Five.

Twelve Meters and Closer
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Hanbin smiled widely as he watched Jiwon's older friends toss each other jokes, food and beer. He had finally convinced him to take a break from studying, and they were all enjoying a night of music and friends. Jiwon had finished his set with his other friends, much to the applause of the audience.

Hanbin thought his brother looked especially happy. He had nothing to worry about.

Chaerin was at the other table, her arm draped over another friend, as she caught Hanbin's gaze and winked. "Come over here, Kim Hanbin." she called out. He obediently went, and in his arms she him a beer. "Good to see you here, finally. Jiwon won't shut up about you."

Hanbin smiled gratefully. "Thanks noona, but I might have had enough."

Chaerin laughed. "Psh. Don't worry, you're gonna be okay. And Jiwon? He'll bring you home if you get plastered. He's never failed to make it to his place even if he can't see straight." at this, Hanbin shook his head and looked doubtfully at the bottle. "Then I might have to stay even more sober, then." Chaerin chuckled in understanding.

 

"Where is Jiwon??" He heard somebody ask from the group. "He's been gone for too long. It's been twenty since he last said he'll get us more food."

"He probably took the whole fridge then," someone else said jokingly. "He'll be back."

 

Hanbin wasn't too worried about Jiwon, but all the beer and spiced food he ate, plus the cigarette smoke that permeated the basement bar was making him feel stuffy. He then excused himself minutes after, saying he'll just step out for a while.

 

12:08mn, his phone read. He relished the cool summer air that hit him as soon as he made it outside. He breathed in deeply and let out a long breath. This feels great, he thought. I feel great. Next year, I'll be in university with Jinhwan, and Jiwon will make it big --

 

His thoughts were interrupted by a yelp around the corner of the street, followed by a man's low growling voice. Sensing trouble, he quietly made his way to get a good look --

 

"Hyung!" He sprinted to where his older brother lay bloody, bruised, and under mercy of a tall boy who looked blankly at Hanbin and Jiwon.

"Who the hell are you?? What did you do to my brother??" Hanbin glared at the tall boy, who continued to peer over at them. His eyes were bloodshot, but he followed every little movement Jiwon was making. Jiwon winced in pain as he sat up, and lightly pushed Hanbin away.

"Hanbinnie, go back. We're talking. We'll be done soon." Jiwon coughed out, smiling weakly. "Shall we discuss this in a less trafficked area, Hunchul-ah?"

"There's nothing to talk about, Hyung, with you like this. Let's go," Hanbin put his hand on Jiwon's shoulder; but to his surprise, Jiwon shook it off and pushed him away.

"I said I'll be back soon. Go, Hanbin-ah." Jiwon said harshly. Hanbin stared dumbfoundedly at his brother. Hanbin racked his brain for anything sensible to say to convince him, but the only thing he could come up with was, "Are you crazy??"

"Go away, Hanbin." Jiwon snarled. He poised himself on his knees and stood back up, facing the tall boy named Hunchul, staring intently. He clutched at his bruised torso and limped slowly to him, his face inches away.

 

Hanbin could only stare as he slowly backed away and mindlessly searched his pockets for his phone, watching Jiwon and Hunchul mutter angrily in low voices. Hanbin spotted his phone a few steps away, where he had unconsciously dropped it in a hurry to his brother.

 

He looked away for a split second; then he was startled by his brother's yell. "Do it!! I'm done!"

 

Cursing Jiwon, Hunchul let out a snarl...and a loud bang was heard. Hanbin turned in shock at his brother's crumpled form, bleeding heavily on the pavement.

 

"...Hyung!!"

 

 

 

 

He sat in silence as he stared for God knows how long at the dark sky. Hayi sat patiently beside him, swinging her legs forward and back, forward and back...

 

"Hey...Lee Hayi-ssi," he finally spoke. "I heard from my brother before that you became friends with Jiwon-hyung."

"Uh-huh."

"What did you think of him?"

 

Hayi found it an odd question, but a question nonetheless.

"He was...funny." She answered simply. Hanbin chuckled. "I already know that. That's the first thing anybody says about him."

"Well, I didn't know him very well. Or rather, he's an enigma."

"Something tells me you'd re

Please log in to read the full chapter