What Brought Us Together

So Meant To Be
Please log in to read the full chapter

        I can’t believe I’m getting married today. This last year has been absolutely crazy. My life has headed in a direction I never expected it would. I’ve actually known my soon-to-be husband since we were five. We had been friends since then. Our relationship was a love-hate type, even though we were always there for each other, we fought a ton. Most people would have figured that we would have tried to date at least once by the time we were twenty, let alone 22, but until 18 months ago, that was the farthest thing from being on my mind. In all honesty, I was engaged to someone else. I had been dating him since the last year of high school. Baekhyun had never really dated, but I knew he messed around. I was so excited about my wedding then, I was blissfully unaware of the things going on behind my back, but now, I was glad that everything turned out the way it did.

         Everything really changed the day I decided to surprise my then fiancé at his apartment. I’d never felt such intense heartbreak before. The whole time, he’d been cheating on me. At first, I was too humiliated to tell my family; my parents had always been suspicious of him but I assured them that they were wrong. I was so afraid to see how they would react to the news. So, the first person I ran to was Baekhyun because I knew that he would always be there. For once, I was right.

          At the time, we were both still in college; it was our third year of being undergrads and life was busy. But, he dropped everything to help me get over it all. Thanks to his support, I recovered in like four months. I finally worked up the courage to tell my parents because I was no longer worried about their response.

          During the time after my breakup, I had also moved in with Baekhyun and I think that was really when everything started to fall into place. We spent a lot more time together than we had in recent years and I told him things that I hadn’t admitted to anyone else ever before. While I felt bad about invading his space, I learned a lot about him. Since I had been so focused on my relationship before, I had missed out on most of the inner-workings of my best friend’s life.

           After about six months of cohabitation, I decided that I should stop accepting so much kindness; I had stayed for too long. I was becoming far too attached; I was in love. I was afraid of how he would react if he found out. Would he think I was just using him as a rebound? Or that I was confused because he had been there when I was vulnerable? Even though I knew with almost too much certainty that it wasn’t about that, we he understand? So, once Saturday morning, I broke the news. I expected him to be over the moon about getting all his space back

Please log in to read the full chapter