It Was Once Called Friendship

What We Once Were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Five Years Ago

Seoul National University

 

      “We get it, you’re dating. Now please stop the lip locking, it isn’t sanitary for my eyes.” I hear Daesung mumble from behind us, and I immediately push myself away from Jiyong’s lips, my face heating up. I catch the small smirk on Jiyong’s face and roll my eyes.

      “Let the love birds be. They should enjoy it while it lasts.” Hye Yoon unnie emerges from behind him, her iconic red lips in a scowl as she maintains eyes contact with my boyfriend.

      “Hye Yoon,” Daesung sighs and holds her arm, only for her to yank it back and fold it across her chest.

      “Unnie, don’t.” I plead. It’s been a month since Jiyong and I had started dating, and she still hasn’t accepted it. She even cut her summer short and came back to Seoul upon hearing the news, calling me an idiot for settling for someone like him.

      On the other hand, I can see that Daesung and Jiyong have started to form an easy relationship. That I could be thankful for, as he manages to stand Jiyong’s various mood swings.

      “Don’t worry over that. It will last.” Jiyong answers just as coldly, making her scoff loudly. I look back at him with a warning glare, but h ignores me and raises his brow at the fuming girl.

      “Whatever. Dara,” she turns to me demandingly. “Class will start in a few minutes, let’s go.”

      “You don’t need to, I’m taking her to class.” Another retort comes from the stubborn man behind me. As per usual, whenever these two meet, a duel of power has to start.

      “Just because you’re her boyfriend, doesn’t mean you can talk to me like that, Kwon.” She snaps at him, her face reddening in anger. She takes a step forward towards him while he stays composed on his spot.

      “I don’t care how much you dislike me, Choi. You and your brother can knock yourselves out, and it still wouldn’t change anything.” He spits out, his eyes narrowed and piercing. I rub my temple and catch eyes with a crestfallen Daesung, mentally begging him to stop this.

      “Jiyong hyung, let’s go. Yongbae Hyung might be looking for you. I think you should go with Hye Yoon, Dara.” Daesung holds the arms of a rather annoyed Jiyong and pulls him away forcibly, leaving me behind with an equally fuming girl.

      Before leaving completely, he looks back at me worriedly. “Talk with her, please. She’s been mad for a long time.” I nod in response and get back to her, her glare not once leaving the retreating back of Jiyong.

      “Unnie-”

      “I honestly don’t see what you like about that sorry excuse of a human being.” She shakes her head and turns around, walking towards our class building. I follow her and bite my lower lip. I don’t want to get into another argument about this with her.

      “I thought you liked him last semester?” I link my arm with hers and pout, “Weren’t you the one who said he’s a prodigy?”

      She scoffs. “Just because he’s a prodigy doesn’t mean he can date you.”

      “I think I see it now. Are you jealous?” I smirk and poke her sides. She turns to me sharply, her eyes narrowing even more.

      “Yes, I am. Are you happy now? Unworthy people always end up getting everything.” She snaps. I giggle as we enter the rehearsal room, the other dancers prepping themselves for the class. Skipping to our corner, I drag her with me and settle down.

      “I’ll always be your best friend, silly. You don’t have to snap at the poor guy every chance you get.” We both stretch our toes before powdering them for the shoes. I can’t help but smile bashfully, this being the first time for me in the class with everyone since the incident last semester.

      “It’s not like he holds back. I know he doesn’t like me either.” She mumbles something else to herself, but I fail to catch it. I shake my head at her silliness. Then I remember what Daesung had said and smile involuntarily. Stooping closer to her, I wiggle my eyebrows.

      “So, what’s going on between you and Daesung?”

      “Nothing.” She stills for a moment, and I see a small blush creeping up her already blushed cheeks. Thinking about it now, the pair of them have been inseparable this past whole year.

      “Come on, you know the man’s smitten about you.” I wink, much to her dislike. “It’s been going on since high school. And he even rejected going to Harvard when he knew you were going to study here.”

      “No one asked him to. Besides, we were all going to study here.” She ties up her shoe and takes off her summer dress to reveal her signature black leotard. I do the same and roll my eyes, a habit I acknowledge rubbed off on me from Jiyong.

      “Not Seunghyun Oppa, that’s for sure. But don’t you see? He stayed here for you, unnie.” I smile wider with every thought. They would look so adorable together – Unnie with her attitude and Daesung with his easy going nature. They would complement the other perfectly.

      She doesn’t get a chance to answer me before a harsh voice interrupts our conversation. “Well, well, well. If it isn’t little Miss Julliard joining us today. What a pleasure seeing you here, on two feet as well.”

      I roll my eyes, again, and unnie smirks. Turning around, I come eye-to-eye with Lee Chaerin, daughter of one of the greatest ballerinas in South Korea. “Sadly, I don’t share the same pleasure. Now can you go? I was in the middle of something.”

      “I see you still haven’t learned to properly address me yet, Park Sandara.” She scowls. “Don’t be too nasty. Who knows, you could slip again like you did the last time.”

      “Chaerin, just go.” Unnie stands up from her position and dusts off her dress disinterestedly. “We’re not in the mood for you, so keep your morning iness to yourself. Would you?”

      “Still being an angel, aren’t you Choi? I don’t know if the fiasco suits you at all though. Embrace your dark side, we have cookies.” She smirks then turns on her heels towards her gawking group of friends, her hips swaying excessively.

      “No, you have paddies all over you Chaerin. Embrace your body, will you? Oh wait, you don’t have one.” I call after her loudly, making the whole dance studio quite down before hollering into uncontrollable laughs. Unnie smirks and a little beat skips in my chest, proud of myself. I did learn from the best after all.

      Chaerin stops dead in her tracks but doesn’t say anything as a dance teacher joins us in our audition rehearsals for the senior year graduation performance. The whole class quiets down and everyone takes position. After two hours of exhausting training and rehearsals, we are dismissed.

      As the both of us leave the dance studio thirty minutes after class, I get a phone call from Jiyong.

      “Santokki, you’re done with class, right?”

      “Yes,” I look sideways at unnie who is busy angrily texting on her phone, a scowl on her face. “But I’m with unnie right now.”

      “That’s even better. Her brother is here and has insisted to join the boys and I to dinner. Please come. I won’t guarantee his face being free

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter