Smile

The Promise

December 2011
Jaeli

 

As soon as I realized I’ve been staring for a few seconds too long, I quickly shifted my eyes back to my table, suddenly finding the steam squiggles to be the most fascinating thing in the world. A deep chuckle echoed in my ears, leading me to take a chance and glance once again at the handsome guy. He was in the process of looking away from me, having a slight smile on his face as he walked towards Jungkook to place an order. I on the other hand, was left sliding ever so slightly down in my seat, face burning, eyelids fluttering, mind fuzzy with the image of him. Oh god, he saw me look at him again. I’ve dated a few guys in my life, but never had they left such a deep impression from first glance as much as this mysterious guy has.
 

I shifted in my seat to face towards the window again. Looking at anything to stop thinking of the guy who was currently only a few feet away from me. I began to stare at the lights wrapped around as I thought back to him. His hair looked so soft, the color complimenting him well. His face, so smooth looking, and his eyes, ugh, so alluring. As I tried to recall as much as I could of him, I lifted my hand to grasp my cup to take another sip, not breaking my gaze from the window.

 

Huh. This doesn’t feel like my cup. Confused, I looked at the table to see what I touched. That, is definitely not a cup. That is a hand. My eyes trailed up the hand, along the white coat, to the face that has been occupying me for the past few moments. There he was, just standing there, next to my table. I quickly retracted my hand and straightened my posture.

 

“Hello, I hope you don’t mind, but may I sit here as well?” Never have I heard a voice so deep. “I couldn’t pass up the chance to sit next to such a pretty lady.”
 

Well there goes my heart. Not trusting myself to not stutter, I quickly nodded my head. He slid into the booth across from me, and once settled, looked directly into my eyes. Realizing that I was looking straight back at him, his face broke out into a grin.

 

Oh. My. Goodness. His smile, kill me now. He has such a beautiful smile, it makes his whole face brighten. It’s even rectangular shape, showing all his pearly whites. Glancing above his smile, I found the most adorable little mole near the tip of his nose, off to the left a little. Wait, shoot, he’s still looking at you. Come on, say something Jaeli.

 

“So, are you a regular?” Nice going, Jaeli, that’s really the first thing you’re going to ask him?
 

Chuckling he responds, “No, I’m new to this area actually.”

 

“Oh… I see.” Ugh. Jaeli, you’re so smooth. Now he’ll probably want to get away. There goes your chance.

 

“But I wouldn’t mind becoming a regular if that means I get to see such a beauty like you often,” he grinned, leaning back into his seat, satisfied with his response. I lost my train of thought once he spoke again. Wow, he’s smooth.
 

Blushing, “Well, i-if you want to see me often, it doesn’t have to be restricted to here. I mean, not like I want to ask you on a date or anything! I just, you know, so that you get to know the area more.” I rambled, flustered at the thought of having the opportunity to hang out with this person.
 

He rose an eyebrow, the corner of one side of his lips curving upward into a smirk. “My, my. I don’t know your name yet but you already want to go on a date?”
 

Before I could blurt a response, Jungkook came over with the guy’s drink.
 

“Here you go sir, a hazelnut coffee with two pumps of caramel. Enjoy!” As he set the drink down, he glanced over at me, giving me a look, with one eyebrow cocked upwards. I promise Kookie, I’ll tell you all about this later.

 

I couldn’t help but stare at his steaming drink in awe.
 

“Would you like to try it? You’re staring like you want some,” he giggled. Wow, even his laugh is cute. What isn’t cute about him?
 

“Oh, no. It’s just, well, that’s exactly what I always order,” I said mindlessly.

 

Snickering,  “Well, missy, looks like we have something in common.” As I was trying to repress my blush as much as possible, he lifted his drink to his lips, blew on it a couple times, then proceeded to take a sip. Once he finished, he looked at me once again.
 

“Taehyung. The name’s Taehyung. Mind telling me what your name is?”
 

“Jaeli, it’s Jaeli.”
 

Responding back, with that mesmerizing rectangular smile, “A lovely name for an as equally love face.”

 

And for the nth time that night, I was left with a smile.