Greetings

Custody Battle

Sorry for the long wait, but I've finally updated on this! yay? :D It's been so long that I actually had to re-read the chapter to remember what went on in this story haha

 


Stephen and his fiancée. The words rolled around in her mind to no end, even when she had given a forced smile and generic introduction since Stephen hadn’t exactly shown any signs of recognizing her.

 

Figures. He had been a player when they had met. She was just another notch to his belt, nothing really worth remembering.

 

“So, now that you have your own bakery, does that mean we can be your first customers? You are aware that Bora and I are getting married in a couple of months and are in need of some wedding cupcakes.” Stephen batted his eyelashes, pouting all the while, and to Jessica’s dismay, it made him look so stinking adorable.

 

“Well,” Yoona pondered thoughtfully and grinned at the stiff-looking Jessica, “I have to discuss this with my partner, Sica. We do have the right to refuse service to anyone, you know. And how do I know you guys won’t be those bride and groom-zillas. No offense, Bora.” She quickly added, to which Bora laughed.

 

“We won’t. Promise. Please say yes.” Stephen then directed his puppy eyes at Jessica, causing her to feel conflicted with the thoughts of either smacking him for: 1) forgetting about her, 2) Never once contacting her after spending that one fateful night with her, but instead leaving her alone to take care of their baby, or blushing because his big, warm eyes were just as expressive and beautiful as she remembered.

 

Her body decided on blushing against her own will as she replied meekly, “S-sure.”

 

Geez, she can never win against the Hwang genes. Even with Seo, she could never say no when he puts out those eyes.

 

“Great! I knew you were nicer than Yoona.”

 

“Hey!” Yoona smacked Stephen’s head, making Jessica feel slightly better since it was something that she sort of regretted not doing the first second she saw him walk into this bakery.

 

“Well, I better get going. I’m supposed to meet up with my friends soon. It was nice meeting you guys.” Bora waved politely and stood up to leave.

 

“Want me to drive you there?” Stephen asked thoughtfully.

 

“No, it’s okay. I’ll catch a cab. You should stay here and catch up with your friends.” Bora said, pressing her hand affectionately against Stephen’s cheek before leaving the stuffy room.

 

At least, Jessica thought it was very stuffy.

 

“I like her.” Yoona cooed as she leaned against Yul’s shoulder.

 

“Thanks, Yoona,” Stephen laughed, “I like her too. She was the first woman in a suit to ever catch my eye.”

 

“From your dad’s law firm, right?”

 

“Yup, the one place that I’ve lived and breathed for the past four years since my dad took me out of college.”

 

Thankfully, they were too busy talking to notice Jessica’s surprised expression. Was that why she couldn’t find him anywhere on campus while she walked around with a baby bump?

 

“Oh yeah, how’s is it feel to be a big shot lawyer now?”

 

Shrugging arrogantly, Stephen suddenly winked at Jessica. “Yoona, please, I’ve always been a big shot. I’m just now a big shot with a high paying job.”

 

“And a big head.” Jessica mumbled, only to widen her eyes for speaking out her thoughts. Three heads were already turned toward her, and before she knew it, they were laughing at her supposed insult/joke.

 

“You’re funny. I like you.” Stephen claimed as if he were a child relaying his emotions to another child.

 

“Thanks?” Jessica answered, slightly taken aback by his crescent-shaped eyesmiles.

 

After enduring another ten minutes of ‘bonding,’ Yoona and Yul decided to inspect the kitchen, giving Jessica the opportunity to excuse herself. In her defense, she was not trying to avoid Stephen. She just really wanted to look at the kitchen as well. Oh, screw it, she definitely was trying to avoid him.

 

“Um, I should go check out the kitchen too.” Jessica stood up, pushing the chair back and intending to fast-walk as fast as she could, but a hand all of a sudden held her wrist before she could take a step.

 

“Wait, Jessi.”

 

“W-what did you call me?” It’s been so long since she’s heard that nickname. That nickname was created the day they first met, by the very man in front of her. The very man that was supposed to have forgotten her after all these years.

 

“Jessi, you didn’t actually think I’d forget about you, did you?” Stephen’s lips quirked upwards in that charming way that had lured her in all those years ago.

 

If she were to be completely honest, Jessica had always assumed he had forgotten about her. She had always been the awkward, plain girl that never really stood out in the crowd. So the night that Stephen actually noticed her, it was like a miracle or a dream come true. She always believed that was enough for her, even if he couldn’t remember her after that. But now it turned out that he hadn’t forgotten about her. Stephen Hwang actually remembered her and the nickname that he used while they were committing not-so-innocent deeds.

 

“Are you okay? Your face is red.”

 

“I’m f-fine.” Jessica quickly answered as she pushed away those memories. With her mind finally cleared, annoyed and confused feelings replaced them. “So why did you act like you didn’t know me for the past hour?”

 

Guiltily, Stephen rubbed his neck. “It wasn’t really something that I could do. I couldn’t exactly say, “Oh, hey, Jessi, it’s been a while. Wow, remember that one time we met? You know, in the upstairs room at a stupid party, wasted and having ?”

 

“Y-yeah, okay, I see your point.”

 

“Good, so no hard feelings?”

 

“Yeah, no hard feelings?” Just except that you’ve unknowingly left me with our child for 3 years.

 

“Awesome. I hope we can be friends, still.”

 

“Sure.” Jessica smiled back, more out of obligation than anything. But while we’re at it, maybe you can be the father of our child.

 

Suddenly, Stephen walked around the table and stood just inches from Jessica. “I’m really glad to see you again, Jessi.”

 

“Mommy!”

 

Both their heads whipped toward the entrance. A chubby-cheeked boy came scampering over, rushing past Stephen as he jumped into Jessica’s startled arms.

 

“Seobaby, how did you find me here?”

 

“Auntie Taetae took me here!”

 

“Congrats on the job, Sica,” said the shorter woman that had emerged with a bag full of goodies.

 

“Uh, thanks.” Were the only words Jessica could respond with. She had other problems to worry about, like the fact that she had Seo and Stephen in the same room together. She was no longer composed, and her facial expressions were clearly showing it. Instead, she was freaking the out right now.

 

“Mommy, who’s he?” Seo had managed to twist around in her arms to point his curious finger directly at Stephen.

 

The moment the child and his father had made contact, Jessica knew the truth had been revealed. She could tell by the way Stephen’s eyes had turned from friendly to downright stunned. Even his skin had turned a few shaders whiter.

 

She knew she couldn’t ignore it anymore, especially when Stephen’s gaze shifted from their baby boy’s to hers.

 

As Stephen had mentioned before about awkward introductions, they weren’t very good conversation starters. But it was useless to cry over spilled milk, so…

 

“Seo, this is your dad.”


 

I'm sorry if it's a bit awkward with the grammar and all... I didn't read it over and just typed it all the way through