one

The Lovely Bride

2006

            “Why are you here?”, she didn’t bother to look at the source of the voice. “The guests have been asking you”, the voice which belong to her unnie told her. She’s standing in the balcony facing the entrance of their house. There was a party happening inside which happen to be her engagement party. Her unnie stops beside her.

                “Want to have a sip?”, her sister asked. That made her turn to look at her sister.

“Is it okay?”, she asked back.

                Her unnie smiled and handed her the wine glass, she took a sip and smiled, “I like it”, she said. “Not the taste I expected.” This time she finished the remaining drink in the glass. Her sister spoke right after she handed back the glass to her.

                “If you’re waiting for Seunghyun he won’t make it.”, she said. Yoona frowned ,disappointment all over her face. If he can’t make it then why do they need to throw a party for this engagement? Who in their right mind to invite people to a engagement party if the other half is not going to attend his/her own engagement! But instead of letting out her frustrations, “why do you know?”, she ask.

                “He called.” Her sister simply told her. Her unnie turned her body to face her and she saw the look her sister is giving to her: pity. Her sister is pitying her and right at that moment she wants to hate her, scream at her unnie to tell her she doesn’t need her pity.

                Don’t get her wrong, she love her unnie. When her mother left them her sister became the mother to her. And because their father was always away with his business trips her it was her unnie who always took care of her, saving her from those bullies who always for not having a mother.

                She let out a sigh. Suppressing herself to go call Seunghyun and demand a reason why he couldn’t make it to their engagement party because she does not have the right and they are not married yet. She can’t help but to feel angry to him. Does he have no shame to her? He broke his promised to her,again.

                “I know you are disappointed to him right now but, Yoona, try to understand him,” her sister who seems to know what she’s feeling told her.

                “He should’ve not requested this party if he doesn’t have a plan to attend it in the first place, unnie.” She said. It’s no use trying to deny what she’s feeling ‘coz her unnie knows her better than herself. Her sister who does not know what to say hug her. After a minute her sister let go of the hug.

                “Now go back inside.”

                “You go ahead, unnie.” Yoona said.

                A moment past and she’s still standing outside. She took a deep breath and decided to go back inside. Upon she reached the living room someone approached her.

                “There you are dear,” a middle age woman said. “please excuse my son for not able to attend your engagement party.” Upon saying those words the man beside the woman snorted. “I don’t know what’s gotten into Seunghyun’s head and decided to ditch this party he himself requested.” The man said, clearly disappointed.

                “It’s okay, uncle choi and aunty,” Yoona said with a small smile. “Atleast you two are present.” The couple just look at her giving her a sad smile. Yoona can’t stand it anymore decided to excuse herself saying she needs to rest already because she still has a class tomorrow.

                When she was inside the comfort of her room she throw her body in  her bed and took a pillow using it for suppressing her scream out of her frustrations. Her father left early the party after receiving a call saying it was important and her own fiancée was no show. She wasn’t feeling happy at all.

 

                Yoona woke up because of nature call. After doing her business she search for her to look at the time. She suddenly feels thirsty and decided to get water. Silence greeted her in the hallway.

                “I wonder if dad is back already?” she thought. She was about to go down when she heard faint voices.

                “Oh c’mon, Seunghyun-ah. I’m sure Mr. Im’s daughteris already sleeping,” the voice belong to her father’s secretary.

            “Seunghyun oppa?” she thought. She’s talking to her husband to be.

            “I’m sure she is mad to me. I disappoint her again.” She heard Seunghyun said. “Damn those intstructors, I already told them I need to attend an important meeting but they kept us repeating tose steps and lines!” He cursed.

            After confirming that the voices is coming from the balcony she carefully walked towards them and hid herself behind the curtain. From her hiding place she peeked and saw her father’s secretary hug Seunghyun. She felt her heart ache.

            The secretary giggled. “why the rush Seunghyun-ah.” She placed a kiss on his jaw and to his lips.

Why he’s letting her kissed him?!” Yoona scream in her head.

He let out a sigh. “Why are you doing this, noona?” the woman did not answer him. “If you have nothing to say, excuse me, I have to see my fiancée and explain-“

“Even if you do that , you still did not make it to you guys party and disappointed her once again. You can’t changed that fact Seunghyun. Just explain it to her tomorrow.” She pushed him down on the chair place near the railing.

            “Noona, this is wrong. We should-“ his words got cut when the woman in front of him place a finger on his lips.

            “Shhh, I missed you, babe. Maybe we won’t get spent a time together like this next time if you get married to that kid.” She sat in Seunghyun’s lap and started giving him kisses.