Chapter IV

Still You

I barely had any energy left after working the long shift. 

"Gosh. This is so tiring," I said to myself. My arms and legs were all sore from lifting boxes and more boxes full of foods and drinks. I was literally dragging myself home. Arriving at the gates, I pulled out my keys and unlocked it revealing the mass amount of stairs I still had to climb before I could feel the comfort of my bed. Each step was gruesome; every muscle that was sore was needed to overcome them. I didn't make it to the door. Instead my body ended up laying on the large wooden table that always comes with a rooftop room. I closed my eyes for a second and opened them up again to see the dark sky filled with stars. The stars looked so bright in the clear night sky that I could almost touch them. I extended my arm up to the sky and tried to grab one. 

"Too far." I whispered to myself. I dropped my arm and used it to prop myself up.  I walked through the doors and saw the welcoming bed that laid in the room so lonesome. My room didn't consist of much; a small matress, a used desk that was left behind by the previous owner, the tiny bathroom, the kitchen and a mirror that hung on the wall. I threw my bag on the ground and fell on the matress. Tonight I didn't even bother with changing. Sleep won me over and I was out in an instant. 

~~~~

Saturdays are my days off in the morning and afternoon. Usually I would sleep in till the afternoon and go to the convience store to work but today I woke up early to shop for makeup and clothing for my interview this afternoon. I head over to the Etude House near my house and was welcomed by a pretty girl with foundation way to light for her skin. 

"Welcome! Are you looking for anything in particular today?" she said with a smile. 

"Well I'm looking for the basic things. I don't really wear makeup and I don't own any. Plus I have an interview this afternoon so..." I faded off hoping that was enough information for her to help me with. 

"Alrighties then. Let's start with BB creams. Our Precious Mineral BB Cream is one of the best sellers here. It's easy to use and affordable." She looked through the shades and picked the one that best matched with mine even though I knew she would pick the one that was a few shades lighter. 

"Also since you have an interview today, I would recommend very natural colors for the eyes and lips." She guided me to the area where all the eyeshadows were kept. The display has rows and rows of eyeshadows of different kinds. She looked through and picked up a dark brown color called Cafe Mocha and another lighter caramel color. She put the two eyeshadows in the pink basket that she was carrying with her. As if she was shopping for herself, she added in other items such as their new mascara and their cookie blushers. 

Right when I thought she would never end, she turned and looked at me. 

"If you like, we'll give you a discount on all your items if you get your makeup done here." she said joyfully.  

Discount? I am a er for a discount. Whether it is a discount in the market or at the clothing store, I am all for it. 

"Sure!"  I exclaimed. 

"Yay!" she said all preppy-like clapping her hands. "Come this way." 

She guides me towards the back of the store where three mirrors hung on the wall with three pink chairs right in front of them. She tells me to sit in the middle chair and wait for another person to come out. After she left, another lady comes in. She looks like she's in her mid 50's, her long hair straight and dyed a reddish brown. 

"Hello, I'll be doing your makeup today." she said. I nodded my head and handed my face over to her. She started to apply foundation on my entire face making it feel heavier than normal. Skillfully she moved on to my eyes, lips and cheeks finishing in less than 10 minutes. 

"Would you like me to do your hair as well?" she said touching the ends of my hair. Before I answered her, I looked at the time. 2:26 P.M. I still have plenty of time before my interview, I thought. I nod my head with approval and she immediatly started to play with my hair. 

When she took her hand off my head, I knew she was done. She turned my chair so I faced the mirror and I couldn't believe what I saw. My hair was put up making me look clean and professional. My makeup didn't look too heavy but enough for me to say that I did take the time to polish myself up. The corners of my mouth started to curl and I started to laugh. 

"I look so different." I went up closer to the mirror amazed at what she has done. "Thank you so much!" 

"You're very welcome~" she said. I stood up from the chair and thanked her once again. The girl from before came up to me and told me that all my items were paid for. I gave her a confused look and just past her I see a boy with a puzzled look as he looked at the eyelash curler in his hands. 

"That young man paid for it." she said pointing over to Vernon. I inhaled deeply and walked over to him. 

"Vernon." I said trying to get his attention.

His faced looked away from the curler and looked at me. He was about to say something but he paused. He almost looks speechless. 

"Vernon. Why did you pay for my stuff?" I said annoyed at what he did. "I could have paid for it myself." He kept staring at me. 

"And how did you know that I was here?" I kept asking him questions but he couldn't answer. 

"Yah! I'm talking to you!" I yelled annoyed with him not answering me. 

"You look so beautiful," he finally said. He said his words with so much depth and meaning, I was taken aback by his compliment. Now I didn't know what to say. 

He smiled at me and said, "I saw you walking in here while I was on my way to practice. I wanted to know what you were doing and saw that you were getting some stuff with that girl over there. When I came inside the girl said you were in the back getting your makeup done. So while waiting I decided to buy them for you." 

"Yah! You didn't have to do that. I brought money with me so I can buy it." I said pulling out my wallet. The girl that helped me pick out stuff gave the large bag to Vernon. From the size of the bag I realized that he bought more stuff than I needed. 

"Let's go," he grabbed my arm and takes me out of the store. I look at the time to see that it's almost 4. 

"Vernon. I got to go. I have an interview for a job opening," I said in a hurried voice. 

"No problem. My manager hyung can drive us. Where is it at?" 

"The S.M building in Hongdae." 
"S.M!?" he said surprised. "You're trying to get a job at S.M?" 

"Why? What's wrong with that?" I said nervously. 

He knew that made me nervous and he changed his tone of voice. "Oh, nothing. I just heard that it's a really good company to work at and they pay really well." 

I nodded my head relieved that he said that. Vernon takes me to the black van and inside the van are nice brown leather seats with lights on the ceiling of the car. The van was very spacious and roomy giving the passengers more leg room to stretch out. 

"Hyung take us to the S.M building in Hongdae quickly," Vernon said. 

The manager without a word started the car and drove us to the destination. 

I look out the window when we arrived. The building looks very modern and chic. In front was their logo; S.M in pink. 

"Alright good luck." Vernon said. "Fighting." 

"Thanks," I said and left the van. The van drove away as I entered the building. I arrive at the front desk where a women was typing in her little laptop, not even noticing that I came up to her. 

"Hi. I'm here for an interview at 4." I said trying to get her attention. 
"Name." she asks taking a small glance at me. 

"Uh. Kang SunJu." 

"Wait here," she said. She rummages behind the desk and slid me a pass. 

"Take this and enter through those electronic security gates. Just scan the pass and the doors should open. Then take the elevator to the 12th floor and look for room 104. That's where they'll be waiting for you." 

I thank her and made my way following her directions to room 104. When I arrived to room 104, I entered in seeing three people, two men and one woman,  sitting behind a long desk. In front of them is a small black chair obviously set up for me. 

"Have a seat," the woman said. "Now Kang SunJu. How long have you studied the English language?" 

I answer immediately and confidently. "Well I lived in America my whole life and English is basically my first language. I just moved to Korea a few months ago." They nodded their heads with approval.

"Do you do any other tutoring?" the man on the left side of the woman asked. 
I nod my head. "Yes. I tutor students in elementary and middle school." Hyun Woo's face popped up into my mind when I said that. 

"Are you capable of teaching a large group of students?" the woman asked. 

"Yes. I am very capable. I love interacting with others and helping them learn." I lied. 

They started to whisper to one another. "She's the only tutor that looks capable of teaching them." "But she's only 18. She's so young."  

Finally the other man asks, "Have you heard of the group EXO?" 

Holy crap...Am I suppose to know what EXO is? Should I lie and say yes or should I say no? EXO? They sound familiar but I couldn't figure out where I heard them. 

"I'm sorry. No. I never heard of them before." Great I'm not going to get the job, I thought. But I looked at them. They were all smiling. Smiling big, from ear to ear. 

"You're hired," the woman said. "You'll start tomorrow." I was shocked at their response. 

"Okay. Thank you very much." I said bowing to each one of them. The women presses a button on the desk and the door opens with girls rolling in bars of clothing. 

"These are your work attires. The company provides them for you. Make sure you wear them here to work. We don't want the students that you're teaching know that you're still in high school." I nodded my head. 

"Very well. Come to the building at around 11 everyday starting today." she said. 

"11 A.M? But I'll be in school." I said. 

"No silly. 11 P.M. You'll be working with idols that are too busy during the day to study. You'll have to teach them during the night when their schedules are less hectic." she stares at me. "Will that be a problem?" 

"Oh no!" I said shaking my head. "That won't be a problem at all." She nods her head with approval and walks out the door with the two other men. The girls who brought the clothes in started to hand me the work attires that are already pre-hung on hangers. Ten work attires in total. They are heavier than boxes of milk I have to carry at the convience store. I walk out of the building and find the nearest bus stop wanting to head back home to drop off the clothes I have to wear to work.

I come home and I drop all the clothes on the floor, sitting myself down with them. 

"How do they afford all these?" I said looking through each one. "Oh my gosh." Calvin Klein blouses and dresses, Marc Jacobs skirts and sweaters, and Ralph Lauren cardigans.  All these clothes are worth more than this room and how much a I'll make in a year. I shake my head with disbelief. I could honestly sell these clothes and move somewhere nicer than here. But seeing how well off this company is, they could sue me for stealing or even worse. I shudder at the idea and put the clothes aside. I have some time before I have to leave again. I take this time to nap, while imaging what my student will look like. 

~~~~

I took a taxi to the S.M building making sure I show up early to set up the classroom. I used the pass the girl at the front desk gave me earlier and made my way to room 112 this time. The room was large, glass walls instead of the regular solid plaster walls. A white board stood up front and three rows of long tables stood before it. I wrote down today's lesson on the white board with the black dry erase marker already prepared for me. As I straigten the papers for today, a group of guys walk in through the glass door and take their seat behind the long tables. 

"Hello." I said awkwardly. I looked at each one of them. Some wore hats to cover their faces, and others wore masks over their mouth. Their clothes weren't very diverse; either black or dark blue pieces of clothing with white Nikes or Adidas shoes. But they all had one thing in common; they look tired. Bored almost, as if they were working all day and they had to come to this. I knew I would see a couple of them sleeping during the lesson. 

"Well. Welcome. I'm your new teacher today. Before we start with our lesson should we introduce ourselves in English?" I said trying to wake them up. 

The guy with very light blond hair started. "Hi I'm Suho. I'm the...leader of this group." 

The guy next to him took off his black cap and spoke up, "Hello. I'm D.O. I'm vocal of the group." 

The guy after him and the very next all introduced themselves; Kai, Lay, Sehun, Baekhyun, Chen, and Xiumin. 

The guy on the very last seat with his head down didn't say anything at all. I look at him and all the other guys seem as if they were used to him acting this way. 

"Chanyeol hyung is at it again," Sehun said. 

"Um.. Chanyeol could you introduce yourself in English please." I said ever so politely. 

He raised his head slowly and looked annoyed. He avoided looking at me and stared at his friends and through the glass walls.  

"God damn it. Why do I have to be here in and listen to this crap all day? , I don't even want to be here." he continued to curse in every sentence he said. I bit my lips trying to hold back the anger. I lost my patience with him and I slammed my fist down on his table. He was surprised by what I did and finally looked up at me. 

"You listen. Do you think I want to be here too?" I said almost growling at him. "I'd rather be at home too. But no. You idols take everything so easy don't you? Just because you sing and dance a little does not mean you have the right to disrespect your teacher. I go to school 5 in the morning and after school ends I go tutor younger kids that are a whole lot more respectful than you for three hours. Then I go work again at a convience store till 10. Now I have to come here and teach rude people like you till 1 in the morning. And yet with all this work that I do I can barely pay my rent. So who do you think has it worse here?" I ended my rant and I see that his face has turned red with embaressment. 

"Alright then. We'll continue with today's lesson."

~~~

My tutoring was over. I packed all my stuff into my bag as they packed their work books and worksheets I handed them today. They leave one by one out through the glass door and I am the last one to leave. Right before I could make a couple steps past the door, a hand grabbed me by the arm. I turn around to see Chanyeol. He was waiting for me. 
"What do you want?" I said still mad at him. 

"I'm sorry for earlier during class. I was just really tired." he didn't look at me. His eyes stayed glued to the ground. I look at him and reach for his black hair. 

Ruffling his head playfully, I gave him a smile. "It's alright. We all have our days right?" He finally looks up at me and blushes. 

"Remember to study alright?" I remind him. He nodds his head looking relieved. 

He's cute, I thought.