The first meeting

Strangers, best friends or rivals?

Kibum's POV

 

"Kibummie, wake up honey we're here.", the soothing voice of my mother called as she nudged my arm gently. Humming annoyed in response I rolled over, wanting to sleep more. "Come on, we need to start getting our stuff inside Kibum, wake up!", she said excited again, patting my ad refused to leave until I agreed to get up. "You can go play and look around the garden if you want to. Your father and I need to help these guys carry in the rest of our furniture, okay?", she smiled at me. I gave a tired nod and started walking around the big house.

 

This isn't the first time in my life that I've moved, but it is the first time I've moved to another city. It's kind of scary actually. I miss my friends and since I'm usually a pretty shy person, I don't have the easiest time to make new friends. When my parents told me we were going to move I refused to, but in the end I didn't have much to say in it. I'm just a kid and my father got a new job which made us move from Daegu to the big city called Seoul.

 

I explored out huge new garden that seemed to have everything, a sundeck, a pool, a park and a lot of flowers and trees, a tiny playground. Of course it was the playground that caught my attention the most, I guess it's the same for most five-year-olds. I ran up to the swing, sitting down on it with a little difficulty since I'm still a little short for my age. Swining my legs back and forth to get the swing to speed up more, swining higher.

 

I got to admit, even thought we just got here, it's kind of lonely. This huge house for a family of three, the enormous garden which made me feel smaller than I actually am. The silence was kind of creepy, the only thing I heard was the voices of my parents and the guys helping out with the moving. I jumped off the swing, walking further back and entered the hidden garden, a beautiful fountain surrounded with pretty flowers and a cute little table with matching chairs. My eyes lit up at the fairytale-like view in front of me. I happily ran up to the fountain but was way too short to even see into it. I looked around and grabbed one of the chairs, dragging it with me and placed it next to the fountain, but just as I were about to climb up on it I heard my mother yelling for me. I hesitated slightly on wether or not I should run back or finish my mission, but her endless yelling my name I sighed heavily as I got back down again, trying to find the rigt way back to the front of the house.

 

"It's getting pretty late now, what do you say we go out to eat, huh?", she sat down to reach my height level. "There's still a lot to do in the kitchen so mommy can't really cook today, you don't mind eating outside today, right?", she smiled at me, ruffling my hair. I just nodded. She yelled for my dad as he got the car keys,  it was already getting dark outside and the ride downtown didn't take more than fifteen minutes. My parents really wanted to eat at some fancy restaurant but I'd prefer to eat at McDonald's, but as my mom says "Hamburgers and fries aren't good for you, you need to eat proper food", what ever proper food is, I don't know. Not burgers and fries apparently.

 

We found this cosy little restaurant that didn't require any booking. We got out booth and ordered in the food. My parents only talked about the new house and my mother tried to convince my father how to decorate the rooms her way, because that way is the best way according to her. Me on the other hand, only poked at my food, looking around the dim lit restaurant. I don't understand what's so good about these places, you have to wear fancy clothes and know how to use the five hundered different silware, you had to speak properly and always sit with your back straight. I so much better prefer McDonald's. Their food taste better and I don't have to care about how I look, speak, eat or sit.

 

I let out a loud sigh followed by the question "Are we going home soon?", in which my mother frowned and just told me we'll leave in ten minutes. And ten minutes means at least an hour for her..

 

Finally back home my mother showed me up to my new room. I'm not even sure how the whole house looks like yet, I just know that I'm way too tired to even explore anything now, I'll leave that for the next morning.

~*~*~*~*~

A week finally past and I'm slowly starting to get used to the huge house. I still do get lost sometimes, but in the end I always find my way back.

 

It was already past noon and I went into the kitchen to find my mother cooking. "What are you doing?", I asked her, leaning through the doorway curiously. "I'm preparing for dinner tonight my dear.", she smiled at me. "Already?", I asked confused as I looked up at the clock hanging on the wall, pretening that I actuall understood what it said. "Yeah, we have invited our new neighbors over tonight, fun right?", she sounded genuinely excited. "Neighbors? You mean new people?", I asked her again. "Yes Kibum, new people." "Do I have to meet them?", I asked in an almos inaudible voice. I heard her drop the knife in his hands into the sink and dried her hands on the towel hanging from her apron before she walked over to me, crouched down to reach my height. "I know you're really shy and don't really like meeting new people, but it will be good for you. You always need someone to hang out with, right?", she gave me a small smile as she ruffled my hair gently. "I even think they have a kid around your age as well, you can make a new good friend!", she grinned and got up again, patting my back twice and told me to go and clean up my room before the guests arrive tonight. "I don't like new people!", I yelled and ran away, heading for the staricase to go to my room.

~*~*~*~*~

Third person POV

 

 The doorbell rang once as the door to the Kim's home opened. "Hi! Come in, come in!", Kibum's mother, Nari, greeted happily as she welcomed the guests. "Welcome!", his father, Sungho greeted as he shook their hands. Accepting their gift, an exclusive bottle of wine and a flower bouguet. "Hi, I'm Kim Misook.", the lady introduced her self politely, shaking hands. "Kim Jinho.", the father of the other family said politelty. "And this is my son, Kim Jonghyun.", their father introduced them with a proud smile as he looked at him bow politely, letting out a loud "Hello sir".

 

Greeting exchanged and they made their way to the dining hall. "Kibummie!", Nari yelled for her son who refused to come downstairs. "Excuse me just a second.", she excused herself from the table quickly to run upstairs and look for her son. She knocked on his bedroom door lightly and turned the knob. "Kibum?" No answer. "Kibum honey, the guests are here.", she said in a calm voice, slowly walking inside and over to his bed. "You should come downstairs, they want to meet you.", she smiled, placing a hand on his small body as she sat on the edge of the bed. "I don't wanna.", Kibum mumbled. Nari let out a sigh. "I know you're a little bit uncomfortable around people at first, but they really want to meet you.", she said in a cheerful voice. "No.", Kibum replied stubbornly. "You come downstair and I'll let you have McDonald's tomorrow, okay?", Nari tried to bribe him. "Fine.", he mumbled into his pillow, sitting up with regret. "Thank you.", she smiled at him, kissing his forehead. "Come one, let's go.", she said happily as she stretched out her hand for him to take.

 

"Sorry about that, he's really shy.", Nari explained as she came back downstairs with her son. "This is Kibum. Say hello Kibummie." "Hi.", he said in an almost inaudible voice, not looking up and giving a small bow towards the guests, not even letting go of his mother's hand.

 

The dinner was full of cheerful talk and laughter and hours went by fast. Only one not talking being Kibum. He only answered a few questions he got asked every now and then, but he mostly just nodded or shook his head. "You two should go and play.", Kibum's father, Sungho suggested. Jonghyun smiled brightly as he got down from the chair, looking around happily. Kibum on the other hand was very hesitant, but his father kept telling him he should go and play, get to know new people and make new friends. Shaking slightly, Kibum climbed down from the chair, carefully walking out the dining room with a happy Jonghyun walking along.

 

"Hey can I see your room?", Jonghyun asked really excited. "M-mh.", Kibum hummed embarrassed. He kept playing with the hem of his shirt and not even looking up. He walked slowly and barely said anything the entire way, while Jonghyun commented everything he saw. When finally reaching the door to his room, Kibum opened it and just walked inside, mumbling a very low "This is my room.", as he sat down on his bed. "Woah~!!", Jonghyun uttered impressed. "I've always wanted these! I can't believe you got all six?!", Jonghyun said amazed as he climbed up on a chair to look closer at them, playing around. While Jonghyun were busy looking around Kibum's room and play with every toy he found, Kibum just sat there on the edge of his bed, looking. Jonghyun grabbed a toy airplane and started making noises as he made it fly around the room, in which he ran around everywhere. He pretended to crash land it into Kibum, who just looked shocked at the whole occasion. "Waah! The plane crashed into the huge building! Mayday, mayday, we have a plane down! Send rescue!", Jonghyun was way into the little game he was playing, totally amused. "Come on, play with me.", he pouted sadly as Kibum did nothing to play along. Kibum just looked at him, blinking a few times and then looked away, back to play with the hem of his shirt. "You don't want to play with planes?", Jonghyun asked, no answer. "Want to play with something else?", he asked again, no answer. "We can.. draw? Do you want to draw?", he asked a third time. Kibum just blushed embarrassed, too shy to even talk to him. "Or do you just want to sit there?", Jonghyun asked again, yet no answer. Jonghyun put away the toy plane where he found it and ran over to the bed again, climbing into it and sat down next to Kibum.

 

Kibum looked up at him confsed but the othr boy just smiled back brightly. Kibum, being the shy boy he is, quickly looked away and stared into the floor again, Jonghyun doing the same. It got really silent and you could hear the laughter from their parents downstairs. "Do you always do this?", Jonghyun suddenly asks, looking to his side to face Kibum. "Huh?", Kibum looked up with a blushing face. "Don't you like playing with toys?", Jonhyun asked again. Kibum just nodded. "Then why don't you wanna play with me?", he pouted. "I-I..", Kibum stuttered, but that was all he said before staring down the floor again. Jonghyun got up from the bed and stood in front of him, reaching out his hand. The shy boy slowly looked up at him confused and embarrassed.

 

"Hi, my name is Jonghyun, nice to meet you.", he grinned happily. "K-Kibum.", he stuttered as he carefully shook the other boys hand. "We should probably start by getting to know each other.", Jonghyun said as he sat right down onto the floor in front of the embarrassed boy. "I'm six years old, my favorite color is blue, I really like cars and watching Power Rangers. I also love food but I cannot cook. I also enjoy drawing but I'm not that good at it. Now your turn.", the boy smiled brightly at Kibum who finally gave off the smallest smile, looking up at the boy every now and then. "I-..I'm five and I like pink. I love Pororo and I think drawing is really fun..", he said embarrassed, his voice getting lower for every word. "So you also like drawing? Shall we draw then?", Jonghyun asked happily, Kibum hesitated a little but nodded. "Where do you have you drawing stuff!", the happy boy exclaimed as he quickly stood up, looking around the room to find out where Kibum hid it. "Over there.", Kibum replied in a low voice as he carefully walked over to his little desk bu the end of the room, grabbing a bunch of paper, colorpencils and marker. "Do you want to sit here or there?", Kibum finally spoke up, pointed at his desk or back to the floor in which Jonghyun sat before. "I like lying on my stomach while drawing!", the other boy said excited as he ran back to his spot and laid down on the floor, waiting for Kibum to come over with the stuff.

 

They drew for a long time and Kibum started to be more and more open and really started to get along with the other boy just fine. He talked more and I think Jonghyun was just as proud as Kibum as they never stopped talking. It's amazing how much kids have to talk about. But their amazing time together finally came to an end when they both heard Jonghyun's mother, Misook call for him.

 

"Jonghyunnie! It's time to go home!" Jonghyun didn't answer her, he just whined. They heard steps approaching closer and closer until both their mothers stood in the doorway. "Jonghyunnie, time to go honey.", Misook smiled at him. "No!", Jonghyun replied stubborn as he laid face down on the floor, refusing to move. "It's getting late, you need to sleep.", Misook tried to convince him. "I don't wanna.", he whined. "Honey we have no time for this okay, you can come back another day?", she told him but he refused to listen. "No. I wanna play more with Kibum. He's fun.", Jonghyun poute angrily and crossed his arm as he sat up. "You can play more another day, it's time to go home." "No." Nari walked up to him and crouched down. "If you want to, I think Kibum would be very happy if you came back to play with him tomorrow, would't you Kibummie?", she smiled at her son who nodded eagerly. "Let's play again tomorrow hyung, okay?", Kibum smiled at him. Jonghyun's angry pout turned into a frown as he let out a "Fine.". "See you tomorrow Kibum!", he waved at him as his mother gabbed his free hand and led him down the stairs together. "See you!", Kibum yelled back. "See? Told you you'd make new friends. Is it fun to play with Jonghyun?", Nari asked him happily, Kibum just nodded over and over again with a huge grin on his face. "Really fun."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N Okay, so this is the first chapter, not really sure how much of their childhood will be a part of the story, not that much interesting can happen in a kids life, or maybe I just don't have enough creativity, hahah! Anyway, feel free to comment what you think, knowing I have people who enjoy reading it will always help my motivation !! ㅅㅂㅅ