Two

Photograph [Broken Memories #2]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan sat on her bed, looking through her contacts.  She didn’t want to bother Seulgi, knowing that she had a date with Jongin.  Since it was Saturday, Sooyoung would be doing tennis training until nightfall.  That left her with two options: Joohyun or Sehun.  In that circumstance, there really was only one option because there was no way she would ever hang out with Oh Sehun on a weekend by choice.  That left her with calling Joohyun over.

When she got off the phone, she left her bedroom and padded down the stairs.  Her parents sat on the couch watching television.  Her older brother was nowhere in sight.  He was the one that had a very active dating life.  It wasn’t as if her brother was a huge playboy.  He’d brought home a few serious girlfriends before, but that wasn’t very often.  At least he had someone to bring home to meet from time to time. 

“Is it okay if Joohyun comes over for a little while?  And please don’t say no because she’s already on her way over,” Seungwan requested, attempting her best puppy dog eyes look. 

“Of course, but next time you should ask before you invite.  What if we had plans that you didn’t know about?” her mom instructed.

“Okay mom.  Next time I’ll ask.  I promise,” Seungwan said.  Whether it was a promise she could keep was a different question. 

Seungwan smiled and skipped to the kitchen.  She raided the pantry for snacks and took them up to her room.  By the time she’d brought out a pile of cheesy romantic comedy movies the two of them could watch, the doorbell rang.  She bounded down the stairs and opened the front door.  Joohyun was there, wearing a pair of ratty old black sweat pants and a faded blue shirt.  Seungwan was dressed similarly.  They grinned at each other and Seungwan laughed at how ironic it was that two of the most popular girls in school looked like slobs. 

“Come in.  I’ve got a TV in my bedroom and a pile movies to binge watch,” Seungwan said, stepping aside.

Joohyun laughed.  “What should we watch first?”

They looked at each other and signaled to each other to say it at the same time.  “She’s All That!”

With that, the two of them ran up the stairs and into Seungwan’s bedroom, crashing onto the bed with excitement.  It was a favorite for the four of them, not just Seungwan and Joohyun.  It was a movie they could all agree on to watch during sleepovers and though it was an old movie, it was romantic and sappy.  They loved how a popular boy could take a loser girl and find something worth loving in her.  Other people would find them foolish for liking it and insist on that newer movies of the action variety were better.  It was incredibly cheesy and girly but they were girls and there was nothing wrong with liking a movie like that.

Joohyun settled into a comfortable position while Seungwan got up to put the disc into the DVD player.  She brought a back of chips and two cans of soda to the bed and then closed the door.  She didn’t want her parents to burst in on their movie marathon.  The movie began playing and soon the two of them were lost in the story.  Around the midway point, Joohyun got up to use the bathroom and when she came back, she look at Seungwan contemplatively.

“I wonder when our love stories will happen, don’t you?” she wondered out loud.

Seungwan chuckled, bothered by the comment.  “We’re seventeen.  It’s not like we have to think about love like that.”

“But you want something like that, right?  The way Zach falls for Laney in this movie.  Even something like what Jongin and Seulgi have.  A love like that is worth living for,”  Joohyun mused.

“I think as we live we’re fortunate to find something like that.  But I don’t think we need love to live,” Seungwan replied. 

She’d been living just fine up until now.  Loving only led to heartbreak and that kind of pain was unbearable.  She was content to never go through the prospect of love or like just to find that one connection that could last forever.  That wasn’t appealing because the pain wasn’t worth it. 

“Look he’s about to do the hackey sack thing,” she pointed out to Joohyun, changing the topic.

They laughed at how stupid some of the scenes were and cried when Laney found out the truth.  The ending was great every freaking time they watched, pulling at their emotions like the goddamn girls they were.

Movie after movie passed until it was time for dinner.  Joohyun was invited to stay and she was thankful that her family liked her friends.  Her parents could get along without Seungwan even being there.  It was fortunate that her oldest friends were basically family.  Of course there were certain limitations but as far as Seungwan was concerned, if she didn’t have those three best friends, she didn’t have friendshi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter