Where do broken hearts go?

Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

Counted all my mistakes and there's only one
Standing out from the list of the things I've done
All the rest of my crimes don't come close
To the look on your face when I let you go

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were supposed to be forever. At least, that's what Baekhyun thought. But alas, in the end, Chanyeol let him go. It started off as a small argument about Chanyeol telling his parents about them, he didn't want to because of their views on homouals. But Baekhyun wanted him to tell them, he was fed up of keeping their relationship a secret. He loved Chanyeol and he wanted everyone to know, he wanted Chanyeol to stop worrying about being caught out. The argument got nasty, insults flying from both sides. Neither one of them would back down, both overtaken with pride. Amidst the name calling, Baekhyun shouted "If you don't want to be with me then why don't we just break up!" To which Chanyeol stupidly replied "Fine!" Then Baekhyun ran into their shared room and packed a bag, running out of the house as fast as possible while Chanyeol slowly realised what he'd done. But instead of chasing after the love of his life, he sat on the kitchen floor and cried in self pity. 
They'd fought before, both done stupid things. Chanyeol had messed up more times than he could count, but never like this, never in a way to make Baekhyun leave him. He'd once talked to his ex boyfriend, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun had thrown a fit. But after a calm talk and a promise to never talk to Kyungsoo again on Chanyeol's part, everything was okay again. There was also the time that Chanyeol accidentally used one of Baekhyun's favourite towels when he was dying his hair, consequently staining it with the dark dye. Baekhyun made him go out and buy him a new one and that was that. 
This was the argument that broke them. Chanyeol knew he'd made a huge mistake, but he didn't know how to fix it. He had to give Baekhyun some space, and time to calm down. He wanted him back. He needed him by his side. He should have never let him go.

 

So I built you a house from a broken home
And I wrote you a song with the words you spoke

 

While Baekhyun was gone, Chanyeol still didn't know where yet Chanyeol decided that he would do as much as he can to win him over. Starting off with their home. It was quite an old house, with lots of damage and mismatched furniture. But it was all they could afford when they were looking for somewhere. Chanyeol fixed up as much as he could in one day by himself. He painted walls, fixed plumbing, tidied up, bought new furniture. He wanted to bring Baekhyun back to a proper home, not the same dump they'd had for months. He spent a lot of time in their bedroom, disposing of the mould by the window because Baekhyun was always complaining about the smell and painting the walls a pale blue since it was Baekhyun's favourite colour. He was pleased with his work and decided to try calling his missing boyfriend. But after ten tries he figured Baekhyun wasn't ready to talk to him. So he spent the first night in month alone in his bed.
The next day he figured he'd need a better plan. He needed something bigger than just a diy house makeover to win Baekhyun over. So he picked up his old guitar that he'd got way back when he was in high school and began to play a few chords. He wanted to write a song for Baekhyun, but he knew that he couldn't sing as well as his short boyfriend could. Nevertheless, he attempted it anyway, ending up with a cheesy but catchy love long emphasising how sorry he is and how much he loves Baekhyun. He hoped that with the song and the home improvement, he might be able to get Baekhyun to forgive him.

 

Yeah, it took me some time but I figured out
How to fix up a heart that I let down

 

Chanyeol had always been terrible at apologising. Occasionally, he would end up turning the situation onto Baekhyun. It was one of his worst character traits and he knew it. In the past, instead of apologising, he'd just yelled back at Baekhyun. He caused so many arguments, but they loved each other and so it always worked out in the end. He knew that this time he'd really hurt Baekhyun and it would take a lot to make it up to him. He just hoped that it would all turn out alright this time.

 

Now I'm searching every lonely place
Every corner calling out your name
Tryna find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?
Where do broken hearts go?

 

He called Baekhyun again, but there was still no answer. Baekhyun was clearly avoiding him. So Chanyeol thought about all the places he would go. He called Baekhyun's parents first, since he knew Baekhyun was close to them.but they told him that they hadn't heard from Baekhyun in a few days and Chanyeol tried not to be too disappointed. Next he tried Baekhyun's best friend, Luhan, who was Chinese and didn't like Chanyeol that much. It was a task in itself just to get Luhan to give him a proper answer instead of accusing Chanyeol of doing something wrong since he didn't know where Baekhyun was. Eventually, Luhan gave in, since Chanyeol sounded so desperate, and told him that Baekhyun had stayed the night but left early in the morning and he hadn't seen him since but he may know where he had gone. As soon as Luhan told Chanyeol about the park where Baekhyun used to go when he was upset, Chanyeol ran out the door in record time.

 

Yeah, the a taste of your lips on the tip of my tongue
Is at the top of the list of the things I want
Mind is running in circles of you and me
Anyone in between is the enemy

 

The park was quite far from where they lived so Chanyeol had to take a bus. The whole journey all he could think about was Baekhyun. How much he missed Baekhyun. He missed holding the smaller in his arms, the taste of his lips, the sound of his laugh. He desperately wanted him back. He thought back to when they first met, it was Chanyeol's first day at his new job in a coffee shop and Baekhyun was his first customer. He ended up breaking the coffee machine and one of his coworkers had to fix it for him, which meant Baekhyun had to wait ages. Then, when he finally made the coffee, he ended up spilling it all over Baekhyun. Turns out, Baekhyun thought his clumsiness was cute and ended up visiting the shop often just to see the clumsy giant. Eventually, Chanyeol plucked up the courage to ask Baekhyun out and the latter said yes. They spent their first date at an amusement park and the rest is history.
Chanyeol smiled at the memories of him and his boyfriend. Then the bus stopped. But it wasn't at the right stop yet, it had broken down. Chanyeol asked the driver what was going on and the driver told him that he would have to wait for another bus since that one wasn't going anywhere. But Chanyeol didn't have time so he grabbed his guitar and began his journey by foot.

 

Shadows come with the pain that you're running from
Love was something you've never heard enough

 

As he was walking, he thought about how much he loved Baekhyun and realised that he barely ever told the shorter that. It was very rare for Chanyeol to say those three words to his boyfriend, though Baekhyun said it all the time. Chanyeol felt bad, he was worried that Baekhyun might have thought that he didn't love him since he didn't say it that much. He decided that those would be the first three word he would say to Baekhyun when he saw him. He wanted Baekhyun to know that he loved him. He knew that Baekhyun had a history of being hurt and used by the ones he loved and he didn't want to ever hurt Baekhyun.

 

Yeah, it took me some time but I figured out
How to fix up a heart that I let down

 

Chanyeol's legs hurt from walking. He knew he couldn't have much further to go, he'd already been walking for so long. He was feeling hot and out of breath as he approached a zebra crossing. He held his guitar close as he waited for the light to turn green, signalling that he can cross safely. He hoped to god that Baekhyun was at this park, if not then he had just wasted his time. 

 

Now I'm searching every lonely place
Every corner calling out your name
Tryna find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?

 

The light turned green and Chanyeol began to cross. He felt good. It was going to be okay. He was going to apologise to Baekhyun and tell him that he loved him, then he would sing the song and take Baekhyun to their now lovely home. It would all be perfect. 
He was smiling when the car zoomed round the corner, too caught up in his own mind to notice that it didn't slow down as it approached. Didn't notice anything until it hit him. He felt an immense pain for a few minutes, like nothing he'd ever felt before. But through the pain he thought of Baekhyun so he called out his name as if the man could hear him. Then everything was black.

 

Are you sleeping, baby by yourself?
Or are you giving it to someone else?
Try to find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?
Where do broken hearts go?

 

Baekhyun stared at the sky, swinging slightly on the swing in the park. He wanted to see Chanyeol. But he was scared that Chanyeol had meant what he said, that he didn't want to be with Baekhyun anymore. He wondered if Chanyeol had slept alone in their bed last night. He tried not to imagine Chanyeol deciding to hook up with someone else since Baekhyun had left. He knew the idea was ridiculous, he knew Chanyeol wouldn't do that. But he just didn't know what to think after the argument. Chanyeol hadn't come after him and that hurt a lot. He was sure Chanyeol must of figured out where he was by now. Baekhyun pulled his phone out of his pocket and turned it on, frowning at all the missed calls from his boyfriend.

 

Tell me now, tell me now,
Tell me where you go when you feel afraid?
Tell me now, tell me now,
Tell me will you ever love me again, love me again?

 

Baekhyun decided that if the taller rang him again, he would answer. That's when Luhan called him and told him that Chanyeol was probably on his way if he wasn't already there. Baekhyun unconsciously smiled at the thought of seeing his boyfriend. He'd been so scared that he'd end up alone, that Chanyeol would never come after him. But he was on his way. He loved him. That was all that mattered. So Baekhyun put his phone back in his pocket and waited. 

 

Now I'm searching every lonely place
Every corner calling out your name
Tryna find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?

 

After an hour Baekhyun was worried. What if Luhan had been wrong and Chanyeol wasn't coming for him? What if he didn't love him anymore? Baekhyun was panicking when he phone began vibrating in his pocket. It was Chanyeol.
"Chanyeol?" He whispered into the phone.
"Are you Byun Baekhyun?" An unfamiliar voice asked from the other end.
"Yes. Who's this? Why do you have Chanyeol's phone?" He asked, confused.
"I'm so sorry Mr Byun. My name is doctor Kim, I'm afraid Chanyeol just passed away." Baekhyun's whole world stopped and he dropped the phone onto the floor. His Chanyeol was...dead?

 

Are you sleeping, baby, by yourself?
Or are you giving it to someone else?
Try to find you but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go?

 

The hospital was too noisy for Baekhyun's liking. The same doctor from the phone was getting him to fill in forms. Baekhyun hadn't cried yet, he still didn't believe it. He couldn't believe it. Not his Chanyeol. Apparently he'd been hit by a car, clearly while he was on his way to see Baekhyun. The doctor then asked if Baekhyun could identify the body and Baekhyun just nodded numbly.

 

Tell me where you're hiding out
Where do broken hearts go?
Come on, baby, 'cause I need you now
Where do broken hearts go?
Tell me, 'cause I’m ten feet down
Where do broken hearts go?

 

Chanyeol's body was lying on a metal table, cover with a white cloth. Baekhyun stared, trying to come to terms with it. Chanyeol was dead, that was his body. He was gone. He wasn't coming back. Baekhyun touched Chanyeol's face, it was cold. Chanyeol wasn't in there anymore, it was just an empty shell of the man he used to love. Baekhyun fell to the floor, tears streaming down his face. He was broken. Chanyeol was gone.

 

Come on, baby, come and get me out
Come on, baby, come and get me out
Come on, baby, 'cause I need you now

 

Baekhyun held Chanyeol's broken guitar in his hands. He'd found a piece of paper with a song composed by Chanyeol on it, it was titled "Baekhyun's song" and Baekhyun knew he would have forgiven Chanyeol. The house seemed different, but Baekhyun could barely think of anything but Chanyeol. How was he supposed to live without him? He needed Chanyeol. He needed him more than he needed to breathe. 

 

Where do broken hearts go?
Where do broken hearts go?
Where do broken hearts go?
Where do broken hearts go?

 

Baekhyun didn't want to live without his Chanyeol. There was no point to anything without the love of his life. The feeling of the blade ripping his skin barely hurt at all, he was still numb from the heartbreak. If he could no longer be with Chanyeol in this life then he would have to join him in the next. Broken hearts always go back to the ones who broke them so that they can become whole again.