Three of Me(s)

Three of Me(s)

There are three of mes. No, I make it sounded like I had a doppelganger or something. It’s just.. I’m triplets, and the only girl in the family. I have two older brothers (Okay, make it four if you counts my twins), Kim Junmyun and Kim Minseok. They’re my step-brothers, but my mother married their father when they’re still young, so our age doesn’t gap a lot.

And there’s us, Yoomin, Youngmin, and Kwangmin. You can guess by our names, right? Yeah. I’m Yoomin. And I’m a girl, in case you wonder.

As the only girl in the family, my brothers protected me a lot. Maybe too protect. Well, only Junmyun and Minseok who did that. We triplets don’t do that. We care about each other a lot, but we respect each other privacies. Minseok and Junmyun digs through our privacies. Oh yeah! They dugs into my brothers lives, too, of course. They said it’s because we’re the youngest, but just like my older brother Youngmin said, “They probably didn’t have much things to do.”.

I could remember on seventh grade, Youngmin had liked this girl for like, two years, and he wanted to go out with her. I remembered vividly, because Kwangmin and I were so excited, filled with giddy excitements as if we’re the one who’ll go to a date. Kwangmin picked his shoes, I picked his cologne, and he chose the outfit himself. And you know what our older brothers did?

Junmyun had stalked his phone and found out about the date. Minseok then texted a long text to her, explaining that Youngmin is too young to have a girlfriend, and even phoned her to make his points clear.

The girl wouldn’t even talk to Youngmin during his year in seventh grade.

And that’s not the only time our brothers went overboard.

 One time, Kwangmin was super-duper excited because he had been picked as the soccer keeper. But Junmyun phoned Luhan, the captain and also his friend to explain that ‘being a keeper is extremely dangerous. Can you switch his position?’ so Kwangmin is stuck to being a bencher. Youngmin and I knew how hard he practiced, and we witnessed when he cried and cried as if his world being crushed after he got home on the day Luhan told him that he’s going to be a bencher again.

And me? One time, I was so excited, because Byun Baekhyun, my bestie, bought me a BEAST album for my birthday. But Minseok went to his house, bowing and apologizing and saying that ‘he shouldn’t buy something so expensive’ , and give that album back! (Well, Baekhyun gave that to me again, but still,)

And that’s it. We’ve reached our breaking points. We’re on ninth-grade now, for heaven’s sake, and our brothers still treated us like we’re preschoolers. It’s okay if it’s just a lunch menu problem, like when they force us to bring cod oil to drink at school (well, I snuck mine out, and Youngmin gave that oil to a vagabond while Kwangmin threw it into a trash can without even looking).

But there are times when they snuck into our private lives. They forced Youngmin to quit singing, they forced Kwangmin to quit dancing, and forced me to ‘stay-a-good-ten-meters-from-Byun-Baekhyun’. My twin brothers were both on basketball now, and I’m on cheerleading. We met up a lot at the field, and we had decided that we must get out from our older brothers hands.

So we set up a plan.

                ***

“Baekhyun is coming at seven.” I announce as I sat myself comfortably on my usual chair, in between Youngmin and Kwangmin at dinner.

“Yoomin, didn’t I told you to stay a good ten meters from him?” Minseok cuts in, his voice sounded so curt that I winced.

“He’s coming for me.” Youngmin adds in, with a complete innocent look on his face. “And no, you didn’t tell me to ‘stay-a-good-ten-meters’ from Baekhyun. You only told Yoomin.”

Junmyun sighed. “I think I made my point clear. Look, when I told Yoomin to stay a ‘good ten meters’ from him, I address it to all of you guys.”

“But you only said like this, ’Yoomin, I think Baekhyun has been a bad influence. Could you please avoid him, Yoomin?’ see, I quoted your sayings, and there’s no mention of Youngmin and Kwangmin.” Kwangmin now adds in, looking as innocent as Youngmin.

Minseok sighed. “Look, before I lose my patience—“ But luckily, before he could talk more, the bell rang. Kwangmin ran to open the door, and come back with Baekhyun on his arms. He’s grinning ear-to-ear as we triplets secretly winking each other.

                ***

“What did you guys do after school?” Junmyun asks curtly as we three stepped inside our home at 7 P.M. Minseok was away, thank god. Dad wants him to go to Japan to take care of his academic tuition or something, I don’t really care, honestly.

“Yeah, well. We practiced singing—“

“Didn’t Minseok told you to drop singing because it’ll hurt your throat?!” Junmyun cuts in, sharply, eyeing an innocent-looking Youngmin.

“No, hyung, you’re wrong. Youngmin obey you. I am the one who took singing class.” Kwangmin puts in, a simple smile curled on the side of his lips as he took off his coat.

Junmyun his head before spoke in a defeated tone. “Kwangmin, don’t you know that it’ll hurt your throa—“

“The teacher even said that Kwangmin had a great lung and won’t sore his throat, right?” I quickly add in, nudging both of my twins. That’s one of the advantages I got from having twins. We didn’t need to discuss a plan beforehand—It only takes a simple thing, such as a wink or a nudge, and we’ll come out with a really good and realistic candid plan.

Youngmin blinks for a milisecond before chimed in brightly. “Yes! The teacher even asks if all of our family members could sing so beautifully.” He smiled proudly at Kwangmin, who did his best to act humble while, I know, is dying to laugh. I know because I wanted to laugh so badly too. Youngmin must be stifled a laugh too, because he suddenly cough, and then excuse us to our room.

We laughed our head off later at our room.

                ***    

“Youngmin, for heaven’s sake, what are you doing?” Minseok asked, looking horrified as he’s eyeing Kwangmin who lie flat on the floor, Youngmin hovering him.

Youngmin glanced slightly before turning his attention to Kwangmin again. “Yeah, and it went like this—“ He then smacked Kwangmin’s shin, send the younger boy to the floor.

“I said, what is going on here?!” Minseok asks again, his voice sounded dangerous.

“Didn’t it seem obvious, oppa? They’re dancing. Seonsaengnim just taught us that move this evening.” I looked up, looking annoyed as I speak with an impatience tone.

“Jo Kwangmin, didn’t I told you to quit dancing because you might get hurt?” He asks sharply to Kwangmin who is currently lying on the floor.

“Oh, but I did, hyung. I quit the class.” Kwangmin answered, still lying on the floor.

“Then, tell me, for heaven’s sake, why are you dancing now?! And sit straight when I’m talking to you!” Minseok speaks, his face reddens. After the Baekhyun and singing problem, he and Junmyun became more sensitive.

“It’s me who took dancing classes, hyung, and not him.” Youngmin adds up, looking at Minseok fearlessly.

“QUIT THAT CLASS!”

“Oh, hyung, but I can quote what you said before: ‘Kwangmin, please quit dancing. Your body is the weakest among you three. Yoomin and Youngmin could take that class, but you, please quit.’” Kwangmin sat overly straight, his deep, black eye looking at Minseok with an intense gaze.

With a sigh, Minseok exits the room.

Me, Youngmin, and Kwangmin exchanged a big and happy smiles.

                ***

After we confront them, everything’s changed. They don’t involve in our lives anymore. They started to respect our privacies. Once, Minseok even ask Youngmin if he can borrow his phone, because his phone is out of battery. For Minseok, who usually just took our phone and use it without even bothers to asks, that’s a HUGE difference.

And Junmyun.. he even asks us what we wanted to eat at lunch! For Junmyun who usually cooks a “healthy” meal (usually bean sprouts) for our dinner, he’d changed.

So, our plan worked out well. Junmyun and Minseok finally understood what we—Me, Youngmin, and Kwangmin wants—A little freedom.

It’s a really lucky luck that there’s three of mes.