Forest of the Dead

The Prince and the Swan.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n : just an fyi this story is going to be very detailed and every detail is important... kinda. idk.

 

 

Carved into the simplicity of red sandalwood and honey rosewood, melodies of Liuqin and pipa floated in the evening air. The soft hum of Guzheng strung harmoniously, intoxicated the people’s mind as they merrily danced on their bare feet and drank with open hearts.

Colored lanterns hung on bamboo bars, swayed along the melodic breeze of the sea; the sweet scent of a successful harvest season.

 

Princess Chenguang wore a marigold garland that contrasted her shimmery silk robe and patterned satin belts.

Her uncle, the King of Reiv, had thrown a royal feast for the people of their land. It was the first time in twenty years of her existence that she saw the kingdom burst with colourful lights, wine, music and laughter.

The Princess’s hair was decorated with glittery buds and leaves of early spring. The King, the Queen and the Prince dined with men of valor and ladies of their land. She watched the royal family with a smile on her face but a burden on her heart. Though she was a princess, she felt as though she never really belonged to the castle.

 

It was precisely fifteen years ago when her father, who was the King of the territory of Reiv, had mysteriously disappeared. The Queen had just given birth to a beautiful baby boy, Chenglie. He was born with a black scar that stretched along his spine and the people of the castle accused the Queen for giving birth to a demonic creature. The black scar had little veins branching outwards all over his back.

Upon the news of the King’s disappearance, the Queen fled with her newborn on a small ship venturing into the immortal sea where death was certain.

 

The King’s younger brother, Wu Yi Fan took the throne and rebuilt the broken land of Reiv and whatever left behind by the runaway royal family.

He adopted his niece and never spoke of her parents ever again. She lived exactly like she had before; only now she didn’t know whether she deserved to be called a princess or be shunned by the people of the castle like her mother was.

More often than not, Princess Chenguang would find herself wondering about the heavens above where her family now lived. She still had the heart of a child and the dark voices appeared daunting almost mocking her. The empty feeling of abandonment would creep into her heart speaking in hushed whispers within her mind and she would find herself asking; why did they leave me?

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                              ~~~~

 

 

 

Baekhyun started running into the trees of the forest, gripping on to his bow. He’d never felt more alive than he did at that moment. Though that feeling didn’t last long, as he lost his footing on mangled roots of a growing tree. With a simple twist of ankles, the prince fell head first onto the marshy ground in an abrupt and harsh tumble.

Groaning loudly, Baekhyun held his head in his hands and realized that his bow had snapped in the middle, rendering it useless. The pain on the side of his forehead felt sharp and with an aching skull Baekhyun rose from the ground, looking around the place.

The excitement of his newfound freedom came with a price. All the trees looked identical to each other, and suddenly panic flooded his veins, clouding his mind.

Getting lost in a jungle was far from his initial intention as he shuffled around, his heart thumping loudly within his chest.

 

“I will look for a trail!” He thought to himself.

“Yes. That’s what hunters do right? They look for a trail that leads them back.” His words came out in a stutter as he realized he was speaking to the trees, his shaky voice echoing through the woods. This was the longest he’d been left alone; a feeling that didn’t quite seem so appealing to him anymore.

 

His bow was all broken lying in a rubble as he picked up his leather quiver, shoving scattered arrows back inside. Scanty sunlight littered the gravely path as Baekhyun walked through the trees, with dust on his attire and slight mud on his face. Heavy clouds gathered above, grey and dark.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter