Back to Business

The Little Things

 

 

The tour was finally over. The boyband had performed in Seoul and Japan - as always - and traveled to South America and Mexico for the first time. Now they were back in their home country with their own hectic schedules. 
 
Jonghyun relaxed at his home since his radio show didn't air until midnight; Minho filmed for his medical drama Medical Top Team; Key filmed for his 'reality' show We Got Married with Japanese model Yagi Arisa. Taemin remained hidden from the public in order to prepare for his upcoming solo debut.
 
Onew, on the other hand, had a short web sitcom to film for, but that wasn't for another two weeks. Until then, all he could do is rehearse his lines at the dorm. He was the only one there now. Jonghyun and Key had their own places, and Taemin resided in his parents' home. The thought of leaving for the military didn't escape his mind. 
 
Onew's thoughts were interrupted by a finger poking his cheek. He turned his head in the direction of the finger, coming across Taemin, who was smiling surreptitiously. 
 
Unfortunately, the maknae's playful joke failed to alter the leader's morose expression. "What are you doing here?" Onew asked monotonously. "Aren't you supposed to be prepping for your solo?"
 
Taemin's expression dropped. "Yah, wae geurae (why are you like this)? You look so down."
 
Onew turned away from him. "It's nothing. I'm just bored. What about you?"
 
"What? I can't come to the dorm now?" Onew avoided looking at him. Taemin squeezed his shoulder. "Hyung, what's wrong?" Taemin's tone grew more serious. 
 
"It's fine, Tae."
 
"No it's not. What is it?"
 
Onew sighed. He didn't want to come off as such a downer. He felt that it was easier to talk to Taemin if he wasn't looking at him. "I don't know... lately I can't help but feel that I'm useless..."
 
Taemin blinked his eyes. Was he actually hearing what he thought he heard? "What do you mean?"
 
"I don't feel useful. I don't feel needed. All of you are grown up and branching out doing your own stuff, and I'm just here like-"
 
"Don't say that." Taemin scolded harshly. 
 
Onew turned toward him, alarmed by his harsh tone. "Taemin I-" 
 
Taemin grabbed the leader's forearm. "Don't you ever say that."
 
His eyes widened. "Taemin-"
 
"Useless? USELESS!? Hyung! Are you even hearing yourself!?" Taemin raised his voice. "This is the hyung who mentored me in vocals ever since we were trainees! You helped me with my singing because I couldn't sing for life! You're the person that brings all five of us together! And you think you're useless!?"
 
It was the leader's turn to raise his voice. "Geurae (that's right), I mentored you in singing, and now look at you! You're a well-rounded artist who's gonna go solo soon! I could never do that! I'm much older. I can't dance like that. You don't need me! You're your own person!"
 
"HYUNG-"
 
"TAEMIN! I lost my voice." He slightly lowered his tone. "For five months I couldn't sing. FIVE MONTHS!! None of the members needed me then! They didn't need me when you guys were performing without me! They won't need me now! And what if I lose my voice permanently? Then I'm truly nothing."
 
Taemin couldn't hold himself back. "Onew! You are not nothing." He cupped the leader's face and forced it to face him. "You are the leader of our group! You're the one who brings us together! Me? I'm just a dancer who wants to do more with my life. I could never be the singer that you are! You're on a whole other level! You're my mentor! My vocal teacher! My guide! And so what if you do lose your voice? You're an asset to our group! You have millions of fans who love and support you! You have a place in the industry that no one can match up to! Don't you ever think for one second that you're not needed. We'll always need you. You got that!?" 
 
When the maknae finished rambling, he started to wonder why Onew was staring at him so intensely. He realized that their faces were closer to each other than they were two minutes ago. Taemin resisted the urge to caress Onew's cheeks, to pull him closer, to his lips, to kiss him...
 
Snapping himself out of these thoughts, Taemin released Onew's face, and they both looked away from each other in silence. 
 
After a moment of silence, Onew spoke up. "You really think so?"
 
Taemin was once again lost in his thoughts. He couldn't get over how close he was to the leader's face for that long moment. He couldn't stop looking at the leader's gentle eyes. Hearing Onew's voice, he turned slightly toward him. "What?"
 
"You really think of me like that?"
 
Recalling what he had said just a few minutes ago, he replied, "Of course, Hyung. You're not someone who can be replaced." 
 
He cracked a small smile. "You really meant everything you said?"
 
"Of course I do."
 
Onew smiled to himself, happy to know that someone didn't think he was useless. He repositioned his body so his left elbow rested on the back of the couch, supporting his head. "So how's your solo going?"
 
Taemin followed suit so the two men were now facing each other. "Pretty well actually. I feel like I can finally express myself in a way no one's seen, you know?"
 
"Lemme guess: MJ?"
 
"Guilty." They both laughed. "You know I love Michael Jackson. Still, I get to dance and sing more."
 
"It's gonna be hard, though. Singing and dancing all by yourself. And you have to support yourself throughout the whole song."
 
"True. But since it's all geared toward my style it won't be that hard. And Jonghyun Hyung wrote this one song for me and Kai's gonna feature!"
 
"Nice. You must be thrilled. Having your best friend on the track."
 
"Yeaaa it's gonna be awesome! Oh yea, you have your drama, right? How's that going?"
 
"It doesn't start for another two weeks. But I'm rehearsing my lines well."
 
"What exactly is it about?"
 
"Basically these two unemployed men end up living with a female ghost." Taemin furrowed his eyebrows. "My thoughts exactly."
 
"Well at least it's somewhat original. Lately dramas have been following the same formula. A rich arrogant dude treats a poor, pitiful girl like crap and then falls for her."
 
"True. This drama isn't much like that. It's more of a sitcom actually. It's pretty funny here and there."
 
"That's good. Is there gonna be a kiss scene?" Onew's eyes widened for a second and his smile disappeared. Taemin suddenly realized what he had just said and looked away from Onew. "U-Uh about that-"
 
"I don't think so. I only got the script for the first few episodes. I only read the first few. So far no kiss." Onew looked at Taemin with a confused look. He was almost certain he had noticed blush on the maknae's face, but he doubted this. "Why you ask?"
 
"Eh?" Taemin was embarassed at what he had asked. He knew he was blushing, but he couldn't figure out why. "Um... I was just curious, that's all."
 
They continued talking. All the while, Taemin felt his heart beating. He heard it in his ears but he couldn't figure out why. He remembered what Minho said, about him liking Key. About how he realized he kept thinking of Key, which made him realize he liked him. He wondered.
 
His heart was racing crazily, and this wasn't the first time this has happened. He panicked when he came across skinship with Onew. It can't be, he told himself. But... could it? Could it be that he actually liked Onew?
 
 
 
 
Later that day, Minho was at the dorm, practicing his lines for his medical drama. He and Onew were the only members who lived in the dorm when the members weren't promoting. Taemin lived at home while Jonghyun and Key had their own apartments. Onew was out getting dinner. This explained his surprised reaction when he answered the door. 
 
"Kibum? What are you doing here?"
 
Key awkwardly smiled. "What? I can't come into my own dorm?"
 
"You didn't have to knock so much."
 
"I left my key here. Anyway, I came to get something else." He made his way to his room. Minho followed right behind him. 
 
"What did you need?"
 
Key stopped in place as he was rummaging through his closet. He was hoping Minho wouldn't ask that. He went back to searching. "It's nothing. Don't you have a drama to work on?"
 
"Come on, no need to snap at me. I'm just curious."
 
Key sighed. He couldn't let his feelings for Minho get in the way of their friendship. He finally found what he was looking for and pulled it out. Minho eyes widened at the sight of an old school uniform.
 
"What do you need that for?" 
 
Key sighed irritably. "We Got Married wants us to dress up as a school couple for our photoshoot."
 
"Won't that be small for you?"
 
Key plopped down onto his bed. "I'll manage. How's your drama going?"
 
Minho hesitated. He too didn't feel comfortable talking about his love storyline with his ex. "Going pretty well. I think my acting's getting a lot better." He sat down next to Key.
 
"I'd like to see that. Remember Tothe Beautiful You?"
 
Minho cracked up. "Don't!"
 
"You were so frickin' stiff! You were all-" His expression turned cold and emotionless. "'Goo Jae Hee, I like you.'" The ends of Key's lips curled up in a smile and he burst into laughter. 
 
"Shut up!" Minho couldn't help but laugh with him. Key's laughter was contagious. 
 
Shinee's Key Laughing :P :http://youtu.be/4zM4riIS19k
 
When his laughter died down, Key continued the conversation. "So what's this storyline gonna be about?"
 
"I'm a doctor and I love my best friend."
 
"Haven't heard that before."
 
"Sadly for my character she falls for the main doctor."
 
"Serves her right." Key muttered under his breath. 
 
"What?"
 
"What?"
 
"You say something?"
 
Key shook his head. "I didn't say anything."
 
Minho looked down at Key's uniform. "Anyway, how's We Got Married?" 
 
Key raised his eyebrow. "You haven't been watching?"
 
"Haven't had time."
 
True. He did have a drama going on. "It's all really cheesy. It's kinda annoying at times."
 
"What's she like?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"Your 'wife'. What's she like?"
 
"She herself is actually pretty cool. She's this Japanese model who likes pink and fashion and all that. And get this: she speaks Japanese and English and French."
 
Minho scoffed in disbelief. "Heol~" This girl was perfect for Key. She was foreign, liked fashion, multilingual, and probably had the looks. "You like her?"
 
Key hesitated to answer. Why was Minho asking questions like this? "Well, she's nice. Am I gonna date her?" He scoffed. "Never gonna happen. She's four years younger than me."
 
"Four years!?" He did the math. "Then, she's still in high school!?"
 
Key nodded. "Crazy right?" Minho sighed in relief. He held back the urge to laugh in relief but worried it would upset Key. 
 
He cleared his throat. "I should get back to my lines."
 
Key immediately nodded in agreement. "Uh- Yea, I should get back to the shoot." He abruptly 
got up from the bed and made his way out of the room. Before exiting the room, he turned back toward Minho, who was still on the bed. "So I guess I'll see you later?"
 
Minho nodded. "Yea, I'll see you later." He responded quietly. "You got your key?"
 
"Yea I got it..." silence followed. "Well, see you later."
 
"Bye now."
 
He finally made his way out the door. On the ride back to the photoshoot all he could think about was Minho and his costar kissing. He's probably enjoying it. Key figured he's probably fantasizing about it as he drove. Key up his imminent tears. He couldn't let his emotions interfere with his idol image.
 
hi! ok so i just updated this w/ screenshots from the MTTM video b/c i felt like it represented Minkey's relationship so well
 
cuz in the video at the 0:37 mark minkey briefly look at each other before turning away to dance with other girls. It's like they feel awkward around each other but even more awkward when theyre with someone else. I just thought they'd be perfect images for this fic. so there ya go :P