An unforgettable surprise

The Little Things

Taehyun thinks that he might just be getting extremely paranoid in recent weeks. He just could not help it because a lot has been going on lately especially with the work front of things. Sandara, Bom, Seungyoon and him finally decided to open a music school together and the past months had been a mixture of viewing various spaces where they could set up the school to analyzing their curriculum and also getting approval from the relevant ministries.

Just as work was starting to pick up and he could finally see into the distant future then his personal life start to take a downward slide. He might be exaggerating on the downward slide but the more he looked at it the more it seemed to be an apt word to describe the state of his relationship.

Taehyun could not help but to wonder where did he and Mino went wrong. Things were fine a few months ago.  They had a short getaway to Jeju just about approximately two months back and they enjoyed themselves. It was a relaxing with sightseeing and spending time with each other. He felt that they reconnected again.

Mino just started working as a junior production team in one of the lesser known agency and had been learning the ropes. Needless to say, there were definitely crazy late night coupled with entertaining clients that made them barely even any time for each other so the trip came at a right time where Mino just needed a break.

Things sort of revert back to the state before almost as soon as the couple got back and came back to their respective real lives. However, for the past month, Mino had been acting strange. He knew his boyfriend was bad at lying but he was definitely not telling him what was up either.

Song Minho had been very mysterious and secretive lately and Nam Taehyun hated it immensely.

As the days dragged on, Taehyun’s thoughts took a turn for the drastic. He has tried leading questions to light probing, Mino had never been so tight lipped.

~~~~~~~~~~

“He is keeping something from me and I don’t know what is it. He would not tell me anything… nothing zilch...” Taehyun whined in exasperation at his best friends during lunch after one of their many viewings for a potential location.

“Have you tried talking to him about it, Taehyunie?” Bom asked as she patted her friend’s shoulders soothingly.

“Believe me, I have tried everything. Nothing worked. He was never like this in all the years that I know him. Ever…” Taehyun muttered sadly as he pushed his pasta around his plate.

“It might not be a bad thing. He might just wanting to wait for a good time to tell you.” Seungyoon suggested ignoring the knowing glares from the two girls who just mouth “you are going to spoil it!” over the sad guy’s head.

“Yes, he is just waiting for the right time to tell me that he does not love me anymore and wants to be a free man again.” Taehyun muttered bitterly.

“You are starting to sound bitter, Taehyun-ah. It is unbecoming. Besides, Mino would never break up with you. That idiot loves you like crazy, dummy.” Dara chided gently.   

“Then why isn’t he telling me anything?”

His friends could not help but to groan as they continued to hear him whine about it for the remainder of their lunch.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Did he suspect anything?” Mino asked the person over on the other end of the line.

“Nope… He thinks something is wrong and you might be thinking of wanting out.” Bom replied.

Mino could not help but to laugh at Taehyun’s silliness and pessimism.

“Why is his thought always something bad?”

“It is Nam Taehyun. What do you expect?” Bom laughed along with him.

“Everything is going as planned then. I cannot wait for him to find out my surprise.”

“Great. All the best, Mino-ah. I am sure he is going to like it and I cannot wait to see his expression when he finally knows the reason for all your hiding.”

“I cannot wait for him to see it too.” Mino answered happily.

~~~~~~~~~~ 

Taehyun’s thoughts went from suspicions to utter sadness as despair. He seriously thinks that Mino was having an affair and it was with a lady by the name of Eunji. He did not mean to stoop to such a low level but he could not help it. The chance presented itself for him to find out when Mino’s phone beeped with an incoming message during one of those times that he was home early.

“Hey it is Eunji here… It arrived and it exactly what you envisioned it to be and better... See you soon!”

Who on earth was this Eunji girl?

What had arrived?

Envisioned? What did he envision?

The more Taehyun thought about it, the more the younger guy was convinced that Mino was looking to end the relationship and Taehyun was nothing more than a phase in his life. An experiment if Taehyun wanted to be cold and analytical about it.

The thought made him want to curl up in some dark little corner and cry. He thought they were in love but in the end, it was nothing. He meant nothing to Song Minho.

His heart filled with sadness at the thought of living without Mino by his side…

~~~~~~~~~~

 “Taehyun-ah… Keep this Friday free for me please?” Mino asked as he climbed into bed beside him.

Oh god, he is definitely going to break up with me… Why wait until Friday when he can do it now?

“Friday?”

“Yes, this Friday. I think we should have a talk.” Mino answered before giving Taehyun a kiss on the cheek before turning over to switch off the lights as they got ready for bed.

Taehyun wished Mino was more cut throat and cold instead of being all nice and sweet about the whole situation…

~~~~~~~~~~

“It is official guys… Mino is going to break up with me…”

“Are you sure? How did you even come to that conclusion?” Boom asked sounding concerned.

Taehyun relayed the whole incident with the text and the talk that Mio wanted to have with him on Friday.

“You might be wrong maybe it is not what you think it is?”

“There is a girl texting him. I think that is a very good indicator enough. Thank you very much.”

“You might still be wrong Taehyun-ah.” Dara commented as she sipped her coffee.

If Taehyun was not focused on his own despair, he might have noticed  the little hints that his friends were giving.

~~~~~~~~~~

“He is like utterly convinced that you really do not love him anymore.” Seungyoon commented as they met up.

“Really? Aish, that pessimistic guy.” Mino muttered as he shook his head unable to believe that Taehyun would have such thoughts about them.

“You can’t really blame him. Anyone would have such thoughts.” Seungyoon rolled his eyes.

“So have you went to collect the item yet? I want to seee! I want to see!” Bom asked excitedly.

Mino obliged and immediately the murmuring of approval came from all of them.

“He is so going to love it when he sees this. Maknae is so lucky!!” Dara sighed.

“Are you prepared for this Friday?” Seungyoon asked.

“Yes I have been waiting for this moment for a long time now. I am ready and it is going to be perfect.” Mino answered feeling more determined.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was the dreaded Friday and Taehyun wished that time did not have to pass so quickly that it was almost time for him to meet his soon to be e-boyfriend. His so called best friend, Seungyoon all but pushed him out of the car when he dropped him off as Mino’s workplace.

He was so dreading the little meet up that Taehyun did not even notice the knowing looks that Seungyoon exchanged with the girls.

Taehyun all but dragged his feet as he neared Mino’s studio and could not help but to lean against the door jam as he watched Mino working in concentration with his headphones plugged in.

He could feel his mouth tugging into a soft smile as he watched on. A hardworking Mino was one side of him that Taehyun could never take his eyes away from. There was nothing happier that watching the guy he loves more than anything in this world doing what he enjoyed the most.

“Oh Taehyun-ah, you are here. Sorry, I did not realize that you were already here.” Mino looked up from the computer to finally acknowledge the younger guy’s presence. 

“It is okay. I did not want to disrupt you from your work.”

“It is done. I have just finished it. Let me pass this to the arranger and then we can talk. Just make yourself comfortable. ” Mino smiled before leaving the room with the compact disc in his hand.

The room was definitely Mino’s little world as Taehyun looked at the shelves containing Mino’s favorite artists and the figurines that he enjoyed collecting in his free time. Taehyun could see why he could be holed up here in the studio for hours and hours. It was definitely his creative space.

Taehyun was sad that Mino would not be sharing the things he love with him anymore.

“Taehyun-ah” Mino soft voice floated in the room.

“Hmm?” Taehyun turned around trying his hardest not to be sad as he saw Mino’s unreadable face.

“Take a seat.”

Taehyun sat on the couch and looked at Mino who was sitting beside him, his heart beating a mile a minute.

Each second that dragged on felt like minutes, hours even. Unable to deal with the tension, Taehyun covered his face with his hands.

“Oh god just do it. just tell me you want tot end this. I can handle it.” Taehyun mumbled.

“Huh? End what?” Mino asked yet finding Taehyun so cute how he got the whole idea totally wrong.

“You don’t love me no more. Stop trying to prolong each of our misery. It is no use. The inevitable end is here.” Taehyun muttered bitterly.

“Yah Nam pabo, just what kind of thoughts have you been having lately? Why would I even think of breaking up with you. I love you so much, silly.” Mino reach over to tug Taehyun’s hands down so that he could take a proper look at his face before giving him a tight hug.

“B-But you have been coming home late, we hardly talk and there was this Eunji…” Taehyun mumbled as he buried his face into the crook of Mino’s neck.

“Ahh… you found out about Eunji.”

“Who is she? What item was she referring to? Is she your new girlfriend?”

“Yah! She is definitely not my girlfriend. She was helping me with this.” Mino broke apart the hug before reaching into his pocket to pull out a box and placing it in the palm of Taehyun’s hand.

Taehyun only stared at the velvet box dumbly as his brain fought its way through the cloud of doubts to form only one conclusion.

“What is this? You mean? Really?”

“Open it and see for yourself Taehyun-ah.” Mino nodded happily as he gestured for Taehyun to open the box.

Taking a deep breath, Taehyun carefully lifted the box open. Inside nestled in the centre of the velvet padding, was a simple men’s ring with diamonds all around it.

“Is this?” Taehyun asked when he managed to finally form a coherent word but when he looked up Mino was already down on one knee in front of him.

“Nam Taehyun, you are the one I love most and would not want to spend another day without so would you do the honor and marry me?” Mino asked lovingly as he took Taehyun’s hand in his.

Taehyun did not even need another moment of hesitation and agreed immediately. Mino let out happy laugh before putting the ring on Taehyun’s finger then bringing the younger guy close to kiss him deeply.

He then opened the door and Taehyun could see the people he loves outside the door. His parents, his best friends and Mino’s family were gathered.

“I did it guys! We are engaged.” Mino happily announced to the group.

 Rounds of congratulations, hugs and kisses followed. Taehyun tried not to murder his best friends as they told him that they knew about the surprise and could not help but want tot laugh each time Taehyun lamented to them.

“I am so happy for you maknae. You are so lucky.” Bom commented happily as the group gathered for a hug.

Taehyun could not agree more. He could not help but to look forward to a brighter future especially with Mino by his side to share it all with him.

Nam Taehyun could not wait to get started…

~~~~~~~~~~

Hihi back with a drabble... Hope you like this! it is not quite edited yet.... I will tidy up later! As usual, no silent readers please... I want to know what you think! :)