1 - Reason

A Spectrum in Monochrome
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

◄ One || a reason for existing

 

 

Existing. That has how Baekhyun been living his life for the past years – simply existing. There was no meaning, no excitement, nothing grand ever happened. There may be some occasional drama, but the reason why there probably is, is because he stopped caring and it affected the people around him. Other than that, everything had been rather.. monochrome.

 

There was no color, no spectrum in his meaningless life. How ironic of it too, for he was an artist who dealt with colors on a daily basis, studies it four to five times a week as a major he is taking in university. And while ‘simply existing’ had its advantages, of being detached to things that will probably cause him pain, he also has to deal with the feeling of void that has hit him now more than ever.

 

Baekhyun is an artist living his life in monochrome colors.

 

 

 

 

♣♣♣

 

 

 

 

It was a peaceful cloudy day, as opposed to the muddled mind Baekhyun had. Frustrated for the last few days for he was at a loss on the subject he is expected to pitch in for his individual part of his major’s exhibit event. And the park just a few blocks his home was the perfect destination of a momentary escape, choosing to wander alone with no purpose or goal.

 

With a heavy intake of air, Baekhyun breathes in the fresh scent of nature as he walked through the park’s path and calming his cluttered mind. He watches with a fond smile the children playing about, scattered across the vast green grass of the field. He watches a group of friends having a picnic, their laughter ringing in the air alongside the children’s screams of joy and play. And he watches, with a rise of envy, all the couples he passes by that seemed to be blanketed by a pink-like aura.

 

All these people seem to live in color, unlike his boring gray one.

 

 

 

Just in front of a large oak tree, with its leaves and branches shading it from the sunlight, Baekhyun sits down on one end of the bench.

 

All was quiet and Baekhyun enjoyed it; the peacefulness of his surroundings settling his mood in that calm state. But it was soon disrupted by a squeak-like barking of a small pooch, forcefully pulling on its leash away from its owner ready to attack the person nearby as they walk passed.

 

Apparently, to Baekhyun’s amusement, the little pooch was taunting the other dog that was twice his size that simply lay idle on the ground unfazed. Its master merely nodding and sending a smile to the owner of the barking pooch who had longed passed them. But Baekhyun noticed something off, for the man’s smile was unfocused and to a person who did not even spare him a second’s glance. It raised some confusion, more so with the pitch black glasses the man wore; quite an odd sight to see in this cloudy, dimly lit afternoon weather.

 

Brushing it off as nothing but a weird sense of style, Baekhyun went back to watching his surroundings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

♣♣♣

 

 

 

 

Love. Is it not the perfect subject to use? Depicting love in what he believes it means based on his own personal experiences; his own personal point of view of the broad overused subject. But then again…

 

When was the last time Baekhyun fell in love. When was the last time Baekhyun felt his heart flip and stomach do summersaults when he sees the mere distant figure of a person he likes. When was the last time Baekhyun felt his insides flutter from hearing the person’s voice alone. Honestly, it was perhaps the time he met his first crush back in elementary, too long ago he had already forgotten. As experienced Baekhyun is in relationships, he still has yet to feel those fireworks movies like to depict a true loves kiss.

 

Baekhyun has yet to fall in love.

 

 

 

 

♣♣♣

 

 

 

 

Everything was a blur in the rain. The streets were covered with puddles and there was a sea of gloomy colored umbrellas. Taking the shortest way to his house, Baekhyun cursed as he walked hurriedly across the open park for he had forgotten to bring his umbrella.

 

 

"Ah--!"

 

The sound of two colliding people mixed in with the pattering rain. Not a moment later, an angry voice and loud barking bellowed across the park.

 

"Watch where you're going!"

 

 

Abruptly stopping and turning to where the voice came from, Baekhyun is met by a man almost lying on the ground. The fallen man’s dog had stopped barking to only

Please log in to read the full chapter