Four.

Twelve Meters and Closer
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It was an unknown fact, save for the family.

 

The 10th of July was not, in fact, the date of Kim Jiwon's death; but the last day they had seen him before that unfortunate day.

 

It had been then the curious practice of the family to remember him on the day before he had died.

 

Nobody outside the family remembered this.

 

Yet on the second year, it seemed to Hanbin that it was fruitless, no matter when it was commemorated;

Hyung is dead.

 

He tried to go by the routine as he again stayed in his family's home for three days. He bought bread at five a.m., watched the morning news with his father, ate a breakfast of eggs and toast with Jinhwan, piggybacked an overly-zealous Hanbyul to school, and again when he brought her home.

 

It was, in a sense, normal.

 

But he hated the term. He hated the casual quality of it. Because for him, life ceased to be normal the day Jiwon stopped breathing.

 

The only person whom he surmised could understand how he felt was his mother. This was why he greatly preferred keeping her company at home than going out to meet friends.

 

Yet his mother had slapped on a brave face, and sitting with her in the living room, proceeded to fold laundry with much energy and grimness.

 

Hanbin watched her for a few minutes, before offering, "Can I help?"

 

"No, dear," came his mother's brisk reply. She didn't pause, nor look up. "You come very rarely, for me to put you to task of folding laundry."

 

Hanbin laughed, in spite of himself. He stretched his limbs wide, then slouched forward in his seat, elbows on his knees. After a long hard while of looking at her, and hesitating much, he let his question roll off his tongue. "How have you been, mom?"

 

She paused then, mid-fold, like she was jolted out of something. But, shaking her head profusely, she continued with her task. "Well. Better, if you ask me," she smiled, "Perhaps I should ask you how you've been." She finally gazed at him with hooded eyes. "You're not moving back." It was a statement rather than a question.

 

Hanbin smiled ruefully, as his mother only let out a sigh. "It's not like I can stop you from doing what you want."

 

"I love you mom. It's just hard."

"I know. It wasn't an easy death to start with."

"No death is easy, mom."

"Good point."

 

They fell silent once again, and the only sound that can be heard is the fan, whirring overhead. Hanbin felt like a dam about to break.

 

"I'm going to get some air."

"Now? Jinhwan will be home soon. Then we'll eat; your father will be home late."

 

"I won't take long, mom. I'm sort of bored, without any laundry to fold." Hanbin joked. His mother cracked a smile. "Fine. Don't be out too late."

But hours later, contrary to his mother's wishes, he was still out.

 

9:07pm, his phone read. Jinhwan called three times and sent two messages at 6, then another call and two more texts before dinner started at 7. By eight p.m., he gave up calling and sent one text.

 

He didn't read nor answer any of them.

Please log in to read the full chapter