Enter the Rain

Earning Your Roar

By the time I’d showered, dried my hair, dressed myself, and made it downstairs the boys were already here. Mom looked up at me with a bright smile as I came down the stairs.

 

“There you are,” she beamed. “I was wondering if you were actually going to get up.”

 

She was speaking Korean. The boys all looking over to me expectedly.

 

“Of course,” I replied quietly.

 

I was embarrassed already. Quietly I made my way to my mother, standing beside her sheepishly with my head down. I didn’t want to make eye contact. I didn’t know these boys and that alone was enough to make me want to hide.

 

“Are you going to introduce yourself?”

 

My head shot up and I looked at mother like a deer in the headlights. She knew how I was and though it felt like I should be angry, I knew she was just trying to help. A smile and a nod answered her.

 

“My name is Delilah Holloway,” I stuttered.

 

The boys all smiled, one of them pushing through the middle of the group. He had a kind grin, his dark hair falling in his eyes as he reached a hand out to me.

 

“I’m Kim Jong In, but you can call me Kai.”

 

His voice was warm and made me feel at ease. I placed my hand in his and shook it. The tallest of the group leaned in, pushing his silver hair out of his face before extending his hand to me.

 

“Park Chanyeol,” he spoke deeply.

 

The blonde boy next to him stepped in then, giving a smile that could melt even the coldest of hearts.

 

“Oh Sehun.”

 

He had slight lisp, but it was almost unnoticeable. Another pushed his way through the group, a bright smile painted across his face.

 

“Byun Baekhyun,” He beamed.

 

The boy next to him extended his hand with a similar expression to Baekhyun.

 

“Kim Junmyeon, but you can call me Suho.”

 

The last boy gave a heart-shaped smile, his entire being holding a kind aura.

 

“Do Kyungsoo, or just D.O. if you like,” he spoke quietly.

 

My heart was racing by the end of introductions and I already felt exhausted. Mom looked at me out of the corner of her eye and knew what was going on in my head. I kept my smile though. I knew how much this meant to her and I was not going to let my nerves ruin it.

 

“Are you hungry? Or do you want to get your stuff settled in before you eat?”

 

There was a bit of discussion amongst the boys before a final decision on waiting for food came. Mom explained we would help them get settled before they turned and headed back outside to retrieve their belongings. She turned to me then, worried.

 

“Are you going to be alright, Lilah?”

 

I frowned at her tone. It pained me to worry her like this. Quickly I smiled and nodded.

 

“Yeah,” I started, “I’m just still kind of sleepy I guess.”

 

Her worry seemed to fade with that and we headed outside. It seemed like they had already taken most of their stuff inside. Mom and I grabbed a couple of duffle bags and carried them to the house they would be staying in. I stood in the living room downstairs, listening as they rushed about upstairs, probably claiming rooms. This summer was definitely going to be a long one, especially if introductions had caused me so much stress. I sighed and set the bags down.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

My eyes shot over to the voice, fear filling my brain. It calmed when I noticed it was only Kyungsoo.

 

“Yes,” I lied, “I’m just tired is all.”

 

My face was turning red and I could feel the burning sensation it brought with it. I immediately looked away from him, trying to hide my embarrassment. A quick glance to him told me that it was no use hiding.

 

“I’m sorry if I’ve embarrassed you,” he spoke apologetically with a frown.

 

“No, no,” I stuttered, “It’s not that, Kyungsoo, I’m just,” I paused.

 

What was I going to say? I was stressed out by their arrival? I didn’t know how to talk to people correctly? I was scared of people?

 

“I’m just not the best at meeting new people.”

 

A smile slipped across his lips then. It was warm and inviting and it made me feel safe.

 

“If it’s any consolation, you’ve done just fine with meeting us.”

 

Without realizing it, I smiled. Excitement filled me and suddenly I was feeling much better than before.

 

“Also, there’s no need to be so formal with me, unless it helps you in talking with me.”

 

My cheeks warmed up again. I had been taught that formalities were important, especially in meeting new people. I only nodded in response and turned to look back toward the front door. Baekhyun and Kai rushed past, fighting to get out the door first. Behind them, a disheveled looking Chanyeol sprinted after, yelling something incoherent at them. My mother stepped out of the kitchen and looked at the front door, shaking her head and laughing to herself.

Kyungsoo and I followed them out. As I stepped out, however, Chanyeol slammed straight into me and knocked both of us to the ground.

 

“I’m so sorry! Are you okay!?”

 

The worry in the voices of the four boys standing around me made me frown.

 

“I’m fine,” I replied quickly.

 

A few seconds later, Baekhyun burst into laughter. Kai followed suit and Chanyeol glared up at them before standing and leaning down to help me up.

 

“It’s not funny guys. I could have seriously hurt her.”

 

I laughed then, surprising Chanyeol.

 

“It’s going to take a lot more than that, I assure you.”

 

He blinked a few times before smiling in an amused manner. Baekhyun and Kai muttered something and then, suddenly, Chanyeol was chasing the two again. Kyungsoo still looked worried when I turned to him.

 

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

 

“I’m fine, I promise.”

 

I smiled at him and he seemed to relax a bit. With that, we took to grabbing the last few belongings of the boys, hoisting them over our shoulders and into the house. They didn’t take long to throw their things into their rooms and meet back downstairs, the discussion of food becoming a hot topic.

 

“How about you guys go swimming while I prepare lunch?”

 

Barring Kyungsoo and Chanyeol, the boys agreed happily. Chanyeol had mentioned something about being too tired to swim and followed Kyungsoo in offering his help in the kitchen.

 

“Lilah, would you mind waiting for the others while we go and start lunch?”

 

I smiled at mom, shaking my head.

 

“Not at all.”

 

She motioned for the two boys to follow her, both waving back at me before disappearing out the front door. Finally alone, I sighed heavily. I closed my eyes for a second and relaxed. I was starting to feel worn out again.

 

“You look tired?”

 

For the second time that day, I flinched and whipped my head around to meet someone. Sehun stood quietly at the bottom of the stairs, pushing his bright blonde hair from his face before smiling.

 

“I am,” I replied quietly.

 

His smile broke into a grin as he passed by me and sat on the couch. Behind me I heard someone jump the last few steps and land on the ground. Sehun’s attention had been taken too. I found Kai standing triumphantly with a grin plastered across his face. My face immediately got hot when I realized he wasn’t wearing a shirt. I hadn’t really been around guys, much less guys without their shirts on. I looked away quickly, dropping my head a bit and letting my hair cover my face.

 

“Delilah, are you okay?” Kai questioned.

 

I only nodded my head and averted my eyes from him as I raised my head. These boys were going to kill me.

 

“I’m uh,” I fumbled for the right words to say.

 

“She’s embarrassed by how absolutely hideous you are, Kai.”

 

My head turned to Suho immediately, mouth slightly agape and eyes wide. The playful grin Suho wore looked natural on him, like he wasn’t even trying.

 

“That’s too mean,” I heard Baekhyun yell from upstairs. “You’re going to hurt his pride!”

 

His voice got closer as he appeared behind Suho, shoving him playfully. I glanced over to Kai, who wore an exaggerated frown.

 

“You don’t really think I’m ugly, do you?” Kai teased.

 

My body remained frozen. I had no idea what to do or say. I started to feel lightheaded and quickly racked my brain for some way to get past this.

 

“We’re going to waste away all our swimming time,” Sehun interrupted.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Suho replied, waving his reply off jokingly.

 

Kai skipped past me, Baekhyun and Suho following closely behind. Momentarily forgetting Sehun, I breathed a sigh of relief. I was still lightheaded and my heart still raced a bit, but overall I was just glad to be out of the spotlight.

 

“I’m sorry if that was a bit much.

 

Sehun’s voice was quiet and kind. I immediately turned to him and forced a smile, shaking my head.

 

“No, no. It was fine. I was just caught a bit off guard,” I lied.

 

He smiled in reply and I turned away from him, walking toward the front door. The walk to my house was silent, and I was thankful. I still needed some time to calm down. Upon entering my home, I led Sehun to the kitchen and pointed toward the set of sliding glass doors that showed the pool.

 

“If you need anything, just let me know.”

 

He nodded in reply and headed out, joining Kai, Baekhyun, and Suho in the pool. Turning to the island in the center of our kitchen, I smiled to Kyungsoo and Chanyeol, both of which were busy cutting something up for lunch. They replied in kind and I walked over to them, glancing about the kitchen to see what I could help with.

 

-----x-----