soul had been in somewhere. Her mind was filled with what happened last night with Jackson. It was very uncharacteristic of the boy to be shy and grateful like that that Youngji just couldn’t believe it.

 

When she went down for breakfast, both Hara and Kangjoon were present. The two were busy exchanging stories with her mother that they didn’t even notice her come down. “What’s up?” She questioned as she popped a toast inside . “It’s rare for Kangjoon to be early.”

 

“Aigoo, stop complaining and just eat fast! Kangjoon hasn’t come by for a while so just be thankful and let him walk you two girls to school.” Her mother scolded before leaving the three of them alone.

 

Kangjoon slung his arm around her as he smugly smirked. “That’s right, Youngji-yah, just let Kangjoon oppa take you to school.”

 

Youngji wordlessly elbowed him on the ribs. Hara cracked up while Kangjoon was cradling the sore spot on his rib before they continued eating.

 

“Seriously though,” Youngji eyed her two friends– oh, one friend and one frenemy. “Why are you two here? Perhaps…” She swallowed as she contemplated the possibility of her public letter published.

 

Hara bit her lip while Kangjoon missed a beat before shrugging. “Eat well, Youngji-yah. School’s going to be a battlefield for sure.”

 

Youngji gulped as she forced herself to bite into her toast. Her appetite seemed to disappear as Kangjoon’s words began sinking into her.

 

--

 

Kangjoon was right. Her classmates have already figured out that she was the Heo Youngji who signed in the public letter released by JYP Entertainment earlier that day. It wasn’t that hard to figure out the story based on Youngji’s bruised hip and backside and the story stated on the public letter.

 

The moment that the three of them stepped inside the school grounds, other students were already pointing to her and whispering god-knows-what. It seemed as if the news already spread to the whole school as other students whom she didn’t even know began talking as she walked past them.

 

“Those people–!” Hara fumed as she balled her hands to a fist. “They’re just green with envy because they’ll never get to kiss Jackson Wang even if they get resurrected a thousand times!!!”

 

“Hara-yah, don’t worsen the situation.” Kangjoon scolded lightly. “They’re all annoying and irritating, yes, but we should focus on helping Youngji. Who knows what those nitpricks are up to…”

 

Hara audibly sighed before turning her head to face Youngji. “Youngji-yah,” she called out to the younger girl. “I’ll be going now, okay? If anyone says anything about you, tell me at lunch, arasso?! I’ll haunt them down, aish.”

 

Despite of the situation, Youngji managed to smile. She was really touched with Hara and Kangjoon’s support towards her. “Neh, unnie. Thank you, really.”

 

The eldest of the three only smiled softly before ruffling her hair. “You crazy girl, it’s nothing.” She told her. She then turned to Kangjoon. “Oi Kangjoonie, take care of our maknae, okay?”

 

Kangjoon faked a salute. “Of course!”

 

“Okay then. See you two later!” Hara waved before going to her own classroom.

 

The two youngsters went on their way towards their own class. Students from here and there were still looking at them weirdly but Youngji did her best to hold herself back for Hara and Kangjoon’s sake. It’s okay, Heo Youngji, she quietly cheered herself. Remember Hara and Kangjoon.

 

“You okay?” Kangjoon quietly asked as they approach their own classroom. Some of their classmates were already in front of the door awaiting their arrival. Kangjoon pointed at them. “Yah yah, why are you guys hanging around the door?! Scram!”

 

“Of course I’m okay.” Youngji grinned before clapping her own chest. “I’m Heo Youngji!”

 

Kangjoon smiled back at her. “Yeah, how could I forget.” He amusedly responded. “Let’s go in now, Heo Youngji-ssi.”

 

When the two of them got in, their classmates were looking at Youngji as if she was an alien who recently landed on Earth. She wanted to squirm under the scrutiny, but she didn’t want to give them the satisfaction by doing so. Instead, she opted to sit down quietly while Kangjoon waves away those who were courageous enough to talk to her.

 

The classes went by in a breeze. Well, maybe not really. It was just that her mind was swimming with her schoolmates’ words that she wasn’t able to concentrate on her lessons. The other students were openly staring at her like she was a specimen under a microscope. It was irking her to no end.

 

She was very grateful the moment the lunch bell rang. She immediately gathered her things; swiftly stuffing them all inside her backpack without even bothering to put it in order. Kangjoon held her arm the moment they finished. “C’mon, Hara’s probably waiting for us already,” he said before dragging her out.

 

“Youngji, can I make a quick trip to the bathroom?” Kangjoon asked and she nodded. “You’re gross, Kangjoon. Do you really have to let me know if you’re going to poop?” She teased to liven up the atmosphere even though she was anxious to be left alone.

 

“Aish, really–!” Kangjoon reacted. “I’m not going to do that! Tss. Wait for me here, okay? I’ll be quick.” He instructed before running towards the boys’ bathroom.

 

Youngji impatiently tapped her foot to the ground in hopes of letting the anxiety pass when a bunch of girls approached her. She noticed that they were her seniors who were also part of the 빗방울 fandom. She was left with no choice but to back herself on the wall as the six girls kept on advancing towards her. “Yah Heo Youngji,” Jiyeon snarled. “Who do you think you are to kiss Jackson Wang, huh?” The girl then proceeded to push her left shoulder.

 

“Feeling great now?” Eunjung seconded as the other four girls chorused a “yeah”. “Think you’re all that because you kissed Jackson Wang?”

 

Hyomin glared at her. “You just ruined STORM’s reputation, stupid.” She said before pushing Youngji back on the wall again with a thud.

 

“I hope you’re happy about the scandal, you sasaeng.” Boram added with a glare even stronger than Hyomin’s. “You even framed Jackson for your own entertainment.”

 

Soyeon was about to add to what her friends were saying when Kangjoon’s voice reverberated throughout the whole corridor. “HEO YOUNGJI!” He screamed before breaking through the girls who were surrounding her.

 

“Yah Seo Kangjoon!” Soyeon angrily called out. “Don’t you know us?!”

 

“We’re your seniors!” Qri told the two of them as Kangjoon shielded her with his body. “Don’t you think you’re being disrespectful now?”

 

Kangjoon’s voice was calm as he answered the six girls cornering them. “Sunbaenim,” he stressed, “Between the two of us, who do you think is being disrespectful? Is bullying respectful to you now? Is cornering a fellow student to verbally abuse her respectful?” Kangjoon scoffed as he left the girls speechless. “Sunbaenim, please think before you act or I’ll report you to the Principal myself.”

 

“Hah!” Jiyeon sneered. “Are you really threatening us right now, Seo Kangjoon?”

 

Kangjoon showed them his usual flower boy smile before speaking. “It’s not a threat, sunbaenim, so leave Youngji alone.” He said with a serious face. After that, he held Youngji’s arm tightly to meet Hara.

 

“You’ll pay for this, Heo Youngji!!!” Eunjung shouted behind them, but none of the two paid the girl heed as they continued on.

 

They were walking towards the empty classroom where they usually meet when Youngji felt hot tears fall from her eyes. It wasn’t because of the physical abuse she got from Jiyeon and Hyomin, but rather from the words which the girls showered her with. Her heart felt heavy as she recalled what they told her, because there was indeed some truth to it. She tainted STORM’s spotless reputation just because of her mistake. The girls’ words towards her tugged at the guilt she was keeping to herself.

 

“Omo! What happened?!” Hara instantly ran towards Youngji as the younger girl cried. “Yah Kangjoon! Didn’t I tell you to take care of her?!” She scolded as she cradled Youngji in her arms.

 

“Those seniors were bullying her! I was gone for a minute and the next thing I know, she was being cornered on a wall!” He exclaimed.

 

“Mwo?!” Hara responded in disbelief. “Who are those seniors?! Aish, I’ll report them to the Principal as soon as I can!”

 

“I think it was Park Jiyeon’s group? They were harassing Youngji!”

 

Hara made a disapproving sound to express her incredulity. “Jinjja?! Park Jiyeon, Park Hyomin, Ham Eunjung, Park Soyeon, Lee Qri, and Jeon Boram?! Those girls, really–! They’ve always been troublemakers who think that they’re wearing tiaras that they can’t even bend down to pick up their own trash!”

 

“Unnie,” Youngji suddenly called out. “Don’t take it out on them. They… they were just telling the truth, anyway.” She dejectedly finished.

 

Hara sighed before holding the younger’s face in her hand. “Yah, where did our Heo Youngji went? You’re not like this.”

 

“Hara’s right, Youngji.” Kangjoon agreed. “Besides, didn’t we tell you that we’re here to help?”

 


A/N: No hate to T-ARA! I like Jiyeon keke ~ I just thought that they'd fit the characters since both Eunjung and Jiyeon played as villains (!!?) in Dream High 1 and 2, respectively ^^