Singing in the Rain

Singing in the Rain

*LOUD THUNDER*

The streets of Seoul looks chaotic with the sudden pour of the rain this late afternoon. Cars beep loudly as traffic moves slowly. Office workers, and students rush with their umbrellas to get off the rain. Others run with their coats or jackets to keep them from getting wet. There are some that have nothing to keep them dry from the rain so they stand under the stores or bus stops.

One of the people waiting under the shade of a closed store is a young man in his twenties. Although he’s clothed in normal, and rather raggy clothes, his face looks fresh and attractive. He also somewhat looks foreign. He quietly and calmly waits for the rain to stop as he looks at the people who rush by.

He’s observing them. Reading them.

That guy must be late for something. Hope he makes it. He thought as he sees a man running.

On the other hand, this student has a lot of time in her hands. He thought as he looks at a girl leisurely passing by. Maybe she likes the rain.

He then sees a couple. The girl is clinging on to the arms of the guy as he holds the umbrella for the two of them. That must be nice. What a gentleman. Things like that makes you warm on a cold weather like this.

Suddenly, he hears a gleeful hum. He looks to his right and is surprised to see a guy. He was so focused on observing people that he didn’t notice him at all. The guy looks like he’s in his twenties, or maybe younger? Is he a student? But he’s not wearing a uniform? As he further observes him, he notices that he’s also slightly smiling. A smile barely noticeable, but it’s definitely there.

Suddenly, the guy’s eyes turns to him. He had noticed him!

“Oh sorry. Were you bothered by my humming?” the guy asks.

“No, no! Not at all! I guess I was just intrigued. Sorry for staring.”

“Hehe. It’s okay.” He then looks away and stares at the dark cloudy sky. “It hasn’t rained like this in a while.”

“Huh? Excuse me?”

“I said it hasn’t rained like this in a while” the guy said smiling, now looking at him.

He has now seen the full features of the guys face as he faced him once again. He has very fair skin, and a nice face shape. But what’s attracting him more is his eyes. Its cat-like shape but welcoming eyes grabs your attention.

The cat-eyed guy moves closer to him. And extends his hand to him.

“By the way, I’m Kim Minseok.”

He’s slightly taken aback with this guy’s friendliness, but nonetheless grabs his hand and shakes it. “Uh. I’m Lu Han.”

“Oh. That’s a unique name!”

“I’m Chinese.”

“What?!? But you speak good Korean?!?” His cat-like eyes becomes big and round in shock and disbelief.

“Hehe. Thank you.”

The two smile at each other. They then look away as they continue to wait for the rain.

 

After a while, Luhan finds that he can’t keep his eyes off of Minseok. He keeps stealing glances at him. Those eyes. He wants to gaze deeply in those beautiful eyes. He feels awkward being attracted to someone’s eyes, more so of a guy, but he just couldn’t look away.

Suddenly, Minseok’s eyes turns to him again.

“I wonder when will the rain stop?” Minseok asks.

Startled, Luhan shyly answers, “Uhm...I’m not sure.”

Minseok looks at him. His eyes seems to be curious of something.

“You don’t seem to be in a hurry?”

“Uh… not really. How about you?” Luhan answers.

“Same. I was just heading home.” Minseok casually answers.

Then they fall to another awkward silence.

Luhan turns his head down and stares at the wet pavement. He’s trying not to look at him. He feels embarrassed for staring at him. He might actually notice that he’s staring at him and he might think weirdly of him.

“By the way,” Minseok suddenly speaks which made Luhan startled again, “If you’re Chinese, then what are you doing here in Seoul?”

“Oh. I’m studying.”

“Really? How old are you?” Minseok asks again.

“I’m 25.”

“Whoa! We’re the same age! Interesting.” With this Minseok flashes a big smile.

He seems pleased that we’re the same age. Maybe he doesn’t have many same-age friends?

“Sorry. Am I bothering you with my questions?” Minseok asks.

“No, it’s fine!” Luhan smiles to assure him he’s not being bothered. “Can I ask something?”

“Go ahead.”

“Why were you humming a cheerful song even though it’s raining like this?” Luhan curiously asked.

“Well… why not? The rain doesn’t always have to be gloomy, right?” Minseok smiled.

Luhan smiles. This guy is very positive with his life. Good for him, I guess.

“Can I ask another question?” Luhan asks again.

“Sure!” Minseok gladly answers.

“What do you do?”

“Hehe. I work as an assistant in a toy shop.” Minseok shyly answers.

“Really? You have an interesting job. What do you actually do as an assistant?”

“I just stack some toys or books. Help lift stuff. Just basically assisting to anything. Hehe.” Minseok shyly answers again.

Minseok shoots a question, “You? What do you study?”

“Music, specifically composing.” Luhan humbly answers.

“Well, that’s unexpected! You don’t look like you’re a music student at all! Hehe” Minseok jokingly says.

“What do you mean by that? Hehe. Well you also don’t look like someone working in a toy shop. Hehe.”

“Well, what do you think I look like?”

“You look like an IT personnel. Someone good with computers. Hehe”

“So you’re saying I’m a nerd? Haha. Well you look like a business major! Hehe”

The two both giggle at their almost nonsensical conversation. They feel like fools, but they feel like happy fools. Somehow, their conversation makes them more comfortable and open with each other. They feel light and pleasant while talking with the other.


 

Slowly, a feeling of attraction is starting to spark.

 

For now, they feel like they don’t want the rain to stop.


 

After a long chat, the rain is finally toning down. For that short time, Luhan and Minseok have become closer. Not only have their distance become nearer, but also their hearts has started to grow fond of each other.

“Look at that, the rain is finally stopping.” Minseok says as he raises his hand to check the amount of rain droplets.

“Yeah. It rained for quite a long time. I didn’t even notice the time pass by. It’s almost 7pm!” Luhan says.

“I think we can already walk in this weather.” Minseok informs Luhan.

“That’s nice. I go this way.” Luhan points to his left.

“Oh… I go this way.” Minseok points to the opposite direction.

Luhan’s face becomes a bit upset and sad. Minseok notices this and says, “You’re not in a hurry right? If you still want to talk, there’s a coffee shop nearby… So what do you say?”

Luhan pauses. He really wants to talk more to Minseok, but then Luhan realizes that he also needs to go home to study. He’s torn by what he feels and what he thinks.

Minseok becomes aware of him thinking and says, “Uhm... it’s okay. If you can’t stay any longer, it’s fine.”

“No, no it’s fine!”

“Really? Then why were you thinking too long? It’s okay for you to go now… We can meet on another day.” Minseok smiles.

Luhan thinks again. He unconsciously smirks. “Okay. When?”

“Whenever you’re free!” Minseok flashes his cheerful smile again.

Luhan smiles, “Okay. Same place, same time. Wednesday!”

They both smile at each other and bid good bye.

As Luhan walked home, he can’t help but think of how he could have randomly met such a nice and interesting guy like Minseok. He may become a good friend of Minseok. If he does, hopefully their friendship last. Luhan thinks again, If it hadn’t rained today, I wouldn’t have met him.

Luhan walks off while humming the song Minseok hummed.