E

of dreams and dust (and shooting star)

2015

 

 

It was the summer after our graduation from university.

One night in Bordeaux, I saw Krystal and Taemin sitting on the staircase of our house. She was combing her hair and humming an English song that I didn't know, while Taemin smoked a cigarette. I joined them from upstairs and sat down on the lower level of the stairs from Krystal.

“Hey, guys. Look at what I’ve made,” I turned to face them and showed my handmade flower crown. I made it out of boredom earlier in the meadow that afternoon when Taemin was taking a nap and Krystal was writing something on her journal.

“That. Is. Beautiful!” she almost screamed. Like always, daisies thingy was her favorite thing.

“Didn’t see that coming from you, Kai. So artsy,” Taemin teased me as he took the last puff of his cig.

“Surprise, surprise,” I replied nonchalantly. I raised my hands above Krystal’s head, “I think this will suit you.”

I placed the flower crown carefully on her head and brushed a few strands of her hair. She closed her eyes when I did that, sending this fluttering feeling down to my spine.

“How do I look?” she asked me right after I pulled my hand back.

I was looking at her and she was so beautiful.

“Pretty, as always,” I said as I tuck some strands of her hair behind her left ear.

Taemin moved his head closer to see Krystal’s face. His lips curled up into a smile, showing a hint of satisfaction. “Like a goddess,” he said as he touched the yellow flowers on the crown.

“I want to take a picture. Anyone brings a phone?” Krystal asked.

“I’ll take mine. I left it upstairs,” Taemin went up to the second floor. He suddenly yelled, “guys, I need to search through my room first. I forget where it was. Hold on!”

“God damn it, Taemin,” I muttered, clearly annoyed with my brother’s forgetful behavior.

Krystal laughed at my response. “You sure are Taemin’s twin. Your way of cursing is just the same as his.”

“But one thing for sure; I love you more than he does,” I said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Her grin slowly turned into a bitter one. She looked away, staring at her knees even though I knew she knew that I was looking at her. In just seconds, I could feel the increasing tense between us. Her pupils dilated as I closely followed her eyes’ movement.

“But, Kai, love is an illusion,” her voice almost sounded like a whisper.

“Not when you take the right drugs,” I replied.

After giving her a peck on her temple and patted her head, I left her alone to hear the song of the nightingale.