Surprises

Custody Battle

-Three Years Later (present day)-

 

“Mommy” A pair of small hands reached for Jessica’s shoulder and lightly shook it.

 

The word ‘mommy’ and continuous shaking was repeated until the woman named ‘mommy’ finally opened her eyes, seeing her precious little baby boy with dark brown hair staring curiously at her.

 

“She’s here.”

 

Two words were all he had to say for Jessica to jump off her bed, ruffle her smart child’s head, and prepare for their monthly routine.

 

Jessica covered herself with a thick blanket, which was a horrible experience since there was no air conditioning, not to mention that it was the middle of the summer—the heat was at its peak.

 

“Seobaby.” Jessica kneeled before her three year old child and closed her eyes as he did his usual job.

 

A thumb and index finger used its baby strength to pinch his mom’s cheeks and nose.

 

“Does it hurt?” Seo asked worriedly, wanting to rub away the tinge of redness on Jessica’s nose and cheeks.

 

“Aish. Mommy is strong, she doesn’t get hurt. Remember that, okay, Seobaby.”

 

Seo was now nodding in understanding, admiring the way his mom always put on a brave face in front of him.

 

“Now let’s go, shall we?”

 

Seo clutched a part of his mom’s blanket as they made their way to the door. Tears were already welling up in the corner of his eyes the moment Jessica opened the door.

 

“A-Ahjumma…” Jessica greeted weakly.

 

“Omo! You’re sick again?” The landlady placed her palm against Jessica’s hot, sweating forehead.

 

“I-I’m f-fine…” Jessica coughed for good measure.

 

“Have you been home this whole time?”

 

Jessica shook her head faintly. “There’s no way I could take a day off, I wouldn’t want to be late in paying for rent, so I’ve been working nonstop.”

 

The landlady stared pitifully at the single mother.

 

“Please wait here while I go get this month’s rent.” Jessica dragged her body ever so weakly to her purse, leaving her son with their landlady.

 

“Aw, sweetie, why are you crying?” The landlady looked down at the teary boy who was sniffling.

 

“Is mommy going to die? She hasn’t been eating for days just so we can save up money. I asked mommy to buy medicine but she said we have to spend that money on rent.” Seo covered his eyes with his arms as his small chest heaved up and down. “I don’t want mommy to die!” He wailed, dropping to the floor as he burst into tears.

 

“Seo!” Jessica returned, giving a weak, yet stern look to her boy. “Don’t make Ahjumma feel uncomfortable. I’m sorry about that, please ignore Seo, he’s just a child, he doesn’t know what he’s saying.” Jessica released a loud cough as she opened up her wallet to pull out a check.

 

Her hand was shaking while she tried to pull the check out. A wrinkled hand landed on top of hers.

 

“Keep it, dear. Spend it on some medicine and food. You’re sick and weak, how can you take care of your child while you’re unhealthy. Forget about this month’s rent. I’ll just collect the next one.”

 

Jessica’s eyes were pooling with tears. “T-Thank you, Ahjumma.”

 

“It’s not a problem, just try to get better, okay?” The woman knelt in front of Seo. “Looks like you don’t have to worry, your mother is going to get better in no time.”

 

Seo wiped his tears and threw his arms around the old woman.

 

Once their landlady had left, Jessica shut the door and threw off the blanket.

 

“High five, Seobaby!”

 

The boy giggled as Jessica lifted him up and had their palms greet each other.

 

“Aish, you’re such a talented actor.” She replied, a little astonished over her child’s acting skills as she wiped his real tears. 

 

“We won’t get kicked out, right Mommy?”

 

“Of course not. But I don’t think this will work a fourth time, so we better get you to daycare, so mommy can find a job that pays good money.”

 

Once Jessica had dropped Seo off at daycare, she made a call to her best friend from college.

 

“Yoona, it’s me. About that job, is a blouse and skirt okay for the interview?”

 

“Just dress casual, Jessica.”

 

Jessica’s eyebrow rose in curiosity as she continued to bike to the location of the mysterious job that Yoona would not clue her in on.

 

“What is it that I’m interviewing for? Shouldn’t I prepare my answers beforehand?”

 

“Nah… no need. I’m absolutely positive you’ll get the job if you just be yourself. Good luck, Jessica!”

 

Jessica hung up the call, turning her bike around the curve. “797, 799, oh, 801!” She parked her bike beside the pole and stood in front of the sign.

 

The Black Pearl was the name of the shop. It was pretty huge for a bakery in this crowded street.

 

So this was the big surprise that Yoona had. Jessica’s never baked before, but she was a pretty fast learner. The evidence was her college degree that she had spent sweat and tears on. Even as a senior with a protruding belly bump, she stuck through and got her degree. Of course, graduating with honors didn’t guarantee her dream job, which was to be a lawyer. All of that was put on hold when she gave birth to her perfect angel. Instead of studying for the bar exam, she spent sleepless nights juggling different jobs.  But now that Seo was attending school, Jessica thought it was time to get a more stable job, one that could pay the bills and pay for Seo’s schooling.

 

“You got this.” Jessica prepped herself before she entered the bakery. She was met with an appealing shade of pearl pink wallpaper and trendy-looking furniture.

 

But that wasn’t why opened in shock.

 

“Jessica, you finally came!” The owner of the shop ran up to Jessica and gave her a bear hug.

 

“Why… how… what the hell, Yoona…” Jessica mumbled, still in a state of disbelief.

 

“Surprise! Yul gave me this bakery as an anniversary gift. Isn’t he just the sweetest? With a bakery this huge, I knew I’d need help in getting this business running, which is why I’m going to ask you for a favor. Now, please do not think this is me pitying you, I’m the one who is in need of your help.” Yoona squeezed Jessica’s hands for reassurance, knowing that Jessica hated to accept help from others—talk about stubborn pride. “Please be my business partner.”

 

With such a great offer dangling in front of Jessica, how could she possibly say no. “The walls are a bit too plain, lights in this room are a little too bright, maybe we can add a couch in the corner—“

 

“Thank you, thank you! I knew you wouldn’t let me down. By the way, nice outfit.” She smirked playfully at the girl dressed like she was interviewing for a business job.

 

Jessica hit Yoona’s arm and smiled when the younger girl cried in pain. “You know I hate surprises.”

 

“But when you found out you were pregnant with Seo, you said he was the best surprise you ever got.”

 

“Seo is an exception. He wasn’t planned, but I don’t regret anything that came to making him.”

 

“Hm…” Yoona tapped her finger against her chin thoughtfully, “What was the father’s name again?”

 

Jessica clenched her hand into a fist, ready to punch Yoona again until the bell chimed not once, not twice, but thrice, indicating three guests.

 

“Yoona!”

 

“Yul!” The two hugged, kissed and hurt Jessica’s eyes with their touchiness.

 

A husky chuckle in the opposite side of Jessica’s sight caught her attention. She turned to the other guests and almost fell over from the horrifying revelation.

 

Yul pulled Yoona toward his two acquaintances while Yoona dragged the motionless Jessica along.

 

Now here Jessica was… standing in front of…

 

“Yoona, Jessica… I want you to meet my good friend, Stephen and his fiancée, Bora.”

 

Like Jessica said, she hates surprises, and this is no exception.

 


Hii! I'm so sorry it took so long to update, but I hope the first official chapter was okay... idk :/ Please feel free to leave a comment! I look forward to reading what you guys think :)