Epilogue

pendulum
Four years have passed, yet I still find myself wondering what if? To this day, I can still feel the lingering sunlight that graced my bittersweet smile as the two of us swung up and down on the swings. The cute dimple that I adore whenever she smiled is something I still miss dearly, the crinkle that appears on the corner of her eyes whenever she laughed will always have the ability to make my heart sing, and the furrowed eyebrows that never failed to show up whenever she pouted continues to make my protective instincts go haywire. God. Why couldn’t I just tell her? I was the one who had chosen to leave, and yet, I had the audacity to wish she held me back.

Things have changed since then though. Minyoung ended up liking Europe so much she applied for, and got a teaching position in Germany, while I landed an internship in New York alongside my graduate program. I couldn’t make it back to visit this summer and she leaves for good in two days. It’s now her turn to embark on a journey she can call her own, and yet I find it hard to let her go. As I watch the autumn leaves fall to the ground, I realize that my days as her pillar of support has finally come to an end. Like summer, the people in our lives come and go, staying only temporarily and leaving when it is time for the next to arrive. Unsaid words still remain, but I don’t think I’ll ever find the courage to let her know. Reluctantly, I finally say goodbye and wait patiently for the next summer to arrive.