Five

My Love

The house was so quiet. I felt lonely already. I miss her already.

Is this how she lived when I was gone? I looked around the house and everything was nice and tidy because of Haneul. If it wasn’t for her then the house would be a big mess. And now I must step up and clean the house myself. When Haneul comes back I don’t want her to do anything. I want to spend some time with her and let her rest.

I stood up and headed towards the laundry room. I opened the lid to the washing machine and drying machine before I put the clothes inside. Just like Haneul said I looked at the labels first before I dried them. After I put in the fabric softener and the machine I headed upstairs with the clothes that needed to be hung dried and hung them.

I started to head downstairs again and this time all that was heard was the drying machine and my footsteps. A sigh escaped my lips again before I headed to the kitchen. Everything was nice and tidy as usual. Before Haneul went she washed, rinsed, dried, and put the dishes away already so I wouldn’t have to do it. Everything was where it needed to be. I didn’t know what to do. I headed back to the living room and sat down on the couch. I sat in silence for a couple of seconds then my phone started to ring. I dug it out of my back pocket and read who was calling me: Cho Haneul. She’s calling me already? Maybe she forgot something. I pressed the green button.

“Hello?”

“Why? Why are you doing this,” I heard Haneul shout at the other end of the line.

What was going on?

“I’m just doing what’s best for you,” mother said.

“When I didn’t want to marry him you said it’ll be best for me if I married him.”

“You didn’t want to marry him. Your dream is coming true aren’t you happy?”

Dream coming true? Are they saying that Haneul and I are getting a divorce?

“No! No! No, I’m not! I grew to like him. I’m fond of him now. He doesn’t bother me anymore.”

My heart increased as I heard Haneul said that. She liked me. But that was not the situation right now. Her parent’s were trying to separate us.

“But he’s a bully and doesn’t protect you.”

“Mom, what are you talking about?”

“I heard what happened when you left him with his friends to go to the zoo.”

“He came and got me.”

“Why would he do that in the first place?”

“He was preparing dinner for me and didn’t want me to know. He wanted to thank me for all I’ve done for him and his family.”

“Doesn’t sound like it to me.”

“Mom! Dad, are you not going to do anything about this?”

“Sorry, honey. I agree with your mother.”

“This doesn’t make sense at all!” Haneul sounded frustrated and so was I.

“This makes perfect sense. You can’t meet him. You can’t call him.”

“Mom!”

“Give me your phone.”

“Mom!”

“Now!”

I hung up. I didn’t want mother to know that I was listening to their conversation.

Haneul isn’t coming back.

Is this a dream or reality?

I can’t live without Haneul.

I loved her.

What am I to do?

For the next few days all I did was stay home.

I wanted to call her, but I knew her mother confiscated her phone. They do have a home phone, but I wouldn’t want to risk the chance. What if her mother or father picks up?

But my curiousity is getting to me: how is she doing? Is she eating? Is she sleeping? This isn’t getting to her as much as it’s getting to me right?

Today, I didn’t know what to do.

Five days have gone by, but it feels like a century.

I’ve cleaned the house, I’ve done the dishes, and the laundry, but half the day hasn’t even gone by yet.

The house is still quiet and it’s starting to get irritating. I wanted Haneul back, but I don’t have the guts to call her or her parents.

Am I even a man? I don’t deserve to be one. I can’t even keep my wife by my side without upsetting my in laws.

The next day as I finished eating my scrambled eggs and toast along with a glass of milk I headed towards the living room when all of a sudden my phone rings. I dug it out of my back pocket and looked at who was calling me. It was my parent’s home phone. Should I pick it up? Of course I should. They probably want to talk to me about Haneul and when they do I can persuade them to bring Haneul back. I pressed the green button and held the phone against my ear.

“Hello?” I said into it.

I waited for a reply, but there was no answer. Still, I waited for one. I’m not going to lose this chance to talk to them even though I’m nervous and don’t really know where to begin with them.

“Hi.”

My heart stopped for a second.

Haneul? It’s Haneul. She called me. Are they letting her come back?

“Have you been well,” she asked me.

“Mmm.” Was all I could say.

I wanted to say I missed her, I loved her, I wanted her to come back, but I can’t say those out loud. Why can’t I? Why can’t I just say those simple words to her? This is why she’s not by my side. Because of me and my fear to express my feelings.

“Have you been eating your meals regularly?”

We’re in this situation and all she can say was that? She doesn’t deserve me at all. Wait, she doesn’t know that I know.

“Mmm.”

“I’m glad you’re fine.”

“Are you having a good time?”

“Actually,” she said after a long pause. “I have something to tell you.”

“Your parent’s opposed to our marriage?”

“How did you know,” she asked shocked.

“You called me when you were having the argument with your mother the day they came to pick you up.”

“I called you?”

I nodded even though I know she couldn’t see me.

“I don’t remember calling you.”

“You probably dialed me then.”

“I’m sorry. They’ve been very strict and won’t let me leave unless I have a supervisor with me. They took away my phone and won’t let me contact you. They went out just now so I took the opportunity to call you. I don’t know when they will be back.”

I can hear her crying. I wanted to comfort her. I wanted to hold her in my embrace, but I couldn’t.

“Don’t cry.” Was all I can say.

“How can I not? I miss you, Leo.”

She missed me and I missed her too.

A tear escaped my eye.

“I don’t want to get you in deeper trouble.” I said trying to hide my trembling voice.

“I know.”

“But I promise you I’ll come get you. I’ll talk to them and clear up anything that is unclear to them.”

“I tried already they won’t listen to me.”

“Maybe they’ll listen to me. Promise me you won’t go anywhere. Wait for me.”

“I promise.”

I can just imagine her nodding her head.

And with that the line went silent.

I shoved my phone in my back pocket again and wiped my wet eyes, but the tears only kept coming. I sighed and took a deep breath. I growled and ran my fingers threw my hair. And for once I cried, I cried my eyes out. I wished Haneul was here. I wished everything could go back to what they were like in the past.  

I walked to our bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed. I looked at the spot on our bed that Haneul slept on. My eyes then diverted to the desk that held one of our pictures together. I got up and walked over to pick it up. It was the picture of when we went on that picnic with my parents. Haneul was holding a sandwich in her extended hand that was reaching out to me. I remember she was handing that sandwich for me to eat, but I was looking out in the distance. She kept calling my name and insisted that I eat it, that was when mom took the picture. Of course I eventually accepted the sandwich from her and it was delicious. Haneul had woken up extra early that day to make sure everything was in place. That was actually that best day I’ve ever had and the days after that got better and better. Until a couple days ago when her parents came and got her.

I feel like I’m living in hell without her.

I set the picture down and looked up to see our wedding picture hanging right on top of the desk.

She was smiling widely as she held her bouquet of flowers while I was trying to smile, but awkwardly. Now that I look at the photo of us, I hate it. I can tell that the both of us were forcing our awkward smiles.

I went back to the bed and lied down.

What is there to do on a day like today?

Even when Haneul was still with me all I ever did was stay in our room, but that was only because I didn’t know how to approach her. I was awkward around her even though I didn’t want to be. If I ever get her back I’ll change myself, but for now I have to call her parents.

I sat up and took out my phone ready to dial my in laws cellphone when all of a sudden my phone started to ring. It was HakYeon. I pressed the green button and and put the phone against the ear.

“Hello.”

“What? Are you having too much fun with your wife that you forgot about us,” HakYeon asked.

I sighed and closed my eyes. “Don’t start with me. I’m not in the mood for your joke.”

“Oh, what’s wrong? Is sister in law giving you a hard time?”

“I said I’m not in the mood for your jokes.”

“I wasn’t joking this time. What’s wrong?”

I sighed and opened my eyes again. “What do I do HakYeon? Haneul isn’t here anymore.”

“What do you mean? What happened? What did you do to sister in law?”

“I didn’t do anything. Not that I’m aware of at least.”

“Stop beating around the bush and just tell me. What happened?”

“Her parent’s came by and took her from me. She’s at their house right now. Her mother confiscated her phone so I can’t even contact her. HakYeon, what do I do?”

“You miss her?”

I sighed and nodded. “Mmm.”

“You’re in love with her?”

“Mmm.” I said after a short pause.

“Our Taekwoon has fallen in love.” It seemed as if he shouted that over the phone and everyone in this entire world could here him.

My cheeks felt hot all of a sudden.

“Shut up. I said I’m not in the mood for your jokes.”

“But I’m not joking. I’m happy for you.”

“Just tell me what to do.” I said lying down on my back on the bed.

“Should I come over with the guys or should you come to us?”

“I’ll come to you. I can’t stand being alone in this house anymore.”

“See you at my apartment then.”

I hung up and sat up before I shoved my phone into my pocket and went to grab my keys and wallet then finally headed out.