Parenting 101

The Little Things

Every parent had to go through it at least once and more often than not it was never an easy thing to do. That was sending your child off in their first day of school. For Nam Taehyun and Song Minho, the process does not get any easier.  In fact, he was very against the idea when Taehyun suggested the it.

“No! She is only 4 years old, Tae… I thought kindergarten was at 5 years old? We are 1 year ahead of the usual schedule.” Mino was looking incredulously at a very calm looking Taehyun who was sitting on the dining table with various brochures on preschools with early childhood program.

“There is no harm in getting an early head start for Euna. Besides, she could use to chance to make more new friends.”

“I never thought we will be joining the likes of those crazy parents who send their kids to enrichment or tuition classes at 3. It seems like we are almost as crazy as those.” Mino muttered as he sat beside Taehyun.

Picking up one of the many brochures, Mino barely skimmed through the first page before he threw it back down in disgust.

“They are not crazy at all. It is more like a daycare than school. They don't just focus on studying. Like this one, they have art and craft, gardening and excursions to parks and stuff. It is not that bad. I really like this.”

Taehyun showed Mino the brochure he was holding but was faced with a stubborn guy who refused to look at his direction.

“She is still a baby girl. There is still time. Plus, she has friends from her classes in your school.”

“No harm with knowing more friends, hyung.”

“My answer is still no. She has Minhyun to keep her company. She is not that lonely.” Mino answered stubbornly.

“Hyung, you do realize that it will come to a point where she will be getting married right?” Taehyun commented as he thinks there was more to it than Mino was willing to let on. Taehyun totally understood but could not help but to be amused by it.

“Over my dead body. Euna is forever my baby girl. The guy will have to go through me.” Mino stated firmly, crossing his arms over his chest as though to prove how serious he was about it.

“Aigoo, Euna’s appa.” Taehyun could not help but to tease at he looked at his husband’s childishly dark expression.

They did not discuss about that particular subject anymore for the remainder of the week and Mino thought he actually won that particular round. However, being Nam Taehyun, he definitely had something planned up that sleeve of his.

Much to his reluctance and dismay, Taehyun managed to cage Mino into accompanying him to visit the program coordinator of the preschool for a short tour. However, if Mino was going to be honest, he actually liked the place and could imagine how Euna was going to enjoy herself but he needed to have principles.

“I cannot believe you tricked me into coming with you for the short tour.” Mino grumbled as he drove Taehyun back to the music school.  

“I thought you liked the place. I could tell that you did.” Taehyun tried to feign innocence but broke into laughter when Mino merely raised an eyebrow at him.

“You mean you did not?”

“She is still young. I think there is no point rushing into it. in fact, we can just send her to school once it is needed. She has got a good head start already in my opinion.”

“I just think it will do her socially good if she was in an environment where everyone is the same ages as her. it will help to better her interactions with people. She should experience new things more.”

Mino kept silent while focused on the road leading to the music school. In his mind, he knew that Taehyun’s reasoning and points made sense. It was just he was not ready to let his girl go so soon. Taehyun must have known he was stewing the whole idea in his mind because he wisely kept silent throughout the rest of the journey back.

“Just give it time to sink in. Think about it.” Taehyun advised before giving Mino a kiss on the lips before heading back to the music school.

As much as Mino hated to admit, Taehyun was as usual hundred percent right and there was no reason not to let her go. The program was well designed and wholistic. There was really nothing much Mino could nitpick. In the end, logical thinking and reasoning won, they have agreed to enroll Euna into the preschool program once the term starts.

Taehyun happily brought Euna along with him when he went to collect the uniforms that she will be wearing on the first day. At the same time, he used to opportunity to show her the school premises which she surprisingly like and loved very much within the short time they were there so that was a plus too.

This should be quite easy and rather painless or so it seemed...

~~~~~~~~~~

It was definitely a milestone for the family to commemorate. Mino and Taehyun made sure they had nothing on for that particular day so that they were present to accompany Euna to school. Euna was taking the idea pretty well and kept reassuring her brother that she will be home to play with him again once he woke up from his afternoon nap so all was going to be well, making the both fathers smile and pretty relieved.

Mino had pretty much warmed up to the idea of the eldest finally going for preschool and was going around taking photos. His mood was pretty good and was really excited to see their girl off to preschool. On the other hand, Taehyun was beginning to dread the time it was due for Euna to leave for school. This was turning out to be much harder for him as the time drew closer. Suddenly, he felt that his girl was growing up too fast for his liking.

They reached the school gates with twenty minutes left to spare. Taehyun felt as though someone was cutting away his air supply. This was definitely so much harder.

“Tae, you can still change your mind about this you know.” Mino commented as he took the younger’s cold and clammy hands once he saw how Taehyun suddenly looked really pale.

“It is okay, I am fine. It is a necessary step. Parenting 101...” Taehyun muttered shakily.

Taking a deep breath, Taehyun got out of the car with Mino following behind as they made their way to the assemble point.

Euna was suddenly hesitant. She did not remember seeing so many children the last time she was here in the school. As she entered, she could see children crying in their parents arms like crazy crying. Suddenly, she found herself starting to tear up and she does not like the idea of school anymore. She just wanted to go home and play with her brother or attend her drumming lessons at Taehyun appa's school and spending time with her Imo and Samchons.

“Euna-ah, don’t worry. Just go have fun. You make a new friends later. We will be here to pick you up okay?” Mino sensed that their girl was hesitating and quickly bend down to reassure her before her water works start.

“Hey, I am Lee Jongin. We are in the same class. Let’s go together.” A boy suddenly turned to Euna while pointing to her name tag.

Euna turned to look at her parents who only smiled encouragingly, urging her to follow.

“De, let’s go together. I am Song Euna.” She smiled at the boy. Together, they hold hands and walked towards their classroom when she turned back to look for her parents, they were no longer stading at the spot that they were at previously. Panic started to build up again until the hand she was holding gently tugged hers.

“Don’t just stand there. We are going to be late, Euna-ssi.”

Nodding, she turned to give her new friend a smile and followed on.

~~~~~~~~~~

“See, now you finally understood how I felt. This was why I was not agreeable to the idea. This horrible feeling.” Mino commented as he got into the car only to see a tearing Taehyun. He knew Taehyun well enough that the younger guy was pretty much putting up a calm and brave front for their daughter and he had to commend him for maintaining that image right until the very last second.

“I did not know it was going to be this hard. I wanted to just to carry her back to the car and forget this whole thing even happened.” Taehyun mumbled as Mino reached over to wipe a few of his tears that spilled over before gathering Taehyun in his arms.

“Well, I think we have done a pretty good job. This is an achievement unlocked and we have leveled up as our job as parents so that is good.” Mino commented before leaning over to kiss Taehyun on the lips.

“Song Minho, this is not a game where you collect experience or manna to level up. It is real life, you goof.”

“Fine. Since you have put it that way, Minhyun’s turn will be in two years time. I want to see what your expression will be like then.” Mino teased earning a loud smack on the arm by the younger guy. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Hihi, back again another drabble... Don't worry, I will get back to seven days after this... no silent readers please... let me know what you think if it is good or bad...