A Morning's Honesty

Fearless

Chapter IV

A Morning's Honesty

"About ten years ago, even the Gods could have their own human lives and families." The moonlight shined over their bodied, covered only by a thin white sheet. He found himself unable to break his stare, as his eyes locked with her face, memorizing every feature, whether it would be eyes, brows, lips. "The Earth was a peaceful place, and they had learned to adjust as mortals. Even Zeus had most of the Titans released from their prison deep below earth. Believe it or not, he actually enjoyed his time on Earth more than with the Gods." Snuggling closer to him, Yerin gave a soft yawn. "We need sleep, Sehun. We are waking up at dawn."

"I'm not stopping you." Chuckling, he gave her a soft kiss, causing butterflies in her stomach. He was her first, and maybe, if whether they won the war or not, he probably would be her last as well. Muttering a soft good night, she closed eyes and fell into a deep and pleasant slumber.

Sehun was kept awake by his sense of guilt. Kai was his tutor and friend, the sin he had done was unforgivable. Sinking his teeth into his lower lip, he brought he closer. But she was so perfect and, and she loved him. She chose, and the fact that she chose him, had made it clear that he stood no chance against him. His vision blurred as he felt his mood darken. Sighing, Sehun closed eyes. What was he thinking? Ignoring the chilling sensation down his fingers, he tried to relax.

 

A few hours later, the sun began rising from the horizon, shining over Theia's lands. It's rays were bright and burning hot, as if they were a warning given by, the sun itself, Helios. Kai was the first one to wake, stirred by drops of sweat forming on his forehead as his bed was beside the big eastern window whose metal frames were so burning hot, that they radiated heat waves throughout the room. Standing up, he walked over to his closet, from where he lifted his bag full of ammunitions and a few spare clothes. Feeling uneasy from the hot air around him, he walked to the door to open it, which action was repeated with the window itself, where he created a slow draft. Kai sighed, they should be awake by now. Grabbing the bag with his firm hand, Ares' defender left the room he had occupied for the last 5 years, without even bothering to look back. It was all the same, he thought;

He would either come back when all is over, or would be dead and gone. He wouldn't need a room then, would he?

 

 

Sehun stirred in his sleep, only to wake up immediately after by the constant sound of someone walking around. Ignoring the unusual heat in the room that was close to suffocating him, he rose from the bed and looked around, spotting Yerin, already up and dressed, who was sorting out the weapons she was going to take. Observing how she snatched a dagger from a leather bag and hid it in her boot, he chuckled out loud, causing her to turn around. "Good morning, sleepy head." Smiling softly, she walked over to him, placing a soft kiss on his forehead. "Is it time?" Sehun smiled as he felt her scent. Sitting beside him, Yerin nodded silently. It was time, he remembered. It was time to go on the suicide mission, just because Theia said so. "Whatever you are thinking, stop it." Yerin frowned, standing up. Sehun sighed. Even though they shared an opinion, Yerin never wanted to speak against the Gods. The same Gods who threw them in the pithole they called war, only to be their personal playground. He watched her how she closed her eyes, brows furrowing in disapproval. She wouldn't listen.

"Would it all be worth it? Risking our lives for the amusement of-" He stopped. Yerin stopped listening as well, going back to her task. Biting his lip, he stood up and exited the room to reach his own chambers. The Gods were twisted, selfish and beyond bored. Still, to this day, he hadn't found out whose defender he was, yet he had to blindly obey rules that were never written. He was angry, furious, but overall, he couldn't understand why it was all happening to them. Ignoring the chaos that was in his room, he moved through the scattered clothes and broken weapons, reaching out for the brown leather bag that contained all of his belongings for the trip. Ruffling his hair, he walked away in silence, leaving all of his belongings that he had obtained throughout the year, as they were, scattered, without mattering much to him anymore. As soon as his foot stomped on the carpet in the hallway, he felt that when, or if, he returned, nothing would be the same to him.

Walking down to the entrance, Sehun ignored Kai's serious gaze, which was immediately captivated by Yerin's slow approach towards them. Sehun didn't turn around. He was still irritated at her childish behavior upon him questioning the Gods. It wasn't right, he thought. It wasn't right for them three to be handling their battles. It was silly, to drag innocent people into someone's feud.

"We should get going now, if we want to reach the forests by nightfall." Walking to her horse, Yerin caressed the animal lightly before reaching out her hand to the saddle which she used as support while she hopped on. "We rest on the border and we enter the woods at down. Do you have your weapons?" The men nodded and followed her actions. As the three of them rode off, leaving the castle that they had called home until now, they prepared themselves for a week long of travel.

 

 

Five hours into travel, no one said a word. They were silent, their horses making the only sound as they galloped furiously, sharp breaths and grows coming out of them as an indicator that they were growing tired with each minute passing. Sehun needed to stop as well, however, that would mean that he had to speak, which wasn't a wise option. She was mad, he got it, but why did she drag it for so long? Looking over to his lover, his eyes met only her back, hopping up and down due to the horse she was on.

Kai stopped along with his horse, leaving behind their tracks. Upon realizing that it was the two of them, which was a good minute later, Yerin and Sehun stopped as well, looking back to their fellow teammate, who was now slowly approaching them with a stern look on his face. "What's wrong?" He didn't even ask, he demanded. Yerin's horse suddenly fell down, trying to catch its breath, startling the young girl as she jumped away, causing the animal to sigh in relief as the weight on its back lessened. "If you keep up like that, we will be walking for the rest of the year." Kai glared at her, followed by her shrug. Tying his horse to a nearby tree, Sehun quietly took out a bottle of water and wet his hand, brushing it over the horse's face. Looking over to them, he watched how Kai stood before her, refusing to move an inch until she answered. He was angry as well, Sehun noticed. As if everyone today was under some kind of frustration.

"I'm sorry, I got carried away." Mumbling quietly, Yerin walked back to her horse, kneeling beside it. his white nose, she looked around. "Let's look around, there must be a river somewhere." Nodding,
Kai walked off quietly, leaving her and Sehun.

A minute passed, then another without anyone saying a word. At first, she had her back facing him, completely ignoring his presence, while he waited for her to turn around, speak or shout. Anything. "I'm sorry." She didn't turn around, but spoke loudly enough for him to hear her. Sehun smiled. "What are you sorry for? Couples fight, it's normal." Walking to her, he wrapped his hands around her and pressed her close. She smiled for a split of a second, before turning serious again. "So, we are a couple?" Closing her eyes in embarrassment as her insecurities managed to show in her voice, she felt his lips on her cheek. "Are we not?" Mumbling, he tickled her skin. A soft chuckle in agreement escaped her lips and Yerin leaned back, pressing her back towards his chest, feeling his warmth. "I have been on edge all morning." Sighing, she stared at the scenery before them. Chuckling, Sehun raised his brow. "Was I that good last night?" Ignoring the playful slap on his head, he tightened his grip on her, leaning his head on the crook of her neck. "I can stay like this for ever." Yawning, he closed his eyes, only to snap them back open upon a third presence. Turning her head towards the sound of heavy steps, Yerin suddenly broke free of Sehun's grip, her eyes widening.

Sehun knew they had made a mistake, he knew they were too fast. Upon recognizing the horror in Kai's eyes, he felt how his guilty conscience came back in a heartbeat. Kai didn't even look towards Yerin, only at his former friend, who now had became a traitor. 

 

sorry for the late update, I had to babysit a pug and didn't bring my laptop .-. However, I started reading Greek Myths and Legends, started watching Merlin AND even rewatched a couple series from Xena, The Warrior Princess (my childhood was a good one :3) so I'll be somehow okay with mythology here OTL . Received a perfect review for the story recently, you can check out the shop from the foreword *and read the review as well ;33* Sometimes I spend minutes on staring at my poster, is that creepy?