Misconception

Playboy

“I can’t do this.” My voice was hardly audible, but Chen heard me. He smiled at me, but not out of happiness. It appeared as if he saw it coming, and had accepted this outcome long ago.

 

“You’re falling in love with him, aren’t you?” I nodded my head before I even knew what I was doing. But if anything that was just even more proof. Chen’s been the nice one, looking out for me and giving me what I wanted. The type who I would end up spending the rest of my life with if we met back home. But I’m not in my hometown anymore. I’m in Seoul, the most metropolitan, bold and bright city in the world. And Sehun is a Seoulite if ever I saw one. “I’ll go now I’m sorry for coming in and doing all of this without your personal invitation.” All of a sudden I felt a pang of guilt as he turned away and began to blow out the candles. I wasn’t expecting him to go so suddenly. What were you expecting? For him to go down on his knees and beg for you to give him a chance?

 

“Don’t say you’re leaving right now, are you?” Chen sadly nodded as I stood there watching each flame go out and his happiness go with it.

 

“I really should I don’t want to impose on you any longer.” This was really killing him. I knew he had feelings for me but I didn’t realise how deep. But I had to stick to my decision. That’s what he would want too.

 

“It’s late at night why don’t you just stay over? You can sleep here and I’ll go sleep in my flatmate’s room she won’t mind.” My last ditch attempts at trying to make up for rejecting him were in vain. He just started to gather his things and make his way towards the door.

 

“If I sleep here, I would not be able to stay in my own bed.” His voice was low and husky as he said this, adjusting my top so that it was all smoothed out. Looking up into his eyes I saw a different side of him. A side I didn’t think he had. “Besides, if I walk out of your apartment tomorrow morning the press will find out and then we have another scandal on our hands and I can’t do that to you.” I knew he was right. I knew what he said made sense. I just didn’t want to agree with it.

 

“Don’t be hurt. Please. I’m mad for picking Sehun over you I’m just-”

 

“Madly in love?” he finished looking very defeated. There was nothing I could do. Everything that I was saying was just making it all worse. “Just make sure that Sehun doesn’t hurt you. Your tears should only be reserved for happy moments.” With that he kissed me on the cheek and made his way out, leaving me too stunned to say anything.

 

I lay down in bed, still in Soobin’s clothes and with my makeup still on. I just didn’t have the energy to deal with anything tonight. I looked up at the ceiling and immersed myself in my thoughts. Chen was gone, he backed off for good and in effect I had declared my love for Sehun as well. Sehun. Just saying his name in my head brought a smile to my face. Yes, he’s right for me. Sure he’s not as easy to be with as Chen, but there’s more to him than I first thought. His playboy attitude is merely a facade I realise that now. I think I like the real him, at least what he’s shown me so far. Just don’t do anything stupid. And definitely don’t tell him about Chen coming over tonight.

 

Sehun’s POV

 

I couldn’t sleep a wink. Thoughts of Min would not stop circulating in my mind but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I didn’t want to think of anyone or anything else but her. The way she kissed me made me forget everything else. I’ve kissed lots of people so she was far from my first, yet she made me feel like I had never experienced a proper kiss until then. Her lips were soft, sweet but tender. When she closed her eyes I felt like I was seeing her true beauty for the first time. How blind I was before.

 

Thinking that a drink of water might get me to sleep, I got out of bed and made my way to the kitchen. As I did so, I heard someone trying to type in the code to our dorm and I got incredibly nervous. Who could that be? A sasaeng? A burglar? The door started to open and in panic I grabbed a wok. The person who came through held up their hands and started laughing.

 

“Sehun relax it’s only me what are you doing up this early?” I put the wok down and sighed in relief. But Chen wasn’t out of the woods yet. He still had some explaining to do.

 

“I could ask you the same question. What were you doing out so late?” He rubbed his eyes and looked down at the ground which worried me. No matter what I think of Chen right now, one thing that he definitely isn’t is a liar. So the fact that he was saying nothing meant that he couldn’t bring himself to tell the truth. “Come on Chen I know something’s up.”

 

“I was at Min’s.” Those were the last 4 words that I wanted to hear. Don’t jump to conclusions I reminded myself. I looked at the clock in the corner of the room. It was almost one in the morning. When I came back from my date with Min, it was about 8 o'clock in the evening. What else could he have been doing there for so long?

 

“I can’t believe you, Kim ing Jongdae. Can’t believe you of all people would take that away from me.”

 

“Take what away? Oh god you don’t think-”

 

“That’s exactly what I think. But you know what? You’re welcome to her. After all I did for her on our day out and she still thinks of you? No girl is worth that hassle.” That was all I had to say. Despite Chen trying to say something in his defence, I just went straight to my room and didn’t look back or listen to one more word. There was no point in listening to Chen anymore. There was nothing he could say that would suddenly alter my view. Just because he’s not a liar doesn’t mean he isn’t clever with the truth.

 

Min’s POV

 

Instead of Soobin waking me up in the morning, it was my alarm which was a welcome change. Mainly because it meant that she wasn’t back yet from wherever she spent the night so the inevitable interrogation session could wait for another day.

 

I felt I had a renewed purpose and energy as I cooked my breakfast, glad that I wasn’t some girl in a drama who spent the whole series struggling to decide which guy was the best for her. I had made up my mind now and it still wasn’t faltering. Sehun was the one. Chen was good, angelic even, but that was also his fatal flaw. He was too good for me. I’m not exactly perfect, nor will I be in future and I simply can’t be with a man who is never anything else but sweet, charming and gentlemanly. I’ll just constantly feel like I’m not good enough for him. But if I date Sehun, it’ll be a relationship of equals.

 

Being driven to work every day did have its bonuses. One being that I could actually make an effort with my hair, clothes and makeup instead of just doing a rushed 15 minute job like I usually do. The second is that I didn’t have to worry about my hair getting ruined by the wind or public transport or anything like that. For once in my life, I felt like a proper professional woman. And I loved it.

 

Once the car drove up to the SM building, I waved goodbye to my driver and made my way inside. I bowed to the secretary who then gave me all the documents left for me in my personal intray. Upon reading through them, I realised that the monthly catch up meeting with the EXO personal assistants was scheduled for today and was actually in 10 minutes time, so I made my way over immediately, not wanting to be late.

 

The whole way through the meeting, my mind was on other things. Mainly Oh Sehun. I was disappointed I hadn’t seen him yet, though I knew it was probably for a good reason. Since he was out all day with me yesterday, he probably had some catching up to do in the dance studio or something. My thoughts wandered over to imaginings of him dancing solo for me, impressing me with his skills and his y body. Preferably with no shirt on.

 

The meeting was adjourned without me having any idea what happened in it, but I knew that Nari would be kind enough to fill me in over lunch or tea or something. Now it was more important to find Sehun so that I can inform him of today’s itinerary. Which consists of finding a quiet corner where no one goes and making out with him until both our lips are sore.

 

I’d been walking around the SM building for about 15 minutes now and there was no sign of him, or the other members for that matter. Perhaps they had all gone out somewhere? I mentally kicked myself for not paying attention in the meeting earlier. My last resort was the dance studio so I crossed over to the training building and looked through the windows of every dance studio they had. I did finally find him in the end, but because of my rotten luck he was in the very last studio I looked in.

 

Not wanting to make myself known just yet I sat in the hallway, waiting for his one-on-one session with the instructor to finish. The song he was dancing to was unfamiliar to me, but it still sounded like an EXO track. Maybe he’s learning choreography for a future comeback song? Just listening to the music, sitting in the hallway of the SM building, watching Sehun dance his heart out from the corner of my eye made me realise just how lucky I am.

 

Clapping sounds erupted from the dance studio which was a signal for me to get up again. I quickly smoothed myself out just in time for the door to open but instead of seeing Sehun like I thought, it was the dance instructor instead. He smiled at me, somehow recognising who I was which was a bit unnerving given I’m just a lowly personal assistants who has only been around for a few months.

 

“Choi Min right? Sehun’s girl?” I didn’t respond at first but when I processed what he said I nodded my head slowly. It felt really weird to be referred to as ‘Sehun’s girl’ but I suppose that’s what I am. He smiled at me and gave me a cheeky wink which made me blush, but I didn’t think anything of it. He seemed like the type of person to do that to any girl. “You can go in Sehun’s just taking a breather.” I bowed to him politely and shuffled into the studio, letting the door close behind me.

 

Sehun was lying on the floor with his eyes closed but I couldn’t tell if he was asleep or not. The sight reminded me of that time all those months ago when I’d only been on the job for a few days. He used some playboy line on me and I made a sassy remark in return. But now I didn’t feel like being sarcastic. Now that I know who he really is beneath the mask.

 

His lips were so plump, so pink that I couldn’t stop staring at them. I looked around to check if there was anyone there, but thankfully there wasn’t. I took a deep breath and got down on my knees as quietly as possible and then when I felt the moment was right, I captured his lips with my own.

 

, he started kissing me back and pulling me in closer to him. His eyes were still closed as he started running his fingers through my hair with one hand, the other hand travelling down my body. Soon I was lying on top of him, his getting noticeably harder against me. While he looked half asleep, he was awakening the woman in me. I felt my cheeks flushing, blood flowing fast all over my body as I slowly relinquished control. I needed him and I needed him now.

 

When I looked at him again I saw that his eyes had opened and he had a y smirk on his face. I moved up to meet his intense gaze and then began leaving lingering kisses along his razor sharp jaw line.

 

“Hmmm Min is that really you?” he mumbles which makes me giggle. He really did fall asleep then. I looked directly at him, smiling brightly as I answered him.

 

“Of course it’s me. Wasn’t last night dreamy” I ask him teasingly. To my surprise, he doesn’t smirk back or wink at me like I expected him to. Instead the glint in his eyes seemed to fade away and he stopped moving his hands all over my body.

 

“Tell that to Chen, not me,” he said nonchalantly, as if what he was saying didn’t matter. I looked at him confused and lost, unable to process his words.

 

“Why would you say that?” I tried to look him directly in the eyes but he just turned away.

 

“It’s true isn’t it? You only want to kiss me but with Chen you’re more than happy to spend hours in bed his name.” I could feel tears welling up in my eyes but they weren’t of sadness, I was angry that he was saying all of this about me, right to my face. Who did he think he is?

 

“Why are you saying this to me? What have I done to you that makes you think you can sprout lies to my face?” He smirked at my questions which made me feel uneasy. What had gotten into him?

 

“Lies, is that what you call things you don’t want to hear? Or are you actually going to pretend that Chen didn’t come over to your place late last night?” My face fell and I looked down at the ground. How did he know? Did Chen tell him?

 

“Chen did come over yes-”

 

“Well there we are then. You try explaining your way out of that it’s not like I’ll believe you.” My blood was boiling as he looked at me, his hardened mask back on again. I clenched my fists and fought back the tears which were b in my eyes.

 

“If you’re going to act like this then I’m just going to go. I shouldn’t have to explain myself to anyone but least of all to you, someone I thought had feelings for me.” He closed his eyes again and chuckled under his breath. I felt like punching him right in the face with how cocky he was being. Who the hell does he think he is? King Oh Sehun of Seoul?

 

“Forgive me if I find it hard to love someone who s another guy the day I take her out on my first ever date.” That’s it. I’d had it. I didn’t want to see his face anymore and I knew there was nothing I could say which would make him see the truth.

 

Without even bowing I stormed out of the dance studio feeling highly embarrassed and disgusted. I was beginning to regret choosing Sehun over Chen now. Chen would never, ever talk to me in this way. Make assumptions about me and act so closed minded that he’d file anything I say under ‘lies’. I just needed some fresh air and a moment to breathe. I needed to forget who I work for.

 

As I was walking out of the reception I heard some noise in the background. Curious to know what it was I looked up to see someone from my past calling my name and I instantly felt uplifted. I ran into his arms and gave him a hug, feeling at peace in his familiar embrace.

 

“Hey Munmun bet you weren’t expecting to see me here were you?” he said in his usual booming voice which made me giggle. He honestly couldn’t have turned up at a better time.

 

“Hoon!! How do you know I work here? When did you get here?” He laughed as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, just like he used to back when we used to live in the same village.

 

“Calm down you always get so excited so easily. I just touched down in the airport around an hour ago and thought I’d come and stop by and take you out for lunch. And I’d have to live under a rock to not know where you work. Your face has been on every news outlet in Korea lately.” I blushed at his comment, realising that he was right. I never bother reading the news anymore. I don’t feel like I need to now that I live in the capital.

 

“Living in Damyang was basically like living under a rock,” I joked and we both laughed together. From the corner of my eye I saw lots of SM employees looking at us and staring or gossiping quietly amongst themselves. I would’ve rolled my eyes or made some sarcastic comment if my childhood friend wasn’t standing before me. I sighed as I looked at his dopey yet handsome face. “But sadly I won’t be able to go out for lunch with you it’s too risky what with the paparazzi lurking on every corner. Where are you staying?”

 

“I haven’t exactly made accommodation plans. Yesterday spring term ended at university and I just thought it would be fun to spend spring break in Seoul with you.” He looked at me sheepishly as he scratched the back of his neck and I sighed at him, crossing my arms over my chest. He really hadn’t changed since the last time I saw him.

 

“You can stay over in my flat as long as you don’t mind sleeping on the couch.” His eyes lit up as I told him the news and he hugged me again.

 

“Thanks Munmun I knew you’d think of something. Should I come back here when you’re done with work so we can go over together?” I wanted to say yes but something was stopping me from doing so. I realised that I should probably check with the senior SM staff first because the last thing I needed was another scandal.

 

“Come with me I just want to talk it through with some SM executives to check it’s okay.” I turned to one of the receptionists who was always sweet to me and asked her if she could book a meeting and luckily everyone I needed to see were currently having a month end meeting which meant I could go and talk to them about my situation once they were done.

 

Taking Hoon by the hand I lead him down the maze of corridors because if I didn’t I know he’d wander off and get lost somehow. I could hear all the gossiping whispers around me as I made my way through the crowds of workers who had watched the reunion of me and my childhood friend, my first love. I didn’t give a damn what they had to say though so I didn’t even pay attention to their words. I knew they wouldn’t tell the press because they’d be fired the moment the company found out.

 

Running around with him like this made me happy again and all my negative feelings from before seemed to fade away. Instead of stark white corridors, I imagined we were dashing through the bamboo forests from back home. I felt on top of the world. Until I saw Oh Sehun standing by the door of the conference room. “What are you doing here?” I asked him, my tone harsh but I didn’t care.

 

“I’ve been summoned here by the senior SM managers which is something you should know given you’re supposed to be my personal assistant.” He looked over at Hoon, whose hand I was still holding. “But I see you’ve been rather preoccupied with more personal affairs.”

 

“Well I called that meeting I just didn’t realise the managers would want you there. And for your information Hoon is my-”

 

“First love I know I was there,” he interrupted me. Before I could say something back, the door to the conference room opened and we were invited inside.

 

I presented my case to the SM managers, all of them smiling out at me. I didn’t believe for a second that it was genuine though. They probably only like me for the extra revenue that I’m bringing in to the company. When I had finished one of them asked me a question.

 

“What you do in your personal life is none of our concern, Miss Choi, unless it conflicts with the interests of the company. Our only worry is that there might be a scandal if the press see you getting in a car with a man that’s not Sehun.” I was about to breath a sigh of relief. I was expecting a question much more difficult to answer than that.

 

“I have already thought of that, gentlemen. I’ll send my flatmate over to come and collect him.” With this response they all nodded and mumbled their approval.

 

“In which case we support your decision, Choi Min. Thank you for dealing with this rather unusual situation with Sehun in such a calm and composed fashion.”

 

“Oh I wouldn’t worry about this situation continuing on for much longer, good sirs. If Sehun continues behaving like this, we will no longer be a couple.”