Chapter 1: Another Ball

The Choice We've Made [DISCONTINUED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyun’s POV

“Stop fidgeting.” My fingers stopped moving upon command and I glared at Mark as he wore a sly grin on his face. He couldn’t blame me for being nervous tonight. Tonight was the first event that I would ever attend since my wedding night and also it was filled with all the business investors that I so stubbornly rejected when they wanted to own shares of YGEX.

Don’t get me wrong. I knew what rejecting possible investors would entail. It meant having to stand on your own two feet as a sole CEO and I liked the thought of that. I wanted to make my mark on the industry and I did. Everyone wanted to get closer to me, to possibly learn what I do everyday, how I managed to make YGEX. A mere subsidiary group of my grandfather’s rise into becoming one of the largest branches of YG Enterprises. The investors saw my sheer talent at the craft of business and they were just trying to get a hold of me so that they could control their competition.

YGEX was my baby. My baby. I was reminded again of the amazingly beautiful child that lied in her basinet next to me in the limousine. She was sound asleep and I admired how she drew even breaths every now and then while the vehicle moved along through traffic.

Even if I valued being the CEO of YGEX, my daughter would always come first and if anything would happen to her I’d gladly give up my position just to take care of her. Which is why Mark has been leading company meetings in my stead while I stayed at home taking care of her. I reached up and tucked the small blanket that was wrapped around her to avoid it from falling off of her.

I sighed and bit my lip. This was not just the first night that I would be making a public appearance. But it would also be the first night that I would leave Hani alone for a few hours. Ever since she was born I would never let her out of my sight but tonight had to be the one exemption.

Mark must have noticed my nervous expression, so he took my free hand and squeezed it gently to reassure me that everything was going to be alright.

“Ji. I’m sure that they’ll do a great job of babysitting her for a few hours. And Hani doesn’t cry much for a baby her age. She won’t even bother anyone that much. Stop worrying.” He assured me as we were already approaching the gates of my home. I looked at him then back at her before gulping the saliva that was building in my mouth.

“I don’t know. Why can’t we bring her again?” I asked knowing the answer to my question but still persisted on it anyway. Mark only shook his head at me before peering his head at the window as we were already within the confines of the driveway of my home. I looked out as well and caught sight of my grandfather and brother standing by the main doors with smiles on their faces.

Mark looked back at me then down at Hani who I already carefully cradled in my arms. She was still fast asleep and nestled herself closer to my chest. He leaned down and planted a kiss on her head before looking at me straight in the eye.

“Because Lu Han will be there tonight.” He said with finality and opened the car door to greet Abeoji and Oppa before I would. I sighed and looked down at my daughter who was already stirring in her sleep. I rocked her a bit as I scooted my way out of the car as well. Immediately greeted by a loud Ji Yong.

“Ji Hyun!! A year has been too long! How are you? And Hani? How is she?” He questioned and I shot him a glare as he approached. His voice was too loud and Hani was already moving too much in my arms. She clearly did not enjoy the noise that was recurring around her.

I noticed as he gulped but still made his way over to me to plant a kiss on my cheek and to kiss the top of Hani’s head. That did it though. Hani finally opened her eyes and she was looking around before her eyes rested when she saw that I was the one holding her. She started blowing bubbled out of to reach out and touch my face. I sighed and glared at Ji Yong Oppa.

“Now look at what you did Oppa. She’s awake. How am I supposed to go to the ball?” I complained and continued my walk up the stairs to greet my Abeoji and kiss him on the cheek. He chuckled and patted me on the head before musing over the child that was in my arms.

My daughter was the gem of the family nowadays and everyone wanted to get a glimpse of her. In the three months that she was born everyone would find an excuse to go to Japan just to spend a day with her. Even if it meant a day of her wailing at the top of her lungs with all the unfamiliar faces in the room.

Hani hated being surrounded by people she didn’t know and would always cry when she found herself in the arms of anyone who wasn’t Mark or me, other than that she would remain quiet in her crib and sleep.

Abeoji was already guiding me into the living room while Oppa and Mark trailed behind. He had a dejected expression after I reprimanded him about waking Hani. Thankfully she must have gotten used to Abeoji and Ji Yong’s face because she wasn’t crying right now but was looking around at the place. Probably wondering where we were right now.

I took a seat next to Abeoji on the sofa and settled Hani in my arms more comfortably so that she wouldn’t feel too stuffy while I spoke with them.

“It’s good to finally have you back Ji Hyun. And you lost all that baby weight surprisingly fast.” My Abeoji stared and I smiled still keeping my attention on Hani who was staring intently at my in my arms. I sighed and knew that she usually looked at me this way when she was hungry.

I looked at Mark who was following behind and gave him a meaningful look and he only nodded in response getting a bottle that was prepped with water from the pink baby bag that we carried with us and started mixing her formula in. I looked back at my Abeoji who was only nodding in approval at how synchronized Mark and I were together.

“And to see that you and Mark have a good system going on for your daughter.” He smiled and I nodded at him feeling the guilt build up in my stomach. Everyone was still under the impression that Hani was my daughter with Mark.

“Neh Abeoji. Hani isn’t really a handful though. So Mark and I have only her to thank for being a well-behaved baby.” I replied and he smiled before looking back at me and Mark who already handed me her bottle. I was just about to feed her when Abeoji reached out his arms towards me.

“May I?” He asked and I felt myself freeze. No one else has been able to carry her aside from Mark and I and I sent my grandfather a look before biting my lip. I was considering it when Mark placed his hand on my lap to squeeze it reassuringly. I stared at him then at my Abeoji who was looking expectedly at me. I let out a breath and nodded my head giving in.

I gave her to him and he smiled at me before cradling Hani securely in his arms. She squirmed a bit and looked at me back to my Abeoji and was about to cry as we gently fed her her bottle. That kept her sane for some time, while she would rest in my Abeoji’s arms.

I looked up at the two men in front of me and crossed my arms.

“Okay. Stop prete

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter