Practice makes perfect

Strangers, best friends or rivals?

It's been a while since Kibum went back to preschool and everything finally seemed to go back to how it were. Except one thing. Summer break is approaching, fast, and that only meant one thing to Kibum; Jonghyun starting elementary school. There was nothing Kibum despised more than the thought of being left alone with a group of Kibum-hating rascals. The only reason he's even going to preschool is because Jonghyun asked him to come back. He himself has no interest what so ever in being there.

 

But putting that aside, Kibum planned on making the best of the time that's left! Just because he change schools doesn't me they will lose contact completely, they are still neighbours after all.

 

They played a lot and Kibum tried to spend as much time with him as possible, he even tried to talk more to people and he tried his best at controlling his emotions. He knew that deep down Jonghyun was probably annoyed by the fact that he was so shy all the time and barely spoke to anyone. Even too shy to ask for some water from the teachers, making Jonghyun ask instead. And the fact that he cried almost constantly over the smallest things. Kibum didn't see anything wrong with it, he's always been like this so he didn't know better, but he still tried his best to change for him.

~*~*~*~*~

The last day of preschool was finally over and Misook was holding a small party over at their house to celebrate. There was a huge barbeque and the parents talked a lot and loud, Jonghyun and Kibum not really getting why some sit there and laugh at everything while the others seem to have a way too serious conversation, if you ask them.

 

"Kibummie!", the other boy suddenly exclaimed excited, staring intensely at the young neighbour. "W-what?", Kibum stuttered confused, taken by surprise. "Do you wanna jump into the pool?", he asked excitedly. "P-pool?" Jonghyun nodded. "You have a kids' pool?", Kibum asked confused, looking behind him on the deck where the huge pool was placed. "No, but we have that one.", Jonghyun responded, pointing over to the big pool again. "But I don't know how to swim...", the younger looked down, mumbling embarrassed. "Then I'll teach you!", Jonghyun grabbed his hand and ran inside, getting his swimwear. "Here, you can have this one. It's not pink, but I think it's good enough!", Jonghyun grinned at the younger who changed into the swimwear embarrassed.

 

Running back out, the older boy shouted at him mother, askin where the arm puffs were. "You guys gonna swim?", she asked happily, moving form her chair to help the boys find their arm puffs. Finally back at the pool, Kibum hesitated a lot before going in, Jonghyun, not being able to wait, dived right into it, already swimming around. "You're wanna learn how to swim?", Nari asked her son who still just poked his foot into the water. Kibum nodded while fiddling with his fingers. "Give mommy a sec okay, don't jump into the pool yet, I'll be right back!", Nari told hime while she asked for a change of clothes, more than happy that Kibum finally wanted to learn how to swim.

 

"Come on! It's not that hard! Just move your feet like this, while your arms go like this!", Jonghyun explained to the scared boy waiting patienly for his mother by the edge of the pool. "You can do it!", he told him. Kibum on the other hand, never really being that confident in himself, didn't believe him. Too scared to go into the water he just wanted to run away. But he promised himself not to do that anymore. He need to face his fears at some point.

 

"I'm back baby." Kibum looked behind him with a smile on his face as his mother kissed his cheek. "Wanna try and swim?", she smiled at him. He just nodded happily, all his previous  thoughts just somehow drained away. Nari let Kibum down into the pool, one step at a time. "Don't worry, it's shallow here, just don't swim too far, it gets deeper then.", Nari told him to make sure he didn't try and go onto the deep parts of the pool. "Here, hold onto the edge right here.", she began, trying to teach him how to move his legs. "Then do like this.", she added. "Like this! Like this!", the older boy chimed in, holding onto the edge right next to him, moving his legs like a frog. "Like this?", Kibum asked, trying his best to mimic the moves. "See! You're doing great!", Nari said happily. A smile grew on Kibum's face as he kept repeating the moves to make his legs feel like they moved on their own accord. "And your arms goes like this!", Jonghyun said again, his toes barely touching the bottom of the pool as he show Kibum the arm motions. Kibum, who was still wearing the arm puffs, looked closely, trying to understand what he did. "Like this?", he asked confused, moving his arms. "No, almost. You need to have your hand like this and try to do more like this.", Jonghyun explained, using his own hands to move Kibum's, explaining how it's done.

 

"Wow, Jonghyunnie, you should be a swimming instructor, don't you think?", Nari praised the young boy who just grinned happily in response. "Wanna try swimming once Kibummie?", Nari finally asked her little boy. He hesitated a bit before answering. "Can I still wear my puffs?", he pouted, looking away. "Of course you can wear your puffs!", she chuckled, ruffling his wet hair. "Try and float on your stomach like this, then use your arms and legs just like Jonghyun explained, okay?", she told him as she held around his waist right now, trying to get him to float better. "Use your arms and legs Kibum! Arms and legs!", she chanted, making sure he tried is a few times before and got a hang of it before she let go. Kibum got a about a meter and a half before he sank again. Thankfully, the puffs still on. "I can't swim.", Kibum muttered to himself. "Yes you can!", Jonghyun yelled at him. "Keep trying, you'll get a hang of it soon! It took me a long time before I learned how to do it properly, don't give up.", the energetic little boy chanted at him to do his best. Kibum took a deep breath and tried again. And again. And again. "I can't do thiiis!!", he cried out, wailing his arms. "I give up!", he pouted both sad, angry and annoyed. "There's no shortcut to perfection Kibummie! All is takes is hardwork and more hardwork! Don't give up yet!", Jonghyun said with a stern voice, but with no intention of being mean, he just tried to help. "But I've tried and tried but I get nowhere!", Kibum pouted even harder. "Then it means it's not over yet!", Jonghyun yelled as he swam over to the younger boy, grabbing his hands. "Move your legs, don't worry about your arms, I help you for now.", he said with a calm, yet serious voice. Taking steps backwards as Kibum swam forward. "See? It's going better now, isn't it?", the older boy grinned proudly. Kibum just smiled. "Now try once without me." "W-what?! No I can't do that!", Kibum panicked. "Try! I'll be right here if you need me.", he smiled at him, still standing in front of him, watching him move in the water. "You have to move your legs more!" Jonghyun were always close by, watching him trying to learn how to swim. Pointing out what he needed to do or don't do.

 

"Mom! Mom! Look! I'm swimming!!", Kibum yelled excited. "Mom! Are you looking?!",  he yelled again. "Oh my god! Kibum! My little Kibum is swimming on his own!", Nari exclaiemd happily, small tears forming in her eyes. Only a proud mother would understand her feelings. "Was I good?", Kibum grinned at his mother as he reached the steps again, standing on the bottom. "Very good! I'm so proud of you!" She kissed his cheeks twice, giving him a big hug. "And you too!", she added, pulling Jonghyun in for a hug. "Thank you so much for teaching Kibum how to swim. I've tried before but he always gives up and leave the pool, hahaha!", Nari laughed, making Jonghyun laugh as well. Kibum on the other hand, he just stood there, blushing embarrassed. "See? I told you not to give up!", the little boy said proudly, patting Kibum's back twice. "But it's also very late now! Both of you should go to bed!", Nari said with her half-faked stern voice. "Fiiine~", both kids sighed in unison, running inside to go change.

___________________________________________________________________________

A/N

Very short chapter and very lost author hahah

I wasn't sure what to write but I really wanted to update, feels like I haven't updated in ages! I'm sorry!! ><''

Anyway, I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU GUY, I don't have that many ideas left for when they're kids, and I'm thinking about moving on "to a new age", meaning jump into their pre-teen years, around 10-12 years old or something like that, do you guys want that or do you want more kid-stories? [If so, please give me ideas of what kids can do! Hahah I'm really lost there!]

 

All the "main things" planned in this story happens in their teens, a.k.a high school in this case, so if you want me to jump into "the new age", or more kid stories, please tell me~!! ㅅㅂㅅ

(Also, the pre-teen stories won't be so many, I just need to cover up a few things so all the parts in "the main story" later on will make sense)

 

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING~!! FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE AND I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE VERY FLAWED CHAPTER