New people? Interacting? Talking? No thanks!

Strangers, best friends or rivals?

Almost half a year has past and it was finally time for what Kibum dreaded the most, preschool.

 

He used to go to a preschool back in Daegu, but hasn't been to one since. His parents thought it was best for him to settle in and get used to the new surroundings before returning. Kibum, on the other hand, didn't want to go at all. He was scared and way too shy to even make new friends, Jonghyun was an exception since he was forced to go to their house, as Kibum sees it, but he''s happy he did show up that evening, letting Kibum make a new friend, but the time  finally came and it was time for Kibum to start preschool again.

 

The car pulled up the parking lot outside the small school, both his parents decided to drop him off at his first day, but the whining kid in the backseat seemed to think the opposite. Refusing to get out of the car and clinging onto the belt as hard his tiny fist could manage. "Kibummie we have to go or you'll be late.", Nari sighed. "No!", he shouted back. "Mommy and daddy willl be late for work too. You'll have a lot of fun you'll see! I promise you!", she smiled. With a slight struggle she managed to remove his tiny first from the belt and picked him up. "He finally gave up?", Sungho chuckled. Kibum clinged onto his mothers shirt tightly and his thumb with the other, not wanting to let go.

 

"Oh~ This must be little Kibum? Aren't you a cute one! Welcome!", the teacher exclaiemd excited. "He's a little shy.", Nari chuckled, looking at Kibum in his arms with a smile. "Are you excited to be here?", the teacher asked him again. Kibum just shook his head and pressed his face against his mother, both hands holding her shirt. "No? Come on, you'll have so much fun! And meet a lot of new kids who will play with you!", she smield brightly, stretching her arms out to take him but he refued to let go of her mother. "Come on now Kibum, time to go.", Nari said, lifting him up but he still held onto the shirt. "Now now, let go fo mommy and we'll soon be back. You can go and play all day, don't you like that?", Sungho smiled at him, discreetly trying to remove his hands. As soon as they handed him over Kibum stared crying. Both Sungho and Nari just wanted to take him back and go home, seeing how much he didn't want to be here, but on the other hand, both of them knew this was the best, he had to get used to it and all kids are probably like this at first.

 

You could hear laughter and squealing from inside but that didn't make Kibum stop crying. The teacher tried to comfort him, patting and rubbing his back and telling him positive things. It took a while but soon enough his crying stared to turn into sobs and sniffling. She brought him into the teacher's room at first, not wanting to startle him with so many new kids at once. She grabbed a few tissues and dried off his face. "You feeling okay now?", she asked in a calm voice, showing him a small, innocent smile. He responded slowly, but gave her a small nod, sniffling once. "My name is Hyejin and I'm one of you teachers here.", she smiled. "Here at preschool we're going to teach you a lot of things, like the numbers and the alphabet, you know, all the letters you use and see when reading and writing?", she began and Kibum nodded. "Is this your first time in preschool?", Hyejin asked, trying to make him feel more comfortable. Kibum shook his head. "Did you like it before?", she asked again, this time a nod for an answer. "Then I'm sure you're going to like it here as well!", she smiled brightly. "Let's go meet the others, shall we?", she said as she stood up, grabbing Kibum's hand. He just followed silently, looking around the place at the same time before they reached what seemed like the main room.

 

"Everyone, can I get your attention just for a few seconds!", she shouted, all the kids looked confused but with the help of the rest of the teachers, they all gathered nicely on the floor. "We have someone new here today!", she exclaimed happily. "Would you like to introduce yourself?", she asked, looking at Kibum. He hesitated a bit but got out a low "I'm Kim Kibum.", then looking down into the floor. "What?", a kid at the back shouted. Kibum refused to speak up again, he played with the hem of his shirt like he always does when nervous, still refusing to look up. "This is Kim Kibum and he's going to be with us here, starting today! Please take good care of him and be nice!", Hyejin smiled at the kids. They all stood back up and ran back to play where they left off. Kibum looked around confused and shy, not sure what to do. "It's okay, you can play with whatever you want!", she told him and he looked up at her confused. "Hyejin, someone's looking for you!", another one of the teachers shouted. "Be right back Kibum, now go play!", she patted his back once before running off.

 

He looked around again, his hands still on the hem of his shirt. Taking slow and tiny steps around the room, he wasn't sure where to go. He saw a group of boy playing with cars and trucks, he took a few more steps towards them but when they looked back at him he didn't know what to do, he froze. "You want to play with us?", a boy asked. He nodded. "Sungmin-hyung, there are no toys left!", another boy told him. "Really? Oh.. I'm sorry..", he looked back at Kibum. He shook his head rapidly, "It's okay", he told them as he began walking to the other side of the room. The first were playing dress up and playing around with dolls. He stood a bit afar and just watched, not sure what to do.

 

"What do you stare at?", a girl asked. Kibum was taken by surprise, not sure if she talked to him or not. "Dolls are for girls!", someone else told him. "Yeah!", they all agreed. Kibum felt the tears push behind is eyes but he didn't want to cry. Not again. But he didn't know what to do, so he ran into another room. By the corner in the room it stood a tent, he carefully looked inside, not sure if someone was already there or not, but it empty, only a few plushies inside. He stepped inside and closed the velcro "door" to it, creeping into the corner and hugging the bunny-plsuh tightly to his chest. "I wanna go home..", he whispered to himslef, burying his face into the plushie. The tears staretd running down his cheeks and he was so lost, not knowing what to do. He doesn't want to be here. He don't like new people. They are mean.

 

He could hear all the kids in the other room, running around, squealing, laughing and having fun. Everyone without Kibum. He started to cry harder but didn't want to make any sound so he bit into the plushie, making himself as silent as possible. He hated this. Why did his parent do this to him. They just left him here. Alone. He knew no one, got no one. Even the teacher left him and now he's lost again. He was shy to begin with, but people refusing to be with him without even trying made him feel worthless. Is he really that bad? Do I look weird? Smell weird? Or do they just not like me beacause.. I'm me? He was confused. Wanting the hours to pass quickly.

 

He heard someone enter the room and he looked up quickly, making sure he sat completely still and didn't make a sound. He heard them move to the opposite corner of the room. "Please leave..", Kibum whispered to himself. He heard them running out the room again and he let out a sigh of relief. "There you are!" Kibum screamed, surprise by someone ripping up the "door" to his tent and stick his head inside. Jonghyun. "Why are you here?", he pouted. "And why are you crying?", he asked. He didn't wait for an answer, just crawled inside and sat down next to him. "I was looking for you.", he said. Kibum didn't say anything, just sat there with his knees draw up and hugging the bunny close. "You didn't tell me you staretd today.", Jonghyun added again. "I didn't wanna.", Kibum mumbled into the bunny. "Why didn't you wanna tell me?", Jonghyun felt offended. "I thought he were friends!", he added with a sad pout on his face. "I mean I didn't wanna start.", Kibum corrected himself. "Oh.." It got silent. Jonghyun looked around the tent, not really much to see, but he wasn't sure what to do.

 

"You want to play?", he suddenly asked, looking at Kibum. He looked back with with tear stained face and just sniffled once. Refusing to cry again but he couldn't hold it back. Jonghyun wasn't sure what to do, but he knew it was always best to just be there and hold him until he stopped. He has learned that from all the previous times Kibum end up crying and he tried to comfort him in some weird way. Kibum let go of the bunny and wrapped his arms around Jonghyun's waist, crying into his tiny chest, sniffling and sobbing Jonghun just held him tight, caressing his back. Kibum was tired of trying to hold it back and keep it down so he cried out loud, this time actually catching the teachers attention. They could hear them quickly approaching and as soon as they entered the room, yelling a "Hello?", Jonghyun immediately answered "here".

 

They opened the tiny tent, finding a bawling Kibum in the arms of the older boy. "You okay? Kibum?", Hyejin asked in a calm, soothing voice as she patted his back again. He refused to let go of Jonghyun and Hyejin refused to leave Kibum alone. They sat there for a few mintues until they heard his crying, once again, turn into sobs. "You fine now?", Jonghyun asked. Kibum didn't saw or do anything, just lifing his head and sitting up, drying his face with the back of his arm. "You wanna play?", Jonghyun asked again, being inpatient. "Now?", Kibum sniffled. The older boy nodded viciously. "Well... That is if you want to?", he added. Kibum just blinked, staring at him. "Come on~", he whined. "I've waited all day to lay with you! You can't just leave me hanging now!", he pouted sadly, making Kibum chuckled. "Hah! You smiled!", Jonghyun grinned proudly as he pointed at him. He blushed at Jonghyun's happy exclaim, not sure why he got so happy because of it. "Now let's play!", he said excited as he grabbed hid hand, running out the tent and into the other room, shouting a "sorry teach!" as they accidentally bumped into her on the way out.

 

All the kids kept looking and staring at him and Jonghyun could tell how uncomfortable he was. He knew by now how shy amd awkward Kibum is around new people, and he didn't want his friend feeling uncomfortable when we was supposed to have fun. "Let's play in the other room!", Jonghyun said, still holding is hand as they walked towards the empty craft room. "You like drawing, right? Let's draw!", Jonghyun grinned happily, running to grab papers, scissors, glue and all different kinds of materials. Kibum giggled amused as the older boy ran around the room to bather everything, sometimes being too short to reach and having to grab a chair to stand on. "Here you go!", he smiled, sitting down on a chair opposite of Kibum. He immediately grabbed a piece of paper and some markers, starting to darw something. Being curious, Kibum tried to lean over and look at what he was doing but he kept covering it with his arm."Don't look!" The younger pouted but grabbed a paper of his own and a few pens. Not sure what to draw, he just began doodling all different kinds of stuff onto the paper.

 

About and hour passed and Jonghyun still wasn't done with the drawing, Kibum on the other hand, just finished his fifth. He put both his elbows onto the table, his head resting in his palms and sighed. The older boy looked up at him confused, but just smiled at him before working on his drawing again. "Why won't you show me!", the younger whined. "It's not done yet!" And just then Jonghyun was saved by the teacher. "It's time for lunch kids!" All the kids started running to the dining area, taking their seats. Kibum walked into the room, standing by the door and looking for an empty spot. Jonghyun already ran and sat down at his, what I assumed, assigned seat. Walking up to one of the tables with an empty seat, he put his hand on the chair, going to pull it out as a girl came yelling at him that it was her seat. He got startled and shocked. Looking around again, he didn't find a seat, nor a teacher. "Hyung..", he said in a low voice, most people wouldn't hear it, but Jonghyun did. He looked at the lost boy and got off his seat, walking towards him. "You can sit with me!", he said happily, grabbing is hand and a chair standing aside on the other side of the room. "Here.", he said as he made room for it next to his. "Thanks.", Kibum mumbled with a slight blush on his face.

 

The teachers finally came with the food and everyone ate, well.. most did. Some kids threw a tantrum because they didn't like the food they served, but Kibum knew better than to complain. He might come from a rich family and mostly got what he wanted, but he knew better than to complain, they should be happy they got something.

 

They also got a small pudding for after lunch, and Kibum loves pudding. There is nothing better in the world than pudding according to Kibum! Okay.. maybe mom. And dad. And his grandparents. And maybe Jonghyun. But pudding is very close by!

 

He quickly finished his pudding and the spoon spotless. Jonghyun looked at Kibum surprised, only half of his own pudding eaten. "You sure like pudding.", he chuckled. He just nodded embarrassed. "Here!", Jonghyun smiled, stretching out his arm to hand the younger boy what's left of his pudding. "Huh?", he looked at the pudding then up to the older boy confused. "You can have it.", he smiled, off his spoon one last time. "It's hyung's.", Kibum told him, not wanting to take something so good from someone else. "You like it more than I do. And you agreed to play with me so now we're even.", Jonghyun mumbled. Kibum blushed and thanked him, eating up the pudding at once.

 

After lunch they all returned to what the did and soon enough it was finally time for Kibum to go home! When he first got here, he really didn't want to be here, but now he didn't want to leave.

 

"Kibummie~!! Mommy's here!!", Nari yelled at the front door. She kicked off her shoes and went inside, looking for her little boy. "There you are!", she smield at him, crouching down next to him to give him a hug and kiss on the cheek. "I see you found Jonghyun.", she chuckled, the other boy bowing politely. "Is your mom coming to pick you up?", she asked him. "Yeah! In-...", he said in a loud voice but cut himself off to count on his finger. "asdf minutes!", he mumbled, not knowing the clock yet. "Oh, I'm sure she'll be here soon.", she smiled at him. "But Kibummie here was to get home now, don't we?", she ruffled his hair. Nari grabbed his hand and walked towards the door, Jonghyun running tightly after. She helped him put his shoes back on and made sure she had everything with her. "Let's go!", she strectehd her arm and hand out for Kibum to take. "Wait!", Jonghyun suddenly shouted, shocking both Nari and her son. "This is for you!", Jonghyun said, being embarrassed for once as he handed Kibum his drawing. "Me?", he asked confused, pointed at himself. Jonghyun nodded. "Open when you get home!", he added. Kibum looked at him confused but just told him he would wait. He waved goodbye to his older friend as he walked towards the car with his mother. "See you tomorrow!!", Jonghyun shouted excited, waving with his whole arm.

_________________________________________________________________

A/N I'm at a loss of kid scenarios to write about.. Please come with tips, always helpful! Hahaha

Also, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't hate me too much for making Kibum cry so much~