Striking Light

Earning Your Roar

The Bubble Tea trip went mostly without incident. The poor girl behind the counter, a girl I knew from school, was overwhelmed by the 13 separate orders. I made sure to tip her quite well for the trouble. She seemed unsure about the tip, but I assured her she deserved it. The walk home was quiet, minus a few of the boys bothering me about only getting frozen matcha.


“Only matcha,” Sehun scolded playfully.


“It’s my favorite,” I muttered to myself in consolation.


“It is really good,” Lay spoke up, smiling.


Sehun laughed, followed by the rest of the group. The rest of the short walk was mostly silent. The boys occasionally chattered a bit about something or other, breaking into laughter or simply nudging one another. As soon as we entered my house the smell of food hit us. I hadn’t realized how hungry I actually was. Baekhyun, Chen, Suho, Chanyeol, and Kris were the first to break past me and rush to the kitchen. I was the last one there, slipping around the boys and placing the coconut bubble tea I had ordered mom on the counter next to her. She smiled over at me, quickly returning her attention to the stove.


“Dinner will be ready in about fifteen minutes,” she said excitedly.


“It smells delicious!”


I jumped at my dad’s voice, turning around to see him in the doorway. The boys all turned to him as well. Quickly I made my way to the group, motioning for the new boys to come forward.


“Would you like me to introduce you, or,” I trailed.


Lay stepped forward first, introducing himself and bowing. Tao followed suit, then Kris, Chen, Luhan, and Xiumin.


“It’s nice to meet all of you,” he began, “I’m Ben Holloway. You can call me Ben, Mr. Holloway, or just dad. Any of those work,” he laughed.


I knew they would probably call him Mr. Holloway. Everyone else did. Well, at first anyway.


“Do you guys want to play Mario Party while we wait?”


Baekhyun bolted out of the kitchen, trying to assure himself a place. With that the rest of the boys followed, trying to beat one another to the living room. By the time I got there, Baekhyun, Xiumin, Sehun, and Tao had the controllers and were waiting patiently for the game to load.


“We should split into teams.”


“How would that work?”


“Well, we you could split into teams of three, if everyone wants to play, and you could take turns with the game’s rotation?”


After some discussion, the teams were set.

 

Baekhyun, Suho, Chen.

 

Xiumin, Luhan, Lay.

 

Sehun, Chanyeol, Kai.

 

Tao, Kris, Kyungsoo.


Lay, Kyungsoo, Kai, and Suho all offered their places to me, but I declined. Eventually, they started the game. I watched carefully as Baekhyun’s team collected stars and then lost them to Sehun’s team. Xiumin’s team started to push for the lead and Tao’s team stayed pretty even through the game. When mom came to tell us dinner was done, Tao’s team had climbed to the top, winning the game.

Dinner seemed to zoom past in silence. Everyone was hungry and it didn’t take long at all before all of the food was gone. Before mom could bother, I started taking the dishes to wash them. Kyungsoo and Xiumin ended up helping me, though all of the guys went through offers of helping. Between the three of us, the chore was done quickly.

When we entered the living room, the newest arrivals had left to go sleep. It had been a pretty long day for everyone, especially since they had just arrived. I listened as Xiumin yawned, throwing his arms high above his head as he stretched. A few seconds later, the rest of the boys started yawning, eventually rounding back around to me. I wasn’t really too tired, even though it had been such a long day. Surprisingly I was more awake now than I had been the whole day.


“You guys should go home and sleep,” I suggested.


Suho frowned jokingly, Baekhyun following suit.


“Are you trying to get rid of us, Lilah?” Suho whined.


“Not at all,” I stammered, “I just noticed you’re all yawning and so I thought,” I trailed.


I could feel my face heating up. I felt terrible, even if they were just joking.


“I know I’m exhausted,” Xiumin said as he yawned again.


“I am too,” Kai groaned.


“I’m sure Lilah is too,” Kyungsoo added.


I only nodded in response. It was a lie, but I didn’t want them to feel like they had to stay for me. With that the group said their goodbyes and left. I breathed a sigh of relief, though I wasn’t necessarily sure what I was relived of, and turned off all the lights and appliances.

Over all today hadn’t been as bad as I had imagined over the last few months. I thought I would have made more of a fool of myself. Maybe I had and I just didn’t know it. I shook my head and headed upstairs, making a quick change out of my clothes and into pajama pants and a slightly oversized t-shirt. I flopped down on my bed and let out a sigh.

I haven’t played piano in so long. Maybe if I woke up early enough, before the boys would normally be here, I could practice a bit. With that thought, I tucked myself beneath my comforter, set and alarm for the next morning, and waited to fall asleep.

 

-----x-----

I woke up the next morning about two minutes before my alarm. Quickly I picked out an outfit (shorts and a large flannel) and rushed to the shower. I put my hair in a messy bun once again and called it good. I bolted downstairs and slid into the kitchen to find both mom and dad eating breakfast.


“Good morning,” I smiled.


They both looked up at me, almost surprised.


“You’re up early,” dad commented curiously.


“Yeah,” I replied sheepishly, “I wanted to practice the piano some before the boys got here.”


Dad chuckled a bit at my response. They knew how I was about audiences and thankfully they didn’t push me to play in front of anyone. Mom motioned toward the stove to let me know the tea kettle was still hot. I quickly gathered a mug and a green tea bag and poured the hot water, setting it aside while I put together a bagel with some cream cheese. It didn’t take long before the bagel was gone and both my parents were putting their dishes in the sink and heading off to work. I hugged them both goodbye, taking my tea with me into the music room.

It used to be a storage room, full of boxes my parents never really knew what to do with. Eventually, however, they cleared it out and put a piano in it when I started showing interest in music. I sat behind the keys and cracked my knuckles. My fingers sat on the ivory keys lightly, unsure of what to do. Eventually I began playing songs as I thought of them.

They were songs I had heard and played a million times before, but still songs I loved. I eventually started singing with them as well. There was almost no break between songs. Black Keys by The Jonas Brothers. You’re Not Alone by Saosin. Oh Well Oh Well by Mayday Parade. Stay by Mayday Parade. Into Your Arms by The Maine. Vanilla Twilight by Owl City.

 

Halfway through Vanilla Twilight I was startled by another voice singing the words. I immediately quit playing and closed the lid on the piano keys, not even bothering to look and see who was singing behind me. I brushed past them and bolted down the hallway and up the stairs and straight to my room. I closed the door and pressed my back against it, sliding down the door slowly.

My heart was racing and I felt lightheaded. My breathing was short and erratic and I felt like I couldn’t get enough air. I was going to pass out. I pulled my knees closer to my chest and put my head down on them, trying to focus on breathing normally.


“Lilah?”


With how loud my heart was pounding in my ears I almost missed the voice. I kept my head down and my eyes closed, unsure of my ability to speak.


“Are you okay?”


It was Kyungsoo. Slowly I pushed myself to stand, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath before opening my door. I stared at him awkwardly, unsure of what to do.


“I didn’t mean to scare you,” he spoke sadly.


I felt horrible.


“No, it’s not your fault, I just,” I stopped. I wasn’t sure how to explain myself.


“I should have thought about how you reacted when Baekhyun mentioned y-“


“Please don’t apologize, Kyungsoo. It’s really alright.”


He looked at me, unconvinced.


“If it’s any consolation, you’re amazing.”


His words were concrete as he spoke them. My whole body felt warm at the compliment and I immediately looked away from him. I didn’t feel embarrassed more so than unsure of how to respond.


“Thank you,” I stuttered.


My voice broke and became more of a whisper toward the end of the sentence. When I looked back at him, he was smiling warmly. A few awkward seconds passed before he reached a hand up to rub the back of his neck.


“I really am sorry I startled you,” he trailed.


I shook my head and smiled.


“It’s okay, really. Please don’t feel bad. Come on.”


I stepped past him, motioning for him to follow me downstairs. I led him to the kitchen, busying myself with refilling the tea kettle before joining him at the island.


“I’m sorry I’m so weird.”


I cursed myself for the sudden words. He looked at me with wide eyes, confused almost. He smiled then, shaking his head and laughing a bit.


“You’re not weird,” he spoke matter-of-factly. “You’re just,” he paused to search for words, “You’re just shy.”


He reached up and brushed some of his hair out of his face. He hadn’t styled it today. I glanced outside, my eyes widening when I realized it was raining.


“Bah, it’s going to rain all day.”


The sudden laughter from Kyungsoo startled me and took my attention back to him.


“You’re also good at getting distracted,” he joked as he laughed.


I chuckled a bit at myself, realizing what I had done. The sound of the tea kettle squealing made me remove myself from my seat. I rushed over and pulled out another mug, placing a green tea bag in it for Kyungsoo. Once the water was poured I carefully carried it to him. He smiled and thanked me as he took it.

His eyes watched it curiously, almost as if it were a book that was telling a story. His lips were still curled into the signature heart shaped smile he had introduced himself with. He glanced up at me for a second, his eyes widening in either confusion or embarrassment for a moment before I glanced away, embarrassed myself.


“Can I play it?”


I looked back at him as he stared into his tea.


“The piano, I mean,” he muttered nervously.


“Of course you can.”


He looked up at me and I smiled. He returned it and picked up his mug, blowing on the tea to cool it a bit before taking a sip. My head turned toward the entrance of the kitchen when I thought I heard the front door open.


“Who else is here?”


“What are you talking about?” Kyungsoo asked quickly.


“I heard the door open,” I trailed.


“I didn’t hear anything.”


I shook my head, reaching up and rubbing my temples.


“Maybe I’m going crazy, but I swear I heard the front door.”


Kyungsoo stayed silent, standing up from his place at the island. I followed him out of the kitchen and down the hall, stopping at the door of the music room. He sat down and looked back at me.


“I can go If you-“


“No,” he interrupted, “I don’t mind.”


I blinked a couple of times, quietly placing myself on the chair next to the piano. I waited patiently as he opened the cover over the keys and stared down at them, analyzing them as he had done his tea. He placed his fingers over the keys carefully, pressing a few down in a melodic chord. He did this a few times with various chords, refreshing his memory of how the keys were placed. Before long he started playing the song I hadn’t finished. The opening chords of Vanilla Twilight filled the room, followed by his voice singing them.

He was definitely talented. His voice was smooth and careful, able to switch pitches without any complication. I found myself mouthing the words, soon getting lost in the song. I hadn’t realized he had stopped singing and been replaced by me until the song was over and he was smiling brightly at me.


“You’re a very good singer,” he complimented.


Surprisingly, I wasn’t embarrassed and my heart didn’t race in anxiety. I was calm and collected.


“Thank you,” I blushed, looking away.


“You really shouldn’t be so shy.”


I only nodded in response, unsure of how to properly reply. He played a few more chords before we heard the front door open and close. He quietly put the cover over the keys and we headed for the living room. We found Kai, Chen, and Lay standing in the front doorway, grinning under damp hair and clothes.


“Good morning, guys.”


They all replied in various manners, Lay immediately turning to Kyungsoo.


“Chanyeol isn’t feeling too well,” he began, “We think he might have a cold.”


I frowned. I didn’t want Chanyeol feeling left out of anything, but I knew he needed to rest.


“Why don’t we make him some soup and we can all just watch movies at your place? I mean, it’s supposed to rain all day today and tomorrow.” I suggested.


“That sounds like a great idea!”


“We can gather stuff up for soup and make enough for everyone. That can be lunch?”


With everyone in agreement we raided my kitchen, grabbing the stuff for chicken noodle soup before bagging it up and heading to the boys’ home. When I walked in I slid my shoes off and placed them by the door, quietly walking in behind Kai and Lay. I waved hello to everyone that was in the living room, being Tao, Xiumin, Suho, Sehun, and Baekhyun. Oddly enough, Baekhyun seemed embarrassed to see me, waving and looking back at the TV quickly.

 

“We should start making the soup,” Kyungsoo broke the silence.


“I’m going to go see how Chanyeol is doing,” he replied.


He nodded and pointed me up the stairs.


“He’s the second door on the right.”


I nodded and headed up the stairs quietly. If he was sleeping I didn’t want to disturb him. Unfortunately, with the amount of noise coming from various places in the house, I wasn’t entirely sure he could rest. Once I came to his door, I knocked on it lightly. I barely heard him say to enter. I pushed the door open slowly, peeking my head inside the door. He was laying on his bed, curled up in his comforter. He seemed surprised to see me.


“How are you feeling?” I asked as I walked into his room and closer to his bed.


He simply shook his head and hid his face in his comforter, leaving only his messy silver hair showing. He coughed a bit before poking his head back out.


“I’m freezing even though I haven’t left my bed,” he spoke weakly, “and I keep coughing.”


I slowly reached down and felt his forehead, immediately surprised at the fever.


“I’ll be right back,” I told him, immediately turning and bolting down the stairs. I slid into the kitchen and Lay and Kyungsoo looked at me in confusion.


“He’s running a pretty high fever,” I frowned, “Where do you guys keep your rags and such?”


Lay leaned over and opened a drawer, throwing a rag to me quickly. Kyungsoo and Lay simply glanced at each other. I ran it under cold water, wringing it out before waving a thank you and bounding back up the stairs. I re-entered Chanyeol’s room, sitting down on his bed next to him.


“Here,” I muttered quietly, placing the folded rag on his forehead.


It was silent for a few minutes as he closed his eyes and tried to rest. Eventually, the smell of the soup was all over the house, and Chanyeol’s eyes opened at it.


“That smells so good,” he croaked.


“It’s for you,” I replied with a smile.


He looked excited then, but only for a brief second before he turned his head away and coughed.


“Lay told us you were sick so we came up with the idea of hanging out here today and making soup and watching movies so you wouldn’t feel left out.”


He chuckled a bit.


“That was your idea, wasn’t it?”


I shook my head.


“It was a group decision.”


“You’re too kind,” he replied, “Just like I told you yesterday.”


I blushed then, my face getting warm. He reached up and touched my forehead, laughing.


“I think you’re running a fever now,” he joked.


I pulled away from him, sticking my tongue out.


“Your fever has made you delusional.”


We both laughed then.


“Feeling better?”


We looked to the door and found Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, both smiling at Chanyeol’s lightened condition.


“I won’t feel better until I eat whatever it is that smells so good,” he joked.


Baekhyun avoided my gaze, clearly still embarrassed about something. Kyungsoo nudged him and he jumped, startled.


“Well good news then, it’s ready.”


Chanyeol leaned up instantly. He seemed to be feeling much better now. I moved away from the bed as he stood and wrapped himself in his comforter. I laughed at how ridiculous he looked and he frowned.


“I’m still cold,” he muttered.


I simply laughed more, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo joining in before we all heaeded downstairs. The boys were nice enough to wait for Chanyeol to get some before they attacked it. Lay handed me a bowl he had gotten prior to the boys devouring what they wanted and I smiled kindly, thanking him.


“What movies should we watch?”


“Let’s watch something full of action!” Baekhyun suggested.


“Let’s watch a scary movie!” Suho interjected.

 

After a bit of argument, we eventually came to a decision to watch Iron Man and then The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. We sat in the living room, comfortably waiting for Xiumin to start Iron Man. On one sofa was Chanyeol, myself, Sehun, and Luhan. On the other was Tao, Kris, Xiumin, and Lay. Baekyhun, Suho, Chen, Kai, and Kyungsoo had taken the time to go upstairs and fetch various pillows and blankets to use as they sat at our feet. Everyone got quiet as the movie started, only the occasional sound of a spoon bumping against a bowl as someone at their soup breaking the silence.

-----x-----

[AUTHOR]

 

Hello everyone! I'm sorry this chapter took so long to come out, I just recently had to travel back to where I go to school and it's been kind of crazy preparing for the next quarter. Anyway, I hope you like this chapter. I'm not entirely sure how I want this story to go. I kind of have it planned so that it spans for a bit before breaking off into individual romances. Like, this story goes along as she gets to know them and then I'll start breaking it off into individual stories. [Like Lilah and Chanyeol, Lilah and Suho, Lilah and Xiumin, etc. With all the characters, that way everyone gets a story with their bias! :D]

 

Also, thank you for reading this and taking the time to subscribe to this story. I'm slowly working my way back into writing. Slowly.

Much love. <3