Dawn

The Prince and the Swan.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What on earth were you doing outside?”

The question startled Jongdae as he lifted his head and blinked away the darkness from his eyes. The wandering forest boy was sat on a worn-out rag with his legs folded and hands clasped together in front of him.

 

The thatched roof was splayed slightly, some places more than others. The afternoon sunlight trickled in, spreading warmth over Jongdae face.

His eyes fell upon the boy’s face. His curved lips looked a bow and his brows were straight like a wooden arrow.

 

“Your skin is on fire, you can barely stand up on your own, and yet for some reason you found it acceptable to be by yourself in the woods.” The boy continued as Jongdae remained silent trying to rub the aching pain out of his temples.

“How did you get me here?” His voice came out in a croak as he coughed in a violent fit, thunderous yet weak. The boy quickly retrieved a cup of water from the earthen pail kept by the window and brought it to his lips. Jongdae pushed himself up, leaning on his elbows.

“I carried you here.” The boy sighed. “By myself.” He spoke, hinting an odd sense of pride laced within his words.

“I may look small but surely my strength is immense; it is something I never boast about really.” His eyes were small and drooped downwards.  “Though your bones did hurt me when I carried you. You’re so thin… when was the last time you ate?”

The question felt too impolite and the stranger, too burdening. Jongdae poured himself some more water avoiding the boy’s inquisitive eyes.

Upon receiving no answer to his questions Baekhyun moved, sitting next to Jongdae. “I was worried someone lived here because of these belongings but no-one has come to throw us out yet, so I suppose it couldn’t be too bad.”

 

Jongdae sipped water before coughing slightly. He leaned against the wall and breathed, rhythmic. He was sure about losing his job at the mill or receive a reprimand at best in front of the coastal tribe. Perhaps neither was better. How nice would it be if he just lied down, and never woke up again.

Baekhyun fidgeted about, curious yet reserved. His wandering eyes found everything new, exciting. The boy who saved him from the beast was as quiet as the air around them. It was starting to feel as if Baekhyun was speaking to a wall.

Baekhyun cleared his throat and spoke again. “We must leave. The owners of this place will surely not be too pleased to see us here.” Baekhyun said.

“That won’t be necessary.” The raspy throat hurt Jongdae as he spoke. “Because this is my place.”

“This?” Baekhyun exclaimed raising his brows, looking around. “This is your house?” His slacked jaw hung open made him look like a child. Jongdae’s eyes found it amusing the way his lips formed an ‘o’. He smiled within and laughing softly with his eyes but his lips showed no such emotion.

A small willow bird pecked at the window ledge before fluttering its wings and flying away. Baekhyun couldn’t fathom how Jongdae lived in such a shack. The wooden door was broken at the bottom and the thatched roof was leaking water. The place was almost empty except for a few earthen pots and tools. The rags were torn and wet.

 

“May I ask you a question?”

"Haven't you already?" Jongdae raised one of his eyebrows, looking at the boy.

Baekhyun shook his head in annoyance. "You know what I mean.."

Jongdae moved his head, nodding.

“Why do you live in the middle of nowhere?”

Jongdae placed his cup near the wall and blinked at Baekhyun.

“What?” He asked with a pinched face. It felt like the boy was mocking him. Everyone knew about the banishment of Jongdae and his uncle into the forest of the dead.

“I mean your isolated dwelling is a cause of concern, considering the fact that you live here all alone. Isn’t it unsafe to have this shed-like house amongst the roaming beasts of the forest?”

 

His open eyes seemed curious and child-like. Perhaps news didn’t travel south yet.

Jondae sighed, rolling his eyes. “I don’t li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter