Getting to Know them at Last?

Wooing Woohyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I flipped my hair as my mom rushed us to go through the scan.

After my family finished, we gathered our belongings and decided to leave when the other four people were still lingering behind. Mrs.Annie, Woohyun, and Myungsoo impatiently waited for their dad who got held back for his metal belt.

“We’ll meet up with you guys at the concession stand later. Bye,” my mom bidded as we left them.

When we arrived at the stand, I immediately took out my Teen Top cards and began dividing it among my dad, sister, and me. Right when we were about to begin the game of Slapjack, the other family arrived.  

   “I’m Myungsoo.” He offered a curt wave and just waited for whatever was going to happen next. I guessed that his parents had forced him to start introductions against his will. Skyler was clearly being polite and nodding along to their introduction, whereas I was too busy dealing out the playing cards between Skyler, my dad, and me. I didn’t even know if it was the older or younger guy who had just introduced himself.

“Woohyun, introduce yourself,” Mrs.Annie said when she noticed the guy wouldn’t even spare a second away from his phone. I wondered who he was texting that made him so intrigued. Oh well, I guess I’d find out later.

He sighed and reluctantly averted his eyes. “Hey, I’m Woohyun.” And that was all.

Mrs.Annie sighed. “Sorry, you guys. He usually talks so much at home. He’s just shy now.” She rubbed his back and he fought against the gesture. She retracted her hand and just shook it off. “Anyway, I’m Annie, your mom’s friend. And that,” she gestured toward the man sitting with them. “Is my… well, their father.”

I knew they were getting a divorce soon. My mom had specifically warned Skyler and me to not provoke anything on that issue. Now I see why; Mrs.Annie was clearly trying to not associate herself with her husband anymore. I really hoped the vacation wouldn’t be awkward with their situation.

“Hi, I’m Skyler.”

Since I was too occupied dealing the cards, I didn’t notice the silence surrounding me. When I looked up, everyone was staring at me. “Oh, uhh… I’m Kina, I guess.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter