A new era

Strangers, best friends or rivals?

The remaining time of Kibum's preschool day were spent homeschooling. After having repeatedly trying to run away, Nari and Sungho decided that homeschooling would be best for now. Up until he were old enough to start elementary school. Kibum hasn't been this excited to start a new school ever, and if it wasn't for the fact that his best friend, and neighbour, Jonghyun would be at the same school, Kibum would be just as against starting as always.

 

Even thought they were not in the same class, with only a year seperating them, they did spend the first years together as lot. During breaks as well as lunch, they usually met up with on another. A lot of their classmates thought they were a bit weird, hanging out with older/younger students. "Why do you even hang out with him? He's not even in our class.", Nahyun, a female friend of Kibum's ask once. "We've been friends since we were kids, what's so wrong with hanging out with him?", Kibum would always respond. He didn't really see a problem with it, and did not understand what were so weird about it. "But he hang out with Jinyoung?", Nahyun would always bicker about. "So? It's his friend? I don't really hang out with him personally, I'm with Jjong, not Jinyoung. Get  grip of yourself, Nahyun.", he would roll his eyes at her as she would comment about why Kibum always insist on calling him "Jjong".

 

Since they were indeed neighbours, they usually went to school together, and occasionally back home, depending on their after-school activites. This same pattern lasted up until the last year in middle school.

 

"He's like a little kid, Jonghyun. Does he always has to join us for lunch?", Jinyoung always had a dramatic sigh over the, way to often, repeated question. "He's my friend? If you don't want to him to sit with us then go sit somewhere else?", Jonghyun really didn't see what the big problem with Kibum were, but apparently Jinyoung did not like him very much. "Also, we only have like two months left of middle school, then we'll start high school and Key will still be here, so don't bother so much about it, geez.", Jonghyun rolled his eyes, a habit he got from hanging out with Kibum too much. "And what kind of name is that even? Key. Sounds.. gay.", Jinyoung spat. At his, Jonghyun did not even know what to say, with rage in his eyes he just started at Jinyoung. "What?", the stared at boy asked confused. "Don't call him that!", Jonghyun said with a stern voice as he just got up and left.

 

Jonghyun knew Kibum hates when people call him names and mess with him like that, and he did not like it so much himself. It did not matter what others said or thought about their friendship, it was not weird in the least. There's only a years' difference, why do everyone have to act like it is the craziest thing they have ever seen? Either way, they did not let anyone get between them with their opinions.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Jonghyun, now aged 15, were very excited to start his sophmore year at high school. This did not only mean meeting his friends again, it also meant having Kibum in the same school again. He really missed having Key close to him, even if it doesn't really matter that much since it's only a few hours a day, but since his after-school activites and more homework keeps him busy the last years, they don't have as much free time to spend together.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

It's already three months into the new school year, and much to Jinyoungs dismay, the old pattern from middle school has been caught up on. During breaks and during lunch, Jonghyun and Kibum would find each other, spending their free time together as much as they could.

 

"Honstly Jonghyun, do we really need to have lunch with him? Again?", Jinyoung sighed loudly as they sat down in the cafeteria, knowing very well that Jonghyun looked around to find Kibum. "What? Yes? If you don't like it then you can go sit somwhere else.", Jonghyun half-joked. Just as Jinyoung opened his mouth, Kibum arrived at their table and put down his tray on the table. "Honestly thought, have you even seen her? She's obviously going out with that Daehyun.", Kibum were still talking to his friend, Nahyun. "How can you be so sure? She has a boyfriend, right? That Yoochun-guy.", Nahyun added. "Well hello to you too.", Jonghyun interrupted their little conversation with a fake smile. "Oh hi,", Kibum quickly added as he looked at Jonghyun for a second before turning back to Nahyun. "But seriously though, according to Jenny, she saw Eunbi and Daehyun together yesterday.", he added, in which Nahyun just gasped and slapped his arm. "Well, good to see you to getting along well..", Jonghyun rolled his eyes. "Oh, don't you roll you eyes at me.", said snarky as he looked at Jonghyun. "Woah! Excuse me little miss princess.", he held both his hands up, showing innocence, an action that caused Kibum to throw his chopsticks at him. "Don't call me that you big dinosaur." The bickering went back and forth and even Jinyoung joined in, to everyone's surprise.

 

Right as the bell rang, signaling that class were about to start, Jonghyun caught up with Kibum who were just leaving his tray and throwing away his leftovers. "Hey by the way, what are you doing after school today?", he asked. Kibum hummed a little, thinking for a second before responding, placing the tray on the rack. "I have my dance class after school, and then mom wanted me to help her out with dinner, she's trying to get back into cooking again. Doesn't want the maids to do everything you know.", he chuckled. "Aaww, you have dance class today?? I thought that was yesterday!", Jonghyun groaned. Kibum looked at him a little bit shocked, not really expecting that answer. "Why?", he asked confused. "I wanted to ask if you wanted to see this new movie with me tonight, I've been wanting to go for a while, but I've been busy with my soccer practice, and since our coach is on a out-of-town-meeting, we're free today afetr school.", he sighed heavily. "But you're free tomorrow after school?", he perked back up again, looking at Kibum with those puppy eyes that only a idiot would say no to. "Yeah I am, or well, I don't have dance class tomorrow if that's what you meant.", he chuckled again, feeling all giggly as he saw the huge smile on Jonghyun's face. "But don't you have you regular practice tomorrow?", Kibum asked again, he's pretty sure he was practice tomorrow, he always has practice on Thursdays, don't ask how he knows. "Well... yeeeah. But skipping one practice won't hurt to much, right?", he winked at Kibum as he flashed a cheeky smile. Why that made Kibum feel so happy, he didn't know, but he's not abut to turn anything that makes him happy down. "So we'll meet outside the gate tomorrow after school then, deal?", Jonghyun patted his back before he started to run away, looking back at Kibum once before turning the corner, not even waiting for an answer. "S-sure..", Kibum stuttered confused and flushed for himself, staring at were Jonghyun were just seen. Shaking his mind out of it, he went to find his own classroom, apparently Nahyun went before him.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

"So, you're going to the movies tomorrow after school with Jonghyun?", Nari asked as they both peeled the potatoes together. "Yeah, he asked if I could today but I had my dance class and I promised I'd help you out.", he replied casually. "It's been a while since I saw you two hang out together, it's great seeing you try and make time for each other again.", she smiled as she went to grab a cutting board. "Yeah, well, his friend, Jinyoung,", he said with as much disgust he could, making sure to emphasize the name. "he doesn't really like me. Never has. I'm pretty sure he makes sure that he takes all of Jjong's free time so he won't have enough to spend time with me.", Kibum told his mother honestly, rolling his eyes in the making. "Oh don't be like that Kibummie! I'm sure that's not the case. Maybe he's just jealous of how close you and Jonghyun are?  I mean, you are childhood friends.", she told him, trying to look for any change in his facial expressions, but he showed none. "Well, sorry for being so perfect then.", Kibum chuckled, throwing a potato playfully at his mother. "Don't throw the food!", Nari tried to act stern but her giggles betrayed her. "I'm sure you'll have a great time tomorrow, say hi to him from me, will you?", she added with a fond smile, starting to cut up the potatoes and put in a sauce pan. "I surely will!", Kibum replied with a light, sassy attitude.

____________________________________________________________

A/N

 

A FEW THINGS I WANT TO SAY:

 

I am extremely, very, super sorry for being absent for soooo long!! I never planned to abandon this fic like this, a lot of stuff happened and school and other problems got in the way, I lost my joy for writing and just a lot ot things has happened, I APOLOGIZE!! If any of my subscribers are left, I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU as well as a BIGGER SORRY!!

 

But I finally got back to writing again, and I actually have somewhat of a story going for this now (I actually had to re -read every chapter because I barely remember hahah), I have no idea what my thoughts for this story were, but I've got new ideas now, and hopefully you'll enjoy them!

 

I won't be able to update as often as weekly, but I definitely won't be gone for over a year until next update! I'm a bit rusty in writing, but I'll try and get a nice flow back.

 

I also apologize for the time-jump, I know some of you wanted more elementary and middle school stories, but I didn't really know what to write, and all my ideas are more... "teenage appropriate", so I decided to just write a very quick fly-trough of those early years.

 

I hope you guys don't hate me too much, and I'll try my best to keep a coherent updating pace!!

 

Please do comment and tell me what you think, it's always appreciated ❤️