Six

그림의 떡 (A Picture of a Rice Cake)

Baekhyun and I used to be inseparable. Our mother's were sisters, and since my mom was a single mother Baekhyun's mother took that as an opportunity to raise us together. We lived in the same apartment complex in Busan, way before my mother moved to Seoul and I left to study abroad in the states.

Baekhyun was my one and only friend when I was a child. My lack of a father made my family and I a laughing stock to the unusually cruel 6 and 7 year olds at school. It didn't matter if I had the best clothes or toys; without a father somehow  I was lacking.

To protect my mother I put on a facade that I was happy and not being bullied ruthlessly everyday at school. The only light that I had was Baekhyun. Unlike me, he was well liked and everyone's favorite. Although he could've easily abandoned me and played with the other children, he chose to stay by my side instead. People ridiculed him as we got older, but he never wavered.

In middle school, if his girlfriend didn't like me, he would dump her. He cut off anyone in his life that wouldn't accept me. I joined any club he was in, our mothers had it arranged that our schedule was the same. Every waking moment was spent with Baek. I was devastated when my mom announced that I was leaving to study abroad.

When I first returned, my mom had warned me that Baekhyun had changed. He now went to a private school and his family moved to Ulsan. But I never got the chance to see him, so I didn't know whether or not that was the case.

Now I know she was telling the truth.

Because the Byun Baekhyun standing before me with a smug smile on his face clad in designer clothing with thick eyeliner and sandy brown hair, was not the Byun Baekhyun I left two years previously. His entire aura screamed untouchable and just the way he stood with a hand casually placed on his hip told you he was a diva.

When Chanyeol had said that Baekhyun was "Queen " I had thought he was crazy. But now the title seemed fitting.

"Are you not going to say anything to your favorite cousin?" He teased, reaching over to pinch my cheek. I swatted his hand away, eyebrows furrowing.

What the hell happened to Baek?

"You sure changed a lot." I said slowly. He quirked an eyebrow and narrowed his eyes. I felt my skin crawl. This wasn't right.

"I don't know what you mean Sungmin." His voice was cold, and his expression reflected his chilly attitude.

"You're not fluffy and cute, or innocent and bright anymore." I pushed, taking a step back towards the door I entered. I had been excited to see my cousin, but now I wanted nothing more than to go to Geometry. I was already late.

"The old me was weak. Now I am strong." I scoffed.

"The old you was liked by everyone." He snorted.

"I'm still liked by everyone. I'm hot, people want to be me." I shook my head.

"That just means everyone lusts after you, not genuinely like you."

The silence that followed was thick and threatened to suffocate. Baekhyun's heavily line eyes bore into mine. And deep within his rippling irises I caught a flash of what looked like sadness.

"Nobody is genuine anymore." His voice was firm and stance unmoving. He signalled to Chanyeol, who opened the door behind me, "It's sad to see who you've become. But that can't be helped considering the company you keep. You should go to class." I nodded curtly, somewhat unnerved by the fact I was being dismissed by my own family. But before I left I had one last thing to say.

"I don't know why you hate my friends so much, but they already have made a better impression than you." I said lowly, turning on my heel and walking out of the empty art room.

 

"Kyungsoo, leave." Baekhyun growled after his cousin had left. Kyungsoo complied, closing the door gently behind him, leaving Chanyeol with Baekhyun.

"Are you okay Baek?" The worry was evident in his voice.

"I don't know how much longer I can do this." Baekhyun's voice cracked, tears streaming down his face. Chanyeol crossed the room in three steps, enveloping Baekhyun in his long arms and burying his face in his hair.

This wasn't anything new in Chanyeol's life. Everyday he would end up holding Baekhyun while he cried, wiping the tears from his eyes and kissing the pain away. But his comfort never lasted long until Baekhyun was back to being broken, back to being cold and cruel. He wished Baekhyun would just drop the act, it was painfully obvious how much it hurt him. Chanyeol loved Baek too much to allow him to cause himself so much pain, but at the same time he didn't know how to fix things. Baekhyun refused to tell the younger the entire situation, so how could he end his love's pain?

This wasn't anything new in Chanyeol's life, and it was slowly killing him.

 

"Would you care to explain why you are twenty minutes late Sungmin ssi." Mr. Lee didn't sound threatening, but the look he was giving me said otherwise.

"I was at the nurse." I was never good at lying on the spot. Mr. Lee looked less than convinced.

"Next time I expect you to have a note Park." He dismissed me and I hurried to sit down. I could feel Namjoon's questioning gaze but I was not in the mood to confront him or answer any questions. Thankfully he didn't try to talk to me. The remaining class went by slowly, but at least it gave my time to finish some of the homework I had gotten yesterday. The dismissal bell rung, and I slowly packed my things. I planned to walk to Choir by myself, even though Namjoon also had the class with me. But considering the fact we barely shared more than fleeting greetings, it felt weird to accompany one another longer than necessary. So you can understand my surprise when Namjoon stood next to me, waiting patiently with a shy smile blessing his plump lips.

"Mind me walking with you?" He asked, voice timid. I nodded slowly. I had wanted to say no, but my mind obviously had other plans. "I've missed you." It came out softly, but I heard it loud and clear. I stopped in my tracks, nails digging into the straps of my back pack.

"No.. I can't do this." I mumbled, shaking my head frantically. I had avoided Namjoon for this very reason. Something as innocent as an I miss you had my heart pounding in my chest and butterflies erupting in my stomach.

It hurt to be so infatuated with someone who was a polar opposite of you, someone who didn't even like men.

"What do you mean?" His voice was soft and warm, embracing me in a comfort I didn't want to feel. Kim Namjoon made it hard to stay away. No matter how far I pushed the feelings down; one smile had me reeling in his wake and the love I felt for him exploding like fireworks.

"You're too much for me Namjoon. You're on another planet and no matter how hard I try I'll never be there with you." The words confused myself, but Namjoon somehow nodded in understanding.

"I think we're more alike than you think." He finally said shrugging. He opened the door to the Choir room, "Everyone has missed you, not just me. Yoongi can't stand the fact you room together but he never sees you." I chuckled.

"I was under the assumption that everyone hated me."

Namjoon snorted, "We couldn't hate you even if we wanted to."

It felt good to be back. I was welcomed again with open arms and it was almost as if I had never left. But I couldn't help but notice the way Baekhyun glared at me the entire Choir class. The others didn't fail to notice either.

"Did something happen?" Jimin questioned, looking between a helpless me and a fuming Baekhyun. I sighed in defeat.

"He's not the cousin I remember. He's changed, for the worst."

"I tried to tell you that!" Taehyung waved his arms in the air, almost taking out Yoongi.

", be careful V." Yoongi hissed, tucking himself in Hoseok's side. I internally squealed at the skinship.

"Where's Jin?" I suddenly noticed the absence of the muscle hyung. A strange silence settled over the others and Taehyung looked blankly at his desk.

"I don't know where Jin is. He hasn't spoke to me, at all." Taehyung scrunched up his face, looking as if on the verge of tears. I sat there awkwardly, not sure of how to approach the situation. Jimin nudged me in the side and shook his head, almost as if saying ''don't you even dare say anything else."

So I didn't, and neither did anyone else. Everyone was silent, only the sounds of the teacher Ms. Park lecturing us on our next project and Taehyung sniffling. I had a feeling whatever was wrong with Jin had to do with the mood he was in on the second day of school.

 

Jin couldn't bring himself to face Taehyung anymore.

Every morning, before anyone else was awake, Jin would walk around campus.

Every morning he would find Taehyung ing around with some random guy (and sometimes multiple men) and always with an seductive smile on his face.

Every morning Jin began to hate himself more and more. Because no matter how many times he tried to convince himself otherwise, there was no denying that every man Taehyung hooked up with had one thing in common: they were nothing like himself. Never was he with someone who was the same height, or build, or any other physical attributes that could resemble Jin whatsoever. It was almost as if Taehyung looked for people that had no resemblance to Jin.

Which shot a hole straight through Jin's heart. He couldn't bear the thought of facing V. He was afraid that if he did, he wouldn't be able to stop himself from confronting Taehyung about his flings, which would lead to him having to say he ing watched. Even to himself that sounded wrong and incredibly creepy.

So his solution was to avoid Taehyung like the plague, even if it meant skipping any classes they shared. And it worked, but because he was too busy building a wall to protect himself, he never noticed how Taehyung was hurting too.

 

I didn't see more than a glimpse of Jin. He didn't eat in the cafeteria with us anymore, and he didn't attend any class we had together with Taehyung. It seemed as if Jin was avoiding Taehyung, and it was drastically affecting the latter. There wasn't a day that went by where Taehyung didn't have dark bags under his eyes. I suspected he didn't sleep. (Of course at this time I didn't know about Taehyung's late night affairs, but I would find out soon enough.) Yoongi and I had tried several times to talk to Jin, going as far as visiting his dorm room. But every time his roommate Jaebum would answer, always saying that Jin wasn't there, even.though half the time we could make him.out laying under the duvet on his bed.

Taehyung was the same, one mention of Jin and he would just stare blankly at the wall or desk. We learned quickly to just not bring him up anymore.

"I'm so ing tired of this!" Jimin slammed his hand on the table, causing Jungkook to flinch. Recently Taehyung had stopped eating in the cafeteria as well, saying he was getting extra help for some classes. "Oh, I am so sorry Kookie, did I scare you?" He cooed, ruffling the maknae's hair.

"No. Now get off."

"Aigoo~ I am your hyung!" Jimin whined, puffing out his cheeks and crossing his arms. I chuckled, already used to Jimin acting so cute around Jungkook. After Jungkook's speech about rice cakes, we never revisited what was said or done at the gathering in Hoseok's room. Not that I minded, the less I had to relive making out with Yoongi, the better.

"I agree with Jimin. We need to fix things between Taehyung and Jin." Hoseok smiled mysteriously, "And I have the perfect plan."

"Oh no, I don't like the looks of this." Yoongi groaned.

"Hey, it's better than doing nothing." Hoseok snapped, pointing his chopsticks at his boyfriend.

"Fair enough." I said, "Now what is your brilliant plan?"

 

Turns out the perfect plan was to lock Jin and V in a classroom together with me to act as the mediator. I was blatantly against it.

"No." I said firmly. Hoseok groaned.

"What do you mean no?!"

"I mean no as in 1) I'm not getting myself into this mess, 2) Why should it be me when you have know them both way longer than I have and 3) hell no."

"But hyung~!" I turned to see Jungkook giving me a look that rivaled that of a kicked puppy.

I never could say no to puppies.

 

Which explains how I ended up locked in a room with Namjoon and Baekhyun.


Wait, what?!

 

A/N I don't know what I'm doing with my life anymore. I meant to solve the problems but somehow I just caused more drama?

Why am i such a drama queen? OTL

But look! An super early update! Usually I take forever to write, but the positive vibes you guys have been sending me with your comments just gave me The motivation to write, so thanks! Sorry if the chapter was ty, but I hope you liked it! 

No promises, but I'll try to update more!

사랑해요 

Aflower54