Hush

Chinese Teacher

JIA'S POV

I woke up a couple minutes before my alarm ever went off. That happened from time to time but a lot less recently due to schedules making me tired during the day. There seemed to be a draft in my room. That could have woken me up and my throat seemed dry. I felt thirsty.

Before getting up I checked my phone as I did most mornings.

...It's not that late.

Jia?

Goodnight~

All three of my text were from Heechul the previous night. I chuckled when I read them. It was cute how attention hungry he seemed. But I frowned feeling guilty and a little rude for not saying good bye.

Sorry I fell asleep Oppa. Please understand me :)

I grinned while typing my apology and suddenly remembered how parched my throat was which lead me out into our kitchen. We didn’t keep a lot of food stored there mainly snacks. Fei and I did have a few special treats in the fridge from home but the rest was mainly side dishes. I was able to get myself a glass of water, our kitchen was well equipped enough for that. The water however only seemed to irritate my throat more. I produced a cough in my own throat trying to quickly clear whatever it was that was bothering me.

Feeling a little silly I opened my mouth to try to say something. To check if my voice was still there. It was almost like one of those scary silent dreams where something bad is happening and you try to help but for some reason your throat won’t let you get out a sound. Except in dreams you usually can’t feel a thing and in real life, what was happening to me at that moment, I could hear a raspy but hush sound coming from my throat and I had a feeling if I strained enough I could probably get more sounds out. I decided not to try that though. I was responsible enough to know that could do more damage than good.

I went back to my bedroom without taking further action. I highly doubted anything could be seriously wrong with me. Now that I was up and walking around I was beginning to feel sleepy again. First my legs hit the bed and then my head. That’s how I remember it. I ended up in a sort of awkward position that would have made anyone who wasn’t a dancer high uncomfortable. I exhaled deeply. A breathe that should have been let out with a whine but my vocal chords weren’t allowing that of me. I pushed my face that was already on the bed into the sheets wondering if I was dreaming of this throat problem.  Things did seem hazy and my head felt dizzy. I yawned, silently of course and from what I can remember drifted back into a sleep.

“Jia~” I heard my voice being repeatedly called by a familiar and comfortable voice. However I didn’t feel like responding to it. I like to think of myself as a well organized person who’s got everything together. Who people can count on for structure and perfection. In this impressive description I hold for myself I also try to be up on time and get up when people are trying to wake me but I really just wanted my darling Fei to leave me alone. Surely it wasn’t necessary to get up at that moment. There surely wasn’t anything too important going on that it would be a tragedy for me to miss as I got a few more minutes of sleep. “I made breakfast.” I heard her try to bribe. Admittedly it was tempting. Fei was a talented and skillful cooker. But not the most top internationally known chef could have lured me out of my bed with food this morning. I was sleepy I didn’t feel good. When I did actually make an attempt to respond to Fei I couldn’t. I just shook my body a little in a childish manner, letting her know that I was aware of her pestering but I was just ignoring it.

The motion must have worked because Fei left me alone in my room after a couple minutes. It wasn’t long before she left I heard my phone buzz nearby in my bed somewhere, I guessed. I didn’t know who would be texting me at this hour but I didn’t really care. I was still so sleepy. My heavy lidded eyes closed and I soaked up the silence and alone time while I still had it.

“Jia~” The same familiar voice came back probably not even a full hour later. And it wasn’t alone.

“Unni!” I heard another familiar voice. I had once shared a room with Suzy but I moved out. I had missed her truthfully but still I didn’t move out of the room to still have her voice in my ear every morning. Silence in the morning should be a benefit of having your own room.

“Not so loud...” Fei calmly instructed Suzy and I wanted to smile but afraid they’d catch a glimpse and try even harder to bother me. “I don’t think she’s feeling well.”

“Not so loud...” Fei calmly instructed Suzy and I wanted to smile but afraid they’d catch a glimpse and try even harder to bother me. “I don’t think she’d feeling well.”

I wanted to whisper the word ‘bingo’ but my throat wouldn’t even let me do that. Still I could sense worry growing in my roommates. I sat up in my bed. One swift motion like a zombie from a badly directed horror movie. I imagine my facial expression also represented a zombie as I put no effort into it.  I watched as Fei and Suzy took to the reaction well.

“She’s up!” Suzy said with a smile and seemed very relieved. Fei on the other hand still showed concern in her faintly wrinkled forehead.

“Jia are you feeling okay?” I paused for a moment. I wish I could try to explain. I didn’t feel normal. But I didn’t feel like I was dying. I didn’t want to shake my head no and make her think I really wasn’t okay. But I did feel drowsy and uncomfortable. I looked at her, scrunched my face and then rubbed my neck with my hand as if I could my throat feel better that way. Fortunately Fei picked up on the action. “Is your throat hurting you?” I nodded. “Suzy could you get her some water?” If I could have spoken at the time I would have stopped Suzy from the trouble of Fei’s request. Water hadn’t worked earlier in the morning as I recalled. But that didn’t mean more water wouldn’t help. Lots of water was good when you were sick. Suzy hurriedly rushed back with the water.

Here Jia Unni, drink it and be healthy.” I smiled at Suzy to try to show my appreciation as I bowed my head to her and then swallowed back the water our maknae had gotten me. I opened my mouth and only blew out airy uncompleted sounds. I showed a frustrated pout. Now as I was waking up more the not being able to talk seemed more troublesome and even annoying.

There was a knock on the door and Suzy quickly went to answer it, Fei staying by my side. I could figure out who it was before I heard their voices inside the door. I could hear the voices and that confirmed what I already suspected. Min and our manager were at the dorm. I watched Fei’s face as she made the same conformation. “I’m going to go tell the manager about your throat and see what we should.” Fei gave me a pretty smile and I nodded to show my understanding. I slouched back in the bed when she left still feeling tired. As soon as I closed my eyes I remembered my phone buzzing earlier in the morning. Now suddenly curious I searched the blankets for the device. Unlocking it I read the text.

It’s okay.

Good Morning!

The text was from Heechul. Even though I didn’t expect him to be really upset about my falling asleep the night before I felt a sense of relief when receiving his text and knowing that it was okay. I tried to quickly respond, my fingers moving fast wanting to make up for the time it took me to respond.

Morning Heechul-Oppa!

Just as I was getting the ‘Message Sent’ screen the members of my group and my manager were coming into my room. I locked my phone quickly and let it drop into my lap to give the girls my full attention. I tried to open my mouth, solely to say hello to my manager and members but even when my mouth opened I couldn’t speak. Again I pouted annoyed.

“You can’t speak Jia?” My manager asked me and I shook my head in response. Head motions being my only option. “Does anything else hurt?” I thought about the question. Nothing strongly hurt I just felt not good. I looked at my manager and narrowed my eyes on her like I was attempting to send a telepathic message.

“oh! oh! I think she’s trying to say something with her eyes!” Min attempted to point out, her finger shoved in my direction. “Paper. Paper.” It was easy to find paper and a pen in my room; I always keep everything clean and organized.  I took the paper and pen from Min and bowed my head again to show thanks. I wrote a message on the paper which Fei took the responsibility of reading out loud.

 “My throat is a little sore and my head feels kind of dizzy.” I heard my words come out of the other girls mouth and nodded as if it confirm that’s what I had written.  A hand was then held to my head, my managers.

“She’s a little warm...” After making this observation I watched as our manager took time to think. Within moments she gave her verdict. “There are no important broadcasts or schedules that absolutely require you to be there Jia. You should stay here and rest so you can work hard again soon.” Her face still showed some worry. “If you’re still sick tomorrow we’ll have to call a doctor. But let’s try not to worry. Drink water.” I nodded. I did want to go and do my schedule with the rest of the girls. But I truthfully didn’t feel all that well and I felt a little unable to give my best so I accepted the sentence. It’s not like I had a voice to argue with anyway.

My manager left the room first. “Say goodbye to Jia girls and wish her to be healthy. “

All of my fellow Miss A members and also friends gave me hugs and kind words before they left. Fei said she’d check in on me so to keep my phone close by and each of the other girls gave a proper fighting! Before leaving the dorm. I sighed and cuddled in my blanked as I tried to catch some sleep and rest. As my eyes closed I heard my phone vibrate again.