Soo Hyun Kim

Without You

Chapter 3

Soohyun's POV

I feel sorry for Dara about all this. Since the first day we started dating I knew all along that she's in love with my best friend Seunghyun. Hi, I am Kim Soo Hyun his best friend and her boyfriend. I dont know what made me agree in this type of situation. Maybe because I am so kind to him thats why I did it? The two of us became friends when our parents become business partners. I am an adopted child of the Kim's family. They never had a child so they plan to adopt and that happened to be me. I studied abroad since elementary and that where I met him. I was being bullied because of me being adopted but he protected me like a true brother although we are on the same age. Since then we become partners on crime. But we parted when he plan to study in korea. I asked him what made him decide to go there. He said, he just want to live an independent life, away from his parents. From what I see, there is no problem with regards to his relationship between them. But still, i let him do what he wants. He never fails to call me and ask hows my day in a brotherly way. Then he will start talking about this girl he like and the journey that they share together, but in the end she turn down his love confession. I know how he's been hurt by that, but what amaze me is that he remain friends with her until they graduated college and start working. I surprised him when I went to Korea for work. But what surprise me more is when he asked me a favor. The favor that led me to meet his one and only girl that he love and treasure the most. He asked me to court her. I dont know at first what comes to his mind that he want me to do that, but one day I found out the reason. He is suffering from cancer in the blood and its already on his last stage. I called his parents about it, they are surprised to hear it. No one knows his health condition. I felt mad at him for not telling me this. I am his so called brother. How could he hide this from us? When I told him what I knew he's not surprised, but instead he said I knew I cant hide this forever. Sorry for not telling you. All my anger fade when I saw him cry. Its the first time I saw it. He never show me his weak side. My mind remember him as the always strong and cool brother. But now seeing him at this state, I blame God for what is happening. How could he do this to Seunghyun when all he do is good. The ever kind and caring person that I know is suffering from a disease that no one knows if he will still be able to survive. He then told me about not telling this to Dara. He dont want here to find out about it. He wants to prevent her from getting hurt. I told him what she truly feels for him, but it seems like he already give her up. I can see how much he wanted to be by her side, but because of his illness he cant do it. I feel sorry for him. So what can I do? I agree with him and hide the truth. Lying in front of her is the best thing I can do. I check on him through his family. Now they called me and informed that his body rejects the medication that the hospital gives him. The doctor already told them about his life span. Hearing all those things makes me feel hopeless. This cant be. Just like that, she finally discover our secret. She heard it and when I answer her question she faints. I brought her to the hospital. Now I am watching her sleeping on the hospital bed. I take her hand and place a kiss on it.

"Forgive me Dara for hiding the truth. This is what my best friend asked me to do. Forgive me" I know I am crying. It hurts to seeing her in this situation because since I have met her, I cant lie that I dont have feelings for her. I did, just like Seunghyun said she's not hard to fall in love. But of course I still manage to control myself because she belongs to him only. Thats what I see and feel when we are together. Its painfull, but what can I do? I owe him so much. I feel her hand move. She's slowly open her eyes adjusting to the light.

"Where are we?" she quickly asked.

"You're in the hospital babe. You fainted. Don't you re~"

"Seunghyun..Where is seunghyun?" she cuts me off. She start looking for him around the room.

"Dara,calm down." i try to calm her but she brush off my hands on her shoulder.

"Tell me the truth. Where is he? And why did you say that he is dying?" i can sense the seriousness and sharpness of her tone. Just like what Seunghyun said, we cant hide things forever. She needs to know.

"He is at the US. Dara, he has cancer of the blood. Im sorry I didnt tell you. Its his wish and order. He wants you to live a happy life. He choose to leave without telling you. He left you to me." I see how she slowly crample the bed sheet with her hand.

"No. No. No..thats not true..I dont believe you. How come he is sick when he is so health whenever I see him? You must be wrong.." she's trying to reject the infornation I told her.

"Its true. He told me about it and now his parents informed me that his condition is getting worst. His body reject the medication. Each day he's becoming weaker and weaker. The doctor even said how long he can only live. Actually not sure about if he still can last long base on his condition." i reveal everything to her. I feel like stupid for saying all those things to her because now she's crying her heart out. I pull her to hug for a comfort. I remember my brother told me not to make her cry, but look what I did. She's crying now. Im sorry Seunghyun, I failed you.

"Please, soohyun-ah..I want to meet him..please..help me..I want to see him." she pleads in between her sobs.

"hussshh..yes, i will..just stop crying..please.." i told her. After that day, I called Seunghyun's mom to inform her that we will have a surprise visit for him. Sje informed me that he is no longer staying at the hospital. Seunghyun requested to be discharge already. I book a flight for two to US the next day. Our flight will be two days after today since there is no available schedule today or tomorrow. We have no choice but to wait for it. Dara has already discharge yesterday when she's cleared after all the examination. Another day has come, time flies so fast. Then a surprise call come to me. I happily answer it.

"Bro, how are you?"

"Fine..how are you? How's Dee?" he talked in a whispering tone but still audible. Its just that its weak and slow. I sigh hearing him like that.

"Hey,..is something wrong?" he ask me again.

"no. Nothing..I was just tired from work maybe?" unsure of my answer I dont want him to know that I have been monitoring his condition with the help of his mom.

"Dara is fine too. I thought you said that you will call us everyday? Why just now? Bro, she's been expecting your call everyday..Such a cruel man." I scolded him in a nice way. Then I hear him chuckle on the other line.

"I'm sorry omma. Please forgive me." Aisht, now he is mocking on me.

"Yah!..How could you laugh like that?" I fake being mad at him, but then it just made the laugh grow more.

"Sorry, bro. Cant help it. You are like my mom. Hahaha..well, anyway I just caught up with alot of work that's why I forgot to call." its definetly a lie. He is really keeping us away from the truth, but sad to say I already knew it. Maybe if I didnt, I will enjoy this converstion with him without worriness.

"Why dont you call her now? Im sure she is still awake." I told him and I heard him start coughing many times.

"Bro, are you alright?" panic is on me. The line gets quite for a moment.

"Yeah. Sorry for that. I got choked up with water. About Dee, I already did call her before you." he inform me after recovering from his coughing.

"Oh, thats good. So, what did she said?" I want to talk to him a little bit longer since we havent talked since the day he left.

"Well, she has alot of stories about the two of you."

"Eh?..then thats all?" i cant believe it. Did she just only told him that? How about her feelings for him? Aisht!

"Uhm!. Anyway, Soohyun-ah, I need to hang up. I still have things to do. Please take of her always ok?"

"Oh, yeah bro. See you soon. Thanks for calling."

"bye" with that he ended our call.