The Prince of Fera

The Prince and the Swan.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His feet were small and leather clad as they hurried up the stone steps leading to the roof. The walls, uneven and rough had a noticeable film of dust settled on them. The air smelled stale and damp. The green moss growing in between cracks affirmed the incessant rain being its cause. The echo of shoes against concrete reverberated dully, resounding within the hollow winding staircase.

 

Baekhyun looked back and the stairwell appeared pitch dark. The light emitting from the lantern was small and feeble against the howling wind from the ceiling windows above.

The roof was empty and quiet, much too quiet for Baekhyun’s liking but he walked ahead anyway.

Wrapping his emerald green scarf around his neck he huffed, breathing in the midnight air.

The night seemed colder than he’d thought as he shivered a little, hanging the lantern on the stone wall.

 

The velvety sky above was adorned with little stars, some bigger shinning brighter than the others. Sitting under the fiery torch, he turned the leaves of a book his father had gifted him until he reached the desired page.

“tiān é zuò”  He carefully said the words out loud, fingers brushing over the nine bumped dots on the page.

The telescope was small and not as good as his father’s, Baekhyun knew.

Little fingers wrapped around the bronze skin of his telescope, he looked through the circular glass.

The sky was studded with little diamonds and finding his favorite constellation amidst the clustery expanse of the moonless sky seemed harder than he had expected. The brighter stars subdued the little twinkling ones. With a twist of the cylindrical rods, bronze against bronze, the view became clearer.

 

His ears perked up as he heard shuffling feet and distant panted breaths getting closer.

“Prince!”

Baekhyun’s heart thudded softly because he was far from done. The telescope slipped from his hands, clanking loudly against the roof floor. Looking away from the guards, Baekhyun feigned anger towards them by stomping his feet.

“Go away! Leave me alone, I’m not a baby anymore!” Baekhyun huffed, his bony arms crossed over his chest.

“But prince, the king is looking for you and the queen…. your mother is worried.” The head-guard Suho, offered him his hand.

Baekhyun frowned and whipped his head away, his arms still folded across his chest. He wished they would leave him alone, but he knew it was a wish ungranted.

 

“It’s cold out here. Don’t you think so?” Suho spoke to the little prince who liked to call him the guardian of all the guards.

Baekhyun closed his eyes, furrowing his brows as he decided not to speak, turning his back towards them.

Suho came closer, kneeling next to Baekhyun as he gently held his hand.

“I will let you see Xīng if you come with me.”

Baekhyun’s eyes opened wide as he sharply gasped. Jumping around Suho he laughed loudly, giddy and giggling.

 

In Suho’s twelve long years of service in the castle, seven were spent around the little prince. He cherished the young one and knew him well.

“Really? Really, will you let me?”

 

Perhaps he knew the prince a little too well.

 

His giggles were shrill and infectious.

“Certainly my prince.” Suho smiled, picking up Baekhyun from the ground. “I promise.”

Wrapping his arms around Suho’s neck, Baekhyun clutched on to his telescope firmly.

 

Suho had always been Baekhyun’s favorite but sometimes he wished he had friends his age. Friends who wouldn’t carry him when he got angry; friends who would fall when pushed; friends who didn’t have to kneel down next to him.

Baekhyun’s eyelids felt burdened and heavy; his head drooping over Suho’s shoulders until his body went limp.

 

The Queen, Shin Hyejeong had draped a red cloak around her narrow shoulders, softly leaning against the glass paned window. The thick curtains were embroidered with golden lace and the black tassels hung low. The castle walls were unending and seemed to go on forever into the night’s darkness.

Suho entered the queen’s chambers as she moved slowly to avoid the rustling sound of fabric. Smiling, she held Baekhyun gathering him in her arms. Sound asleep, he resembled a slumbering angel with his hazelnut hair and dark lashes.

Prying the brazen telescope out of Baekhyun’s grasp, she carefully put it back its case. The entire castle knew how dearly the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter