Seven

Catch 22
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Δ

 

 

All my respect and admiration for him crumbled in a span of moments. Here I was, thinking he was all this high and mighty, and hero-like but he somehow managed to break all my expectations at the same time. I could feel my forehead crease. Suddenly, he looked ridiculous in his pink shorts. I was irked and confused.

 

But, more so, I was curious.

 

I did my best not to show the annoyance in my voice – “Why the hell are you telling me this?” – but failed miserably. The low chuckle that followed was menacing. I couldn’t find any hints of emotion in his voice but he sounded…tired. He looked straight at me. “Someday you’ll know why.”

 

Instead of finding peace, I became more annoyed. Like, why can’t you just say it now? I might be less pissed at you, just so you know. Before I could shout profanities at him, he continued talking. “All I can tell you right now is that you’ll be saving a life by giving Baekhyun up,” he said.

 

“Trust me, Chanyeol. You’ll be doing yourself a favor.”

 

But when it comes to Baekhyun I’d rather lose everyone else if that meant having him with me forever. Even if that meant sacrificing myself. Even if that meant speaking truths even if they hurt.

 

“No offense,” I began. “I had all respect for you the first time I saw you, but seeing now that you’re this who comes into our lives unannounced and drops bombs and expects us to do whatever you want, I just want to say… screw you.”

 

There. I said it.

 

“And thank you for walking into my life. Now you may leave.”

 

As if on cue, he smirked and shrugged. “Just in time. Tell Baekhyun I had to go because something came up at uni.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t tell me what to do.”

 

He laughed one last time and started walking even managing a small wave as he slowly trekked down the hill. I watched his white tee and pink shorts slowly blend into the darker foliage and found myself thinking about what he said. Where was his motive coming from? Why would he even want us to break up? Was he secretly in love with Baekhyun?

 

Or… Or did Mrs. Byun originally arrange them to be together when they were kids?!

 

I closed my eyes to calm myself. I felt like screaming. Why’d he have to add to the mess in my head?

 

When I opened my eyes, they automatically scanned to find Minseok who appeared to be standing in the middle of the paved road, talking to someone straddling a bike.

 

Baekhyun.

 

What the hell? What is he even telling my Baekhyun?

 

The next thing I remember was the cold breeze assaulting my face as I started sprinting down the hill.

 

 

 

 

 

Δ

 

 

 

 

It was a two minute sprint. The moment I reached where they were, my hands grabbed for Baekhyun. He was understandably surprised.

 

“Baek,” I managed to say after a fit of rapid breaths. Minseok was looking at me and all I could muster was a stare.

 

“Jesus Christ, Yeol. What’s the rush?” Baekhyun said. His face was matted in confusion and a hint of annoyance. I turned to look at Minseok again and his lips were pressed into a thin line. For a moment, I saw him shake his head. It was a very minute gesture that it was easy to miss. But there it was, taunting and infuriating.

 

He doesn’t want Baekhyun to know.

 

And as much as I want to tear him apart in front of Baekhyun (and finally get some answers!) I felt it wasn’t the right time to make a mess.

 

“I just…” I began, never taking my eyes off the older boy. “I was afraid something might grab me from the dark.”

 

Minseok smirked. I want your head on a platter, I said to myself. Baekhyun rolled his eyes. But not today.

 

“I can’t believe that’s coming from a grown- man like you,” my boyfriend commented. “Well anyway, it looks like Minseok hyung here has to leave.”

 

“Yeah,” I said, faking a pout. “Looks like he’s off to break more first impressions.” 

 

“What?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“I mean, he was like this Mr. Prim-And-Proper the first time I saw him and now he’s wearing a tee and pink shorts. And now I guess he has to go sprint and break a sweat else he misses the bus. We’d get to see him in his most natural state.”

 

As if on cue, Minseok looked at his watch before turning his attention back to us. “He’s right. I gotta go.” He smiled. “It was nice seeing you again.”

 

Just when I thought he’s thrown the white flag, he grabbed Baekhyun and took him in a hug. You- Baekhyun was far from flustered. But then again that’s skinship! After an agonizing three seconds, he let my boyfriend go. He then gave me a grin and patted my shoulder.

 

“It was nice talking to you, Chanyeol,” he began. “Goodbye.”

 

I wanted to grab his wrist and break his bones. The brightness on his face was in stark contrast with his coldness from the hill earlier. I was too eager to know the meaning of it all, of why he wanted me to break up with Baek. I need to go past this annoyance somehow and tackle this with a clear head. He’s a devil in an angel’s robes and I’m oh too willing to take him by the horns. But even so, I managed to answer him with a smile and some final words.

 

“Thanks for letting me get to know you, hyung.”

 

Only ten minutes later does Baekhyun bring up Minseok again. I was walking him home, the both of us dragging the bikes with us – Baek’s had his while I carried (albeit with a heavy heart) Minseok’s. I was trapped in my thoughts as usual when I noticed Baekhyun calling my name.

 

“Yeol?” he asked, looking at me with creased brows. “Did you hear me?”

 

My mind was suddenly in a blank.

 

“Huh? Yeah. Of course. Why’d you ask?” I replied.

 

“Uhm… I don’t know, maybe because I was telling you that Minseok hyung was going to help us in moving in next week?”

 

“Oh really?” I beamed. Ugh. “That’s great.”

 

“Yeol, honestly, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah! Of course. Why?”

 

But I bet my he knew I had something else going on in mind. One by one, the street lamps started switc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter