Chapter 1

Have You Ever Kissed a Girl?

Minseok leaned against his bedroom wall while talking to his friend over the phone. He could hear the faint sound from television from the living room where his dads were watching the news. He listened to Jongdae, his friend, ranting about the girl he likes. Jongdae always likes different girls every month, so Minseok did not really pay attention to him anyway.

“What about that Kim Myungsoo?” Jongdae suddenly asked.

“Dunno, no progress, he always around girls, guess he's not gay,” Minseok answered tiredly.

“After Jo kwon hyung graduated, there’s not much gay left, huh?”

Minseok laughed, “not really sure about that hyung, though, he has a girlfriend now, is there any chance that he probably only messing around with pretty boys at school?” Minseok furrowed his eyebrows.

“Can’t tell, man. He’s one hell of a puzzle,” Jongdae laughed.

At that, Minseok heard a soft knock on his door, “Gotta go, man, dads’ calling.”

“Sure, say hi to Jiyong daddy, the cake earlier was really delicious.”

“Sure, I’ll tell him. See you at school,” then he hung up.

When he opened the door, he found his Jiyong daddy grinning at him, “apple?” he asked. Minseok knew better than to refuse. He knew every time his dads ask him to eat some night snack they actually want to have some chit chat.

“Who’s talking to you on the phone earlier?” his dad asked.

“Jongdae,” he answered shortly.

“Are you sure that you have nothing with him? You guys talked every night and….”

“Dad, Jongdae’s my best friend since toddler and he’s straight,” he cut his dad, groaning.

“Yah, Kwon Jiyong, can you not pestered about him and Jongdae, they definitely have nothing going on. Umma knows better, right honey?” a loud whiny voice boomed from the living room.

Minseok’s eyes widen at the sight in front of him, his mother sat elegantly at their living room, still gorgeous as always. “Umma, what are you doing here? Why didn’t you tell me that you comin? I’d fetch you from the airport,” he grinned from ear to ear and hugged his mother.

“Aww, where’s the fun, I wanted to surprise you, besides, umma is a big girl, I can always take a cab,” she giggled.

“How are you looking more pretty, Umma?” he asked. “People will mistake you as my girlfriend,” he laughed.

“Omo, my son is a sweet talker, where did you learn that?” His mother giggled again.

“Probably Seungri,” his Seunghyun appa answered for him.

“Eww, baby, stay away from him, I don’t want you to end up like him,” his mother made a disgusted face.

“What’s wrong? He’s cool,” Minseok shrugged.

His mother gasped, “you used to hate him.”

“I still loathed the idea of playing with different girl every night,” he stated, seeing his dad fidgeting in his choice of words, “but he's cool, ain’t that cool for staying young and lively despite your old age? Well, like you guys, who still look like Gods and Goddess.” And his parents laughed at him. “It’s not funny," he whined, "I supposed to have the best genes and look like one of those Abercrombie models, but instead, I look like this,” he pouted.

“What are you talking about? You are hella good looking,” it was his mother.

“Son,” his Appa spoke, “if I was 20 years younger, I would marry you instead of your dad.”

“As if,” Minseok muttered, he knows how his dads love each other.

“Awww, baby, stop with the long face, you have to be happy when umma’s here,” he’s mother cooed.

Minseok always had this insecure feeling about himself. He was practically living with beautiful people, his two gay dads are so handsome even teenage girl fangirl over them. His Seunghyun appa was an epitome of manliness and his Jiyong daddy was so pretty with a small face he’d die to have. Not to mention his mother, she looked like Barbie doll, literally.

Minseok did not know how he ended up being a cute squishy steam buns when he had a hot model look parents. He did not know who his father really was, Jiyong or Seunghyun, since his parents decided not to tell him, “we all your parents” they said, but he was sure about his mother.
Many people thought that he was an adopted child while he’s not. When a confused friend asked him about having two gay dads and a mom he would say, “one of my dads asked the doctor to put their into my mother’s womb, then boomed, I was born.”

He loved his family, his dads are supportive and open-minded, and even though he lives far away from her mother she would text him every day, just to gossip or ask about his day. His mother was a free spirit kind of person, she could not settle in one place and always end up traveling around the world, maybe that’s why her marriage only lasts for two years. His mother has loud and bubbly personality while his dads more of the laid back people.

His parents are best friend back then when they were younger, that’s why his mother agreed to be the surrogate mother. His mother actually older than his dads, that’s why despite her cherry and bubbly personality, his dads respected her. The other friends of his parents are his samchons, his dads best friends. They are a bunch of dorks who taught him every bad thing in the world, especially his Seungri samchon, but he loved them unconditionally.

“So, any boyfriend? Girlfriend?” His mother asked.

“You know that no one likes me, Umma, not that way at least,” he sighed.

“What? Are your schoolmates all blind?” he’s mother asked, confused.

Minseok chuckled at his mother retort, “No Umma, I just, you know, not really stand out,” he said.

“Or you just really ignorant as a person,” his mother replied.

“It’s not that, really. Maybe I’ll find them sooner, just not now,” he assured. His mother nodded and stirred away the conversation to his grade.

***

When Minseok came home from school the next day, he saw a truck parked in the house next door, he got a new neighbor he thought. His mother walking from the front door to got a sneak peek from their new neighbor. At the same time, a tall ahjumma came out from the house next door and gaped at the sight of his mother.

“Oh my God, you are Park Bom, right?” the ahjumma squealed.

His mother smiled prettily at the ahjumma, “Omo, you know me?” his mother asked, acting all innocent, making Minseok rolled his eyes.

“Of course I know you,” the ahjumma practically screamed. “I’m your number one fan, it such a shame you only have a short career as a singer,” the ahjumma shook her head.

His mother was an idol in her younger days, but she decided to let go the career to travel around the world. Minseok’s mother laughed out loud, “you know, I’m not really into idol life, I could not stand it, I’m a free bird I might say.”

“Indeed, you are,” the ahjumma smiled. “Wait, do you live here? Are we neighbors?” the ahjumma asked excitingly.

“Oh, no, this is my best friends’ house, I only leave here for a few days before my trip to Paris, and oh, this is my son,” his mother pulled Minseok, who standing in the pathway the entire time, close to her.

“Aww, I can see the resembles,” the ahjumma squeal again, “you both so cute.”

“Really?” his mother smiled, seemed happy. “Minseok, greet your new neighbor,” His mother scolded him.

Minseok bowed at the ahjumma, “hello, I’m Minseok, nice to meet you,” he said politely.

“Hi, I’m Song Jungah,” the ahjumma said, “wait, you said your son is my new neighbor?” the ahjumma confused.

Minseok’s mother explained their relationship briefly while the ahjumma nodded with an understanding look. Minseok was happy with their new neighbor was not a judgmental person, he just too tired to listen some people talking trash about his family.

They parted their own way after some more conversation and Minseok decided that he likes the new neighbor. But that thought only last not more than two hours, not, after he met the neighbor’s daughter.

“So, you guys are really a gay couple?” Minseok heard the girl asked his dad when he wanted to go out to the balcony. He hid behind the door to eavesdrop the conversation.

His Jiyong daddy laughed at her remark, “we are,” he said.

“And you guys has a son from an eggs donor?” she asked again.

“Yeah,” his dad answered, “I don’t really like calling her an egg donor, though. She’s a family, and Minseok’s mother and also our best friend,” his father smiled.

The girl nodded and asked again, “who’s the father then?”

At her question, Minseok’s dad burst out laughing, “it’s a secret, darling, even Minseok doesn’t know that,” he winked.

Minseok pouted, he thought maybe, at least, his dad would reveal the secret.

“Wow, you guys so cool,” the girl remarked. “My dad is a homophobic, though, well was,” she added when Jiyong’s face fell. “He was a homophobic not until he discovered that Sir Ian McKellen, his favorite actor, is a gay. After that he pretty much cool around gay people, and never loathed them like before, even though he said that he would kill me if I come up as a lesbian, but thank God I’m straight, I don’t need another bickering session with him, my grade are enough reason already, let alone my ual preference,” she blabbering.

Jiyong chuckled, “well, good to know,” he said. “You should meet my son, though, he’s quite shy, and I think you two could get along well, and he’s so good with his grade, maybe he could help you?” Jiyong offered and Minseok almost screamed a loud no.

“Really?” the girl asked, making Minseok groaned, “I really need a tutor, but I’m new here so it would be difficult for me,” the girl pouted.

Jiyong chuckled and ruffled her hair, “I’ll ask him later, I believe he would love to help, Minseok is a good boy.”

“Aww, thank you, Mr. Kwon, you’re the best,” she beamed. “I got to go now, my mother will ask me to help her to prepare dinner soon.” She bid Jiyong goodbye and strolled back to her house. Minseok headed back to his bed and groaned. He did not like the girl, she’s too loud for his liking, but he could not say no to his dad. Looked like he has to bear with the little chattering box for a few times.

And his nightmare came to reality when his dad asks him to tutor the girl later that night.

“She’s pretty, Minseok,” his mother spoke first when she heard his dad request.

“So?” Minseok shrugged, “I’m gay,” he stated.

“Are you sure?” his three parents asked at the same time.

“Why are you guys so surprise?” he groaned.

“Because we’re not really sure about your preference, you sure you’re not turn on when you see girls?” his mother asked bluntly.

“Noona,” his dads growled with a stern voice.

“What?” his mother argued, “I was just asking.”

“I’m gay, umma, I’m sure.” Minseok was so sure that he’s gay. Back in the elementary when he lived in China, he had a huge crush on a pretty guy named Luhan. Minseok was sure that Luhan was his first love.

In junior school, he really liked his classmate name Yifan, he’s a tall guy and a captain of the basketball team. Yifan was so kind and never insults his gay dads. Yifan looked like a hero for him and Minseok always daydreamed that one day, he will be Jiyong and Yifan would be his Seunghyun. Only the thought of it made him giddy.

And then now, he had a huge crush on his high school heartrobe, Kim Myungsoo. The guy’s so pretty and manly at the same time making Minseok's heart melted. However, none of his love stories ended up of him being dated. He never had the courage to approach his crush, either he thought that they were not gay, or that they never notice him.  

“I really like the girl, she seems nice and funny,” Jiyong stated, “and she also bubbly, just like Bomi noona.”

“Like me?” Bom asked, “hohoho, Minseok, be good to her,” she laughed.

“Seems like everybody love her, then there’s nothing wrong with asking Minseok to tutor her,” Seunghyun concluded.

Minseok face fell, he had no back up left. His Seunghyun appa always be the overprotective one, preventing him from being friend with “untrusted kids” but seeing his appa was actually okay with him tutoring the brat next door, he could not help but to say yes.

***

The next day sure was the worst day ever in Minseok life. The girl next door came to his house the first thing in the morning because she did not know the way to school, so she asked whether or not she could go to school with him. His mother, who opened the door for her, sure agreed immediately and even asked her to have breakfast with them.

She refused the breakfast, claiming that she ate already, but sat with them in the dining room. Minseok could tell that the girl was staring at him the whole time that made him fidgeting in his seat. When Minseok looked at her, she flashed him a huge beam and said “Hey, I’m Park Haneul, you Minseok, right? Let’s be friends.”

Minseok only nodded at her.

“You’re right Mr. Kwon, Minseok is a shy person, so adorable,” she stated bluntly.

Minseok choked on his toast and glared at her. Why would on earth did the girl say that to his parents, wasn't she embarrass or something? His parents were laughing and cooed “cute little thing” while shaking their heads.

The way to school was no better, she kept asking him about their school life, the teachers, the cool kids and the good clubs.

“That’s the Principal Choi’s room,” Minseok pointed a light painted door, once they arrived at school, “go meet him and they will help you out with your stuff,” he added.

“Alright,” she nodded, “see you, Minseokie, hope that we get the same class,” she beamed and waved him goodbye.

“Hope not,” Minseok muttered when she was a bit far.

He suddenly felt the weight on his shoulder and saw Jongdae’s arm draped around his shoulder. Jongdae was looking at the direction Haneul left. “Who’s that cute girl? Your secret girlfriend?” he asked.

Minseok rolled his eyes, “she’s not cute, and no, she’s just a new neighbor.”

“Really? Man, you’re so lucky, she’s really pretty.”

“She’s annoying, though and I don’t care whether she’s really pretty or not, I’m gay,” Minseok said.

Jongdae shrugged, “well, you can always swing to the other team, you know.”

“You are funny, Kim Jongdae,” Minseok scoffed sarcastically and headed to his locker, with Jongdae trailing behind him. Minseok spotted Kim Myungsoo talking to his friend near his locker and Minseok could not help but blush. The guy was so good looking that making all his annoyance earlier disappear. His school might not be the best school in Seoul, but having Kim Myungsoo in this school surely the best thing, at least for Minseok.

“Alright there,” said Jongdae, “your face’s gross.”

Minseok made a face at Jongdae, clearly annoyed that his friend, “Shut up,” he punched Jongdae’s arm lightly. He oppened his locker when he felt a loud scream near his ear and a weight on his arm, “Minseokiiii,” the voice squealed.

Minseok rolled his eyes,” that was fast, did you really meet Principal Choi, Haneul?” he asked the girl.

“Nope,” Haneul shook her head cutely. “I met Ms. Kim, my homerom teacher, she gave me my time table and my locker combination, Minseok, which class are you?” she asked.

Minseok contemplated to answer, his homeroom was also Ms. Kim and he surely did not want to be in the same class with the girl. “Umm, 2c?” he mentioned his class.

“Really?” Hanuel grinned from ear to ear, then threw her hands around Minseok’s neck, hugging him tight. “Me too, me too. Oh God, I’m so happy, we’re in the same class.”

When they heard someone’s clearing their troath, Haneul parted from Minseok. She looked at the suspect and saw Jongdae smiled sheepishly at her.

“Haneul, this is Kim Jongdae, my best friend, Jongdae, this is Haneul,” Minseok intruduce them.

“Oh hi,” Haneul bowed at Jongdae, “I’m Minseok’s new neighbor, nice to meet you,” she beamed.

“Nice to meet you too, Haneul-si,” Jongdae bowed back.

“Oh, just call me Haneul, are you also in 2c?” Haneul asked.

Jongdae nodded, “seems like we gonna be friends.”

Haneul beamed at him and Minseok rolled his eyes at how fast his neighbor and best friend become friends.

“Minseok, help me to find my locker,” Haneul showed him her locker number.

Minseok froze, he knew the locker by heart, no, not the locker actually, but the locker next to it. Next to Haneul’s locker was Kim Myungsoo’s locker. “Damn, this girl’s so lucky,” he thought.

Minseok was a bit jealous that Haneul got a locker next to Myungsoo's, but he then thought something better, maybe the girl could help him to get Kim Myungsoo. He felt giddy at the prospect of Haneul become his cupid, so he took the girl’s hand into his and lead her to the locker.

Haneul swung their hands back and forth and beamed like a little kid. Jongdae followed suit behind them and Haneul grinned at him. Minseok could see Myungsoo’s opening his own locker to get his book, without the girls around him. “Perfect,” Minseok thought.

“This is your locker,” Minseok told Haneul and shifted his gaze at Myungsoo.

Haneul nodded but Minseok could hear Jongdae snorted. Myungsoo slowly turned towards Minseok when Haneul started to open her locker. Myungsoo smiled at him and Minseok could feel his heart skip a beat. Then, Minseok could hear his melodic voice, “who is it, Minseok-si?” he asked.

Minseok’s leg turned jelly and he all smiley. Maybe, just maybe, having Haneul around was not so bad after all.