Chapter 2. To Be Told

Language Change

Nick pov

I slowly blink my eyes open and as the brightness fades I see my parents who jump up and shout something in a different language, 'French maybe' I wonder 'when did they learn that?'. A doctor walks into the room at the noises my parents are making and focuses his gaze on me then starts speaking fluent italian, the only thing I can understand is my name coming from his mouth.

My eyes widen fearfully at the words that I cant understand and my mouth falls open and I start speaking quickly looking pleadingly at my parents.

"Mum, Dad who is this? Why is he speaking spanish? What happened to good old english?"

My eyes stay wide as I watch my mother turn to the doctor confused and says something in latin. The doctor holds one finger up and walks out soon coming back with a female nurse who says to me "hello, are you okay?" I just sigh and smile in relief before replying "yeah im okay but why is everyone speaking in swedish instead of english?" the nurse looks awkwardly at the doctor and says something to him in japanese and he nods before she turns back to me and speaks carefully,

"they are speaking in english.. you are speaking fluent korean." My eyes feel like they are going to pop out of my head and I whisper "are you sure?"

The nurse nods "you can understand me because I am speaking korean to you. Im sure you are very confused so the doc is going to send you for a few brain scans to find out the damage so I will be back later to explain and translate for you" she smiles and I smile in return muttering a thanks before a group of doctors walk in and push my hospital bed out of my room and down the hallways to an unfamiliar room.

Time skip cause I can

I find myself in a recovery room waking up from anethesia and I shake my head slowly to wake up more and after a few moments I find myself being pushed back to my original room with my parents and I relax for a few moments until the doctor and the korean-speaking-nurse walks in and the words coming from surprise me 

"This change appears like its going to be permanant because of the area of the brain that was damaged. your brain was injured to the point where it lost control of the english language and replaced its self with what you where studying which was, judging by the paper in your hand at the time, Korean" She pulls out a familiar paper and I look at the characters '안녕하세요 닠 입니다.' I read off the paper "Annyeonghaseyo Nick ibnida... i didnt know that?" I also see the korean characters with small scrawls next to each "Is that?" I point to the scrawls and look at the korean speaking nurse who responds "Yes the romanisation of the characters" 

I blink and lean back trying to comprehend everything and whisper "I need to be alone right now" out of the corner of my eye I see the nurse nod and speak what I now know is english and ushering everyone out of the room and turning the heart machine off since it wasnt needed anymore. I lay back and close my eyes thinking about everything.

As I sleep I drift into a sleep of bright colours and confusing patterns.