hatred for sunny days

Lucky Karma

Kyungsoo hated sunny days, He hated the way the birds woke at an earlier time and started their relentless squawking, interrupting the precious and few hours he had for sleep. They were creatures straight from hell. He hated the strong rays of rebellious sun that would break through the barrier of his curtains and irritate his already sensitive, drowsy vision while he tried to chew his bland breakfast.  He hated how stuffy everything felt, rooms filled with humid, moist air that grew rapidly to the point opening every window in the apartment was his only option of escaping it. With that, came the annoying presence of mosquitos and various species of flies that hung around for days since Kyungsoo didn't have the time to sentence them all to death.

He despised how bright and friendly people were in the morning, whereas on dark and bitter days everyone's mood seemed to reflect the weather. Just a simple action like walking down the street turned into a tedious chore; dodging every nosy neighbors and student. Kyungsoo hated how they always smiled and waved, despite his previous harsh comments, so content with a life that was monotonous when he was trapped in the exact same situation, only miserable. He hated how the students levels below him would move too slowly on the path, loud and obnoxious and he couldn't pass because they blocked the entire space. Their shrill voices easily grated on his nerves and he ground his teeth to restrain the temper that hung on a thin tether. He hated the clear, blue sky that hovered above their heads, eyebrows and frown low when all he wanted was a thunder storm to suddenly appear.

The clothes he wore heated up too quickly under the sun, sweat clinging to any available crevice and fabric it found. He especially hated the fact that he couldn't turn around and head home to switch to his cleaner set of uniform, knowing that by the time he got down to his previous position, it'd be just as filthy. And there was also the added fact that he was, yet again, way behind schedule. He hated all the noise too and how it came from every direction; no escape. The whole atmosphere felt constricting and like a cornered, injured animal, he wanted to lash out at anything in his line of sight. Agitated was an understatement

It didn't help that he had woken extremely late this morning, bleary eyed and confused as he read the time on his phone. The alarms hadn't sounded and Kyungsoo was forced to hurry out of the house in a rush, still wearing the same uniform from the previous day and hoping no one noticed his disheveled appearance. Someone had messed with his phone's settings, he was sure of it. The alarms were set for everyday, a sharp signal that had helped organize his time and schedule. Except, today, they hadn't gone off. And whoever turned them off would feel the full impact of Do Kyungsoo's wrath.

The sun blinded Kyungsoo for a second and he stumbled, almost falling on his face, too distracted by the furious thoughts filling his head.

Kyungsoo despised sunny days with all his being.

As Kyungsoo finally managed to squeeze past the giggling girls in front of him, he quickened his pace with long, determined strides, hell burning within his dark eyes. Kyungsoo was on the war path and whoever got in his way, would surely be caught in the cross fire. Someone would severely pay for sabotaging his usual schedule.

Mouth set in a sour line, he quickly paced towards the school's entrance gate, hoping he would go unseen by the student population stationed there. He weaved his way through the crowd of lively students and switched his path towards the back entrance of the school upon noticing the group of people lounging around the front one. Due to his shorter height, he slunk around the school's builing unnoticed, walking in the shadow behind the field's bleachers. The further he moved from the court yard, the quieter it got and he relinquished in the only peace he had received that morning. Among the darkness, the sun was no longer a bother, either.

Kyungsoo blew out a small, tired breath, rubbing the palms of hands along his face. No longer fueled with the determination to get away from everyone's eyes, he slowed his pace and thumbed over the bags under his eyes absent-minded. He hoped they weren't that obvious, especially when he knew a certain someone would start lecturing him upon seeing them. A slight smile pulled his lips into a bow despite the contradiction of a roll of his eyes. By himself, there was no need for a mask and he let himself express his amusement openly at the fond memory of Baekhyun's fussing. Baekhyun was older than him by a couple of months and sometimes he took that fact a little too seriously. He'd somehow managed to crawl into Kyungsoo's private bubble and find out he was an independent youth and from then on, had taken the liberty of making sure Kyungsoo was taken care of.

It wasn't uncommon for students to live by themselves, especially if they were studying from abroad, so Kyungsoo wasn't exactly sure why Baekhyun made it his priority. It was just another thing to add to Kyungsoo's “Baekhyun's Unique Features” list. No matter how much he complained about Baekhyun's bickering, there was still a big piece of him that appreciated it, knowing it was Baekhyun's special way of expressing how much he cared. And Kyungsoo did care in return, but it was hard when he didn't know how to convey such feelings. Kyungsoo thought they were close; he knew almost every small detail about Baekhyun, but Baekhyun didn't share that entitlement. It was kind of impossible to when Kyungsoo didn't like sharing things.

Kyungsoo ran over the thought in his mind as he heaved open the door with effort, encasing himself in the tiny, dimly lit supply cupboard that connected the back entrance to the school building. It was dusty and the air was stale, the subtle smell of smoke wafting around him. The small room was dark and remote and it was no secret that it was where the school's local group of smokers would hang. That's why hardly anyone ever entered the building from this entrance. He passed through it quickly, arm pressed tightly under his nose to stop the stench from clogging his senses. He practically burst into the hallway, coughing slightly and trying to dull the light burn at the back of his throat.

Wiping his mouth on the sleeve of his shirt, Kyungsoo recovered swiftly and focused back on his task, eyeing the time on his phone with distaste. If he had gotten there earlier he could have visited the library to study more on an upcoming topic in English class, but with how things seemed to be going, he'd only have enough time to grab a few things from his locker before homeroom. Pursing his lips in annoyance, Kyungsoo started down the hallway, reminding himself that it was better than nothing. There wasn't anything he could gain from sitting around and moping about it.

After turning corners for what felt like an eternity, Kyungsoo finally found his locker among the maze like building. By now, the halls were beginning to fill with wandering students and Kyungsoo's spine went rigid at their relentless staring, facing his locker as his temper flared. He thought they would've stopped bothering him, or at least tamed down on their constant stares, but it was apparent that as long as he was “seeing” Jongin, nothing would dull their curiosity. It was all that stupid Jongin's fault.

Kyungsoo sighed, eyes downcast and mood growing even more bitter at the realization. He slammed his locker shut, practically stomping his feet like a child. Face pulled into an expression of irritation and discontentment that warned any onlookers to stay far away, he turned, roughly pulling his bag over his shoulders. Kyungsoo heard whispers, small words concealed by distance and he grumbled, upset, glaring down at the floor. Everyone wanted to get on his nerves today.

He was ready to set off to homeroom, already completely done with everything and wanting the day to pass as fast as possible, when a shrill voice shattered his fantasy.

Kyungsoo! Hey! Heeeey?! Over here! Soo!” The call echoed through out the hall and if everyone's eyes weren't already glued to him, they'd surely be now. Eyes squeezing shut in almost pain, Kyungsoo's head fell backwards in defeat, an exasperated groan escaping his throat. Why did he have to pick the worst time to interrupt? Patience; Kyungsoo reminded himself. Have patience and don't lash out.

Kyungsoo opened his eyes again, immediately spotting the excited body bounding towards him with a bright smile and grimaced, gripping the straps of his bag. That expression on Baekhyun's face- it didn't look good. Whatever thoughts swimming around in his friend's head didn't promise anything good for him. Still, Kyungsoo remained in his place, a strange sort of affection filling his hollow chest as Baekhyun advanced towards him. Baekhyun just had that effect on people; no one could resist such a cheerful, puppy eyed individual. And Baekhyun definitely knew how to work that to his advantage.

He strut straight up to Kyungsoo, confident and not at all effected by the judging eyes following him. Bracing himself for the worst, Kyungsoo leaned himself back, especially when Baekhyun immediately moved himself into his personal space. Baekhyun was uncomfortably close to his face, but Kyungsoo didn't say anything, waiting. The way Baekhyun's smile just grew was a gesture he recognized and Kyungsoo understood instantly, reading Baekhyun like he was an open book. Kyungsoo hadn't really realized how much he'd studied Baekhyun and how familiar even the smallest of gestures had become.

Kyungsoo nodded once and surprising almost everyone in the vicinity, he reached out and initiated the contact, gently grasping Baekhyun's forearm. He pulled them forward, ignoring the astounded looks they both received. It didn't really matter where they went, just so long as they could have a conversation quietly, but Kyungsoo found himself moving towards the direction of the library, feet taking him to a safe haven. When they had turned a few corners and entered a silent hall, Kyungsoo heard Baekhyun let out a giddy laugh and released his hold, slowing down a bit to walk beside him.

Kyungsoo angled his head so Baekhyun was in his line of vision, peering at him curiously when Baekhyun laughed again, open and happy. Baekhyun was always cheerful, but Kyungsoo felt like there was something behind it this time, not just his natural optimism. His friend's next actions confirmed Kyungsoo's suspicion. It was like Baekhyun couldn't contain his excitement, calm stride transforming into a little bounce that made Kyungsoo's mouth twitch with a ghost of a smile. The older male didn't look much like the “Mature Hyung” he so proudly claimed to be anymore, but he didn't seem bothered by it, swinging his arms freely by his side like a small child. It had Kyungsoo's mouth pulling into an unintentional full smile, his friend's positive energy easily influencing him.

With eyes wide in delight, Baekhyun looked at him for permission, attentive even when bursting with enthusiasm. Kyungsoo let out a small sound, something akin to a laugh and nodded, bracing himself for the sudden change in volume he knew was coming.

Baekhyun practically squealed, slight bounce in his step quickly morphing into a full jump, scrambling to grasp Kyungsoo's forearm tightly. He shook it with such vigor that Kyungsoo was swayed roughly in random directions, unable to contain his amusement and laughing freely and loud at his goofy friend. Pleased with the reaction he'd extracted from his younger companion, Baekhyun settled and smiled wide, eyes forming crescent moons and mouth taking the shape of a rectangle.

Oh my god, Soo. You'll never guess what happened- just- oh my god! It was so weird and unexpected and I literally felt like fainting- I mean, I was already close to fainting anyway, but then something wonderful happened and I- I feel like screaming! In excitement, of course, not like, dying screaming, but-”

Kyungsoo huffed, smile still shining on his face and quietened Baekhyun, the fondness he was currently feeling seeping into his voice even as he scolded. “Baekhyun, you're rambling.”

Baekhyun immediately snapped his mouth closed, blush coating his cheeks as he turned his gaze away, embarrassed. It was quiet for a second and then Kyungsoo spoke again, voice soft because he was actually enjoying Baekhyun's positive attitude. “I'd like to hear more when we get to the library.” He added, smile disappearing, but eyes encouraging and sincere while looking at his friend. Baekhyun nodded and inhaled deeply, seeming to collect his thoughts and emotions. The rest of the way was filled with silence, but neither were burdened by it.

 

Kyungsoo opened the door to the library quietly, arm keeping it ajar as he ushered Baekhyun ahead of him. Following soon after, he was welcomed by the calm and peaceful silence the empty space provided. He breathed it in, pausing for a second and straining; searching for any other sign of occupancy. The only sound that reached him was the lone and constant typing coming from where the librarian was stationed and he sighed, relieved. Baekhyun, like the head strong guy that he was, immediately took point, taking off to find an isolated corner they could use,

Kyungsoo hung back, gaze moving over to the librarian's desk and he chewed the inside of his cheek, debating whether or not to alert him of their presence. He clicked his tongue at the roof of his mouth and studied the desk for a brief moment, searching for a familiar face. Yifan's towering figure was hidden behind a large stack of books, however and there was the possibility that he could sneak past unnoticed if he tried. Baekhyun hadn't seemed bothered by it. Then again, Baekhyun didn't have a very good grasp on the concept of “right and wrong”.

Kyungsoo's conscious wouldn't let him go through with it, no matter how small the gesture was and he groaned under his breath. Why did he insist on being so nice? Rolling his shoulders once, he began to approach the front desk and took a sharp intake when he heard the continuous typing stop, a shadow suddenly moving behind a blockade of books. His stomach rolled with unease, but he smothered the feeling. He didn't have to be nervous around Yifan, even if Yifan did look like someone he should be intimidated by.

The tall figure finally revealed himself, sharp and downcast eyebrows furrowing upon noticing Kyungsoo. He bent down as Kyungsoo approached, leaning on an elbow with a single eyebrow raised, an expression Kyungsoo had grown accustomed to. Pieces of dark hair fell in front of his eagle eyes, but he didn't move, stoic as ever while he watched Kyungsoo move. Even though he'd known Yifan since he transferred to this school, it still slightly unnerved him how aggravated he always appeared.

They were face to face suddenly and Kyungsoo, even with Yifan bent, had to tilt his head to meet his gaze. Once he did, they held it, tense for some reason. It felt like Yifan was challenging him, but Kyungsoo quickly brushed away the thought. There was no valid reasoning behind it.

Just like usual, Yifan spoke first. “Pretty early to be in the library, even by your standards, Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo politely nodded, keeping his expression neutral . “Yeah, just here with a friend to find some examples of classic literature for English.” It surprised him how easily the lie slipped off his tongue. Kind of frightening, actually.

Yifan's gaze shifted to a place over Kyungsoo's shoulder and he squinted, eyes suspicious. “I didn't see him pass by.” Kyungsoo shrugged, trying to act nonchalant and wasn't sure if it was having an effect or not. Humming, Yifan returned his calculating gaze back down to the shorter boy in front of him. “Must be my eyesight...” He wondered out loud, expression thoughtful.

Yet again, Kyungsoo shrugged. He didn't have a better answer, still not that well versed when it came to open discussions. It was becoming quite the disadvantage.

Sighing, Yifan shifted, long fingers tapping mindlessly on the desk's surface. Kyungsoo wasn't revealing anything, but it was nothing new. It was how Kyungsoo always was. “Would you like me to search through the system for anything in particular?” He questioned, trying to be as helpful as possible. That was his job as a librarian, anyway.

Kyungsoo paused, struggling to find the right words. He didn't want to make it seem like he was using Yifan's position to benefit himself, but there was no way he could say the next sentence without coming off that way. “I... uh- Actually, there is one thing I came over to ask about.” A single eyebrow raised, but that was all that shifted in Yifan's seemingly frozen expression. “From your computer, can you, let's say, alter the attendance list?”

Now that gained quite the reaction. Yifan suddenly straightened to his full height, shadow casting over Kyungsoo and crossed his arms. His face didn't look all too happy either, but when did it ever? “I can state that a student is under my supervision for a period or two, but I can't fully alter any class attendance. Why are you asking?” His voice was naturally deep, but somehow it changed and dipped octaves lower, gaze piercing through Kyungsoo. Apparently Kyungsoo had done something wrong.

The shorter boy shifted uncomfortably, swallowing his nerves. It wasn't even that big of a deal and he was getting anxious about it. “I'm not asking for you to do anything out of the school's regulations, believe me. I was just wondering if you can mark me off as present for the next period while I stay here.” He forced the sentence out, voice solid and strong, but nerves cracking on the inside. Behind the indifferent mask, conversing with people was a strenuous activity that took a lot more effort than it looked like he was using.

Yifan's eyes narrowed, scanning over his body, carefully contemplating the idea before he motioned towards a place over Kyungsoo's shoulder. Kyungsoo angled his body slightly, straining his neck to get a glimpse of whatever was catching his eye. A strange sort of endearment filled him at the sight. Baekhyun was gliding around the “Romance Novels” aisle, a joyful smile spread across his lips as he browsed through the books shelves. His fingers traveled over each book spine carefully, pulling one out every so often, reading the back and then placing it back with an small, amused huff. Kyungsoo wondered what had his puppy eyed friend acting so... infatuated.

Yifan cleared his throat roughly, drawing Kyungsoo's attention back to his front. Tapping his fingers in a random rhythm on the desk, he began to speak again, eyes tracking Baekhyun's every move. “Do you want me to do the same for... your friend over there?”

Kyungsoo nodded, subconsciously picking at the thin skin around his finger nails. “Byun Baekhyun and yes, if you have the time.”

Yifan's face broke into a wide, amused smile and his joyous laughter boomed through out the quiet, empty space. Reaching out to ruffle Kyungsoo's soft hair, a move that Kyungsoo didn't have time to be affronted by, he spoke in a voice that sounded like he was struggling to stifle the rest of his laughter. “Kyungsoo, if you hadn't noticed already, you're the only one who ever visits the library. I know you're an admirable student and I trust you. There's no reason for me not to.”

And he disappeared behind the desk, the sound of swift fingers racing over a keyboard resonating from where Kyungsoo believed was his office. Kyungsoo settled in the silence, eyes flickering over random books, only spending half of his energy reading the words on the covers. The other half was spent asking himself why he was even bothering with all of this, but he knew he was doing it for Baekhyun's sake. His gaze found the friend in question whistling a tune to himself under his breath from across the room and Kyungsoo sighed, curiosity and worry mixing together. Dealing with Baekhyun was difficult sometimes, especially when he had the same amount of common sense as a toddler. Kyungsoo was somewhere in between eagerly anticipating Baekhyun's news and absoulutely dreading it.

Yifan reappeared humming, carrying two copies of a hand written note and passed them across the desk. Holding them gingerly, Kyungsoo gave them a brief scan before he craned his neck to give the librarian a questioning look. Yifan wasn't looking at him anymore, leaning on one elbow and resting his cheek in his hand, book in the other. It seemed they were both loosing interest in conversing and Yifan lifted a few free fingers dismissively, clicking his tongue on the roof of his mouth. “Notes for your teacher when you get to class. Nothing much, just my signature and a small explanation.” The taller male elaborated, lazily flicking through his book.

Replying with a small, grateful bow, Kyungsoo turned swiftly and headed towards Baekhyun's location with quick steps. He released a long breath, nervous heat coiling in his lower stomach as he approached, but kept his face void of emotion. Half way across the room, he stopped abruptly upon hearing Yifan whistle sharply, knowing it was a signal for him. He turned back in curiosity, finding Yifan pinning him with a gloomy, dark expression. “Kyungsoo.” It was short, a warning and his eyes glinted with something close to pity, contradicting his hostile facials. It had Kyungsoo swallowing hard. “I've heard the rumors.”

Kyungsoo heart dropped, expression of indifference falling upon hearing the words and morphing into a pale and painful one. It was suddenly hard to breathe in the large open space and he swallowed the feeling of bile crawling up his throat. Dread attacked his nervous system, forcing his bones to lock up and leaving him paralyzed, staring at Yifan with a haunted look. Yifan mirrored it with an unreadable expression, mouth a thin line behind his book.

He shook his head, the sigh that past his lips loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear past the blood rushing in his ears. “Given your expression, I'm assuming they're true. Just be careful, Kyungsoo. Those... type of people aren't as simple as their outer appearance may suggest. I've dealt with that particular group a few times and they're not the type of people I'd want someone like you to hang around.” Yifan warned, face twisted into a grimace as if recalling a painful memory. Kyungsoo wanted the ground to swallow him whole.

Smothering the anxiety striking him, Kyungsoo nodded shortly, unable to speak. He didn't know how to respond to such advice, couldn't get past the shock that even the teachers had heard of the affair. It made him want to turn tail and run, to move schools and completely disappear. It was pretty good idea, considering that Seoul was a large city. He could basically start anew at a different school.

Yifan turned his eagle like gaze back to the words on his page and left Kyungsoo to drown in his misery. Not knowing how to respond to such news, Kyungsoo stood, immobilized, watching the librarian with wide, lost eyes. He bit the inside of his cheek and shook away the negative thoughts, forcing himself to focus back on what he came there to do. Baekhyun was waiting for him. At that realization, he spun around quickly and advanced towards where his friend was resting on a bean bag, enthusiasm dulled a bit, but still clearly present.

Baekhyun glanced up as he approached, a faint, but fond smile gracing his lips. He sunk further back into the bean bag, making a funny face at Kyungsoo when he completely passed by the comfy seat and pulled out a normal chair from a close table, positioning himself so he was facing Baekhyun. Baekhyun muttered something about him being a kill joy and Kyungsoo just threw him an eye roll. Passing the note to Baekhyun, he briefly explained what it meant and why he had asked for it in the first place and Baekhyun responded with grateful words, affection sparking in his eyes. Slowly, but steadily, Kyungsoo was clearing away the wall he'd constructed around himself, letting Baekhyun in. It was a hard process, but Kyungsoo felt it was extremely rewarding, especially when Baekhyun praised him for it.

They settled comfortably, Kyungsoo lazing back in his chair and waiting for Baekhyun to start on whatever ridiculous tale he so desperately wanted to share. As Baekhyun was figuring out how to word it, Kyungsoo pulled a folder from his bag, setting a few pieces of paper on the table and preoccupying his mind while Baekhyun lost himself in his own.

Baekhyun leaned backwards and stretched his body along the seat, yawning and watching Kyungsoo from beneath his lashes. There was something nagging Baekhyun, something that told him Kyungsoo looked different today and he scrutinized hard, searching for it. His eyes narrowed, noting the younger boys mused hair and unnaturally crinkled uniform. Kyungsoo would in no way think it was acceptable to come to school looking like he'd just survived a storm; it just wasn't Kyungsoo. It didn't pass his notice how worn down Kyungsoo appeared nor the dark, tired bags beneath his eyes and he huffed loudly, drawing Kyungsoo's attention to him. Blinking, he titled his head and hummed questionably at the stern expression Baekhyun held.

Gesturing to the skin under his own eyes, Baekhyun glared, disappointed. How many times had he had to scold Kyungsoo for not taking care of himself and spending late nights studying? There were too many to count and every time, Kyungsoo disregarded his words of advice. He was ready to explode into a ranting lunatic. “I've told you countless times to get a healthy amount of sleep, Soo. When are you going to actually listen to my words?” Baekhyun complained, glowering at the smaller boy. At this point, he should've expected Kyungsoo to keep torturing himself wwhen he was without Baekhyun's supervision.

Kyungsoo's demeanor immediately changed, as if remembering something horrible and his eyebrows pulled together angrily. He made an agitated sound, posture straightening and blew out a harsh breath. “Someone messed with my phone's settings and my alarms didn't worked this morning. I woke up late.” He grumbled, pinning his older friend with a suspicious stare. From what he can remember, Baekhyun had been the only one that could've had the possibility to mess with his phone and although he didn't want to blame Baekhyun, it seemed like the most plausible reason.

But did Baekhyun even have a single malicious cell in his body? He'd never thought Baekhyun was capable of such wickedness.

They seemed to share the same mindset and Baekhyun held up his hands in surrender, whistling shortly at Kyungsoo rage. “Whoa, Soo, calm down. You know I'd never sabotage you like that!” He insisted, face twisting into something pleading and sincere.

Kyungsoo deflated. He couldn't stay angry, not around Baekhyun, especially when he was peering at him so innocently. The face he pulled when he was apologetic or upset was something no one could ever sneer at. All Baekhyun had to do was flutter his lashes and puff his cheeks out a little and everyone practically melted. And which one of them was suppose to be he self proclaimed Hyung?

Resting on his folded arms, he jerked his head in understanding and tried to not let his facial features give anything away. “Sorry.” He apologized simply, weary eyes still trained on his friend. Baekhyun waved it off, not at all bothered and smiled as Kyungsoo let out a small yawn. “Just tired.” He grumbled, voice muffled by the sleeve of his sweatshirt. As the exhaustion slowly caught up to Kyungsoo, Baekhyun cooed, finding the sight endearing and beyond adorable.

He wanted to drag the shorter boy into the bundle of cushions beside him and that's exactly what he did. From your first glance at Baekhyun, you'd assume he wasn't strong at all. But looks can be deceiving and although he wasn't built like some of the other students around school, he still had an overwhelming amount of strength for his size. And he was putting that into practice right now.

Kyungsoo jolted awake from his half conscious state as he was lifted from his sitting position and into the arms of another human being. His feet dangled a few centimeters from the ground and he made a choked sound, eyes going wide in brief panic before it was soothed upon noticing the face beside his. Baekhyun looked up at him, smiling cheekily and winking once, letting Kyungsoo fall into the soft pile of cushions and bean bags, following soon after.

Kyungsoo was covered by another body and pushed further into the warm fabric, the pressure pulling a reluctant laugh from his chest. Pleased at the sound he received, Baekhyun wound his arms around the smaller body and playfully shoved him further beneath him. Kyungsoo's laugh was croaky and breathless and it made Baekhyun join in, their ridiculously incoherent noises filling the silence. It didn't matter how noisy they were since they were the only other people inhabiting the library and they took the opportunity seriously. Kyungsoo was beaming, a radiant, wide smile making his cheeks ache but he was happy and it felt like it was the first time in years he was experiencing it.

He couldn't stop the wheezing sounds from passing his lips and even when Baekhyun had settled, a comfortable weight at his side, Kyungsoo didn't want to. Laughing made him feel light, free and those few, joyous moments were the only stress free ones he seemed to be receiving lately. When he'd calmed, they laid beside each other wordlessly, their harsh, but satisfied breathing the only sound between them. Baekhyun, being a little higher up than Kyungsoo, threw an arm around his shoulders and tilted his body closer, forcing Kyungsoo's head to rest in the junction between Baekhyun's collarbone and neck.

Kyungsoo, usually so uncompromising when it came to his opinion on being touched, welcomed the contact, the scent of Baekhyun's cologne soothing and sweet.

Baekhyun patted Kyungsoo's shoulder and voice quiet and soft, began to speak. “Something happened after school yesterday that I want to talk about.” He whispered, chewing on his bottom lip. The story wasn't that interesting, but Baekhyun believed it had to be one of the most memorable ones and he wanted to share it with Kyungsoo, he just didn't know how or where to start.

Humming, Kyungsoo nodded drowsily, the temptation of sleep wrapping around him and forcing his body to go slack. His eyes were already blinking blearily, struggling to focus on his surroundings and not give into the lull of warmth. He tried to remind himself that the sole reason he'd accompanied Baekhyun to the library was to listen to him speak, but now that he was so securely wrapped in affection and snug, he didn't think he had the energy to concentrate.

Park Chanyeol- you remember him, right?” Baekhyun questioned and when all he received was a slight lift of Kyungsoo's head, he laughed nervously, the words tumbling out his mouth in a rush. A habit he had when he felt uneasy or excited. “Of course you do, I never stop talking about him, but yeah, as I was saying. When I was searching for you yesterday, I- wait, I still need to ask you about that. Dude, you weren't answering any of my texts and I was so worried an-” A lazy, weak slap to his thigh had him immediately cutting himself off and he uttered a quick apology, fingers slowly carding through Kyungsoo's dark and silky hair.

It calmed him and he suspected it had the same effect on Kyungsoo too, because Kyungsoo's entire body relaxed and his breathing evened out. Collecting his thoughts, Baekhyun continued. “Right. Don't change subjects.” He repeated from memory, something Kyungsoo had said before. “Okay, so, Park Chanyeol. He- look, it's not even that big of a deal, but you must know how big of a crush I have on him and we sort of ran into each other yesterday and I'll spare you the details, but we exchanged numbers. He also offered to walk me home and just, like, wow? I didn't know people actually did that! Though I still accepted because, well, duh, he's Chanyeol, but anywa-”

The soft, hushed sound of snoring interrupted his speech and in surprise, Baekhyun glanced down. In the midst of his explanation, Kyungsoo must have drowsed off, the exhaustion quickly catching up with him. Baekhyun smiled fondly at Kyungsoo's resting features, carefully brushing away the stray hairs on his forehead as to not disturb him from his slumber. Baekhyun was honored. Kyungsoo felt comfortable with him enough to trust Baekhyun with the duty of watching over his sleeping body and he felt his heart swell with tenderness. The longer he spent around him, the more Baekhyun felt himself becoming attached.

Trying to match their breathing, Baekhyun's chest rose as he breathed in deeply, watching Kyungsoo's own one do so slowly and leisurely. Then he stilled, feeling Kyungsoo shift slightly and feared he'd woken the resting boy. An arm threw itself over his abdomen and Kyungsoo moved towards him, basically burrowing himself in the fabric of Baekhyun's sweater and his worries were laid to rest.

Baekhyun smiled cheekily, petting Kyungsoo's head when he realized he'd have something to about later. Especially now that he knew Kyungsoo was just a giant cuddlier that secretly pined for skin-ship.

Soon the bell for first period, but Baekhyun didn't have to worry. His younger companion had already sorted that out for them so he laid back and relaxed with Kyungsoo in his arms, silence broken every once and a while by Kyungsoo little sleepy sniffles. It was cute, Kyungsoo's whole existence was cute, particularly when he was lost in the land of dreams. His long, dark eye lashes cast shadows on his cheeks, bowed lips pulled into a permanent pout and his whole expression was just... peaceful. Ethereal. His conscious wasn't burdened by any of the stress life provided. Baekhyun knew that he was probably one of the few that could to witness such a beautiful scene.

Time ticked away in the silence and he comforted Kyungsoo while he caught up on sleep. Baekhyun supposed it was the first in the long time Kyungsoo had let himself delve into such a luxury and was quite pained at that assumption. It wasn't uncommon for Kyungsoo to neglect his health, but Baekhyun just hoped he could've knocked some sense into the kid by now. Baekhyun was alwasy worrying.

The familiar bleep from his phone notified he had received a message and he had trouble reaching for it inside his left pocket considering Kyungsoo was heavily weighed on that side. He called it a win when he fished it out without disturbing Kyungsoo, who had dug his claws in deeper and didn't seem like he was going to let go for a while. It was a simple text from Chanyeol asking where he was for English, but Baekhyun still felt his heart start beating irregularly and encouraged it to settle down before he had a heart attack. Chanyeol had noticed he was missing from class. Chanyeol had noticed he was missing from class.

He typed back a response, careful not to bump Soo with his fidgeting elbow and tapped his foot as he waited for the reply. It came quicker than he anticipated and his heart jolted again, hope filling his chest. Did that mean Chanyeol was making this conversation his main priority? Baekhyun swallowed hard, reading the message over and suddenly felt his heart drop dangerously low. He glanced at Kyungsoo, uncertain of what he should reply with after regarding the messages for a few long minutes.

A battle began in his head, two sides fighting for two different priorities. He was stuck in the middle, debating whether Kyungsoo would find his answer aggravating or not and complain later. Well, that was a given. Kyungsoo would complain no matter, especially when he learnt Baekhyun had let him fall asleep.

Baekhyun's decision was set.

Fingers shaky, his thumb hovered over the send button before he mustered up the courage and put pressure on it, “sent” flashing dangerously, like a warning, before it faded out.

Baekhyun gulped audibly, peering down at Kyungsoo's sleeping figure in uncertainty, then back down at his phone again.

It sounded as another message came in and he stared down at it with sullen eyes, not sure what sort of damage he'd just done.

Cool, I'll bring the guys with me- Chanyeol"

One thing was certain, when Kyungsoo finally woke, he wouldn't be happy at the sight that greeted him.

 

A/N: *sighs* *lifts hand lazily for a wave* yo, i am soooo tired. im so sleep deprived and ive ran out of all my sleeping tablets so :c ive descended to hell. anyway, moving on. this chapter *curses in 20 languages* was the most difficult to write and idfk why??? it just was??? im confused. but yeah, i know what im gonna write for next chap so dont worry peeps, i aint giving up just yet. things will go down with yeol and the gang. baek and soo's friendship is making me sad cos i literally have no friends. also, we're all in the exo fandom here, we're all literally kpop trash, but i do not want to see any hate towards Kris + Luhan and especially Tao in the comments. they will all be in the story as i support them seperately from exo so if you dont like that, im sorry??? (not really actually but ://) (p.s buy tao's solo album, it's frickin beautiful)

(p.p.s: follow me on tumblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/snorlaxluke <<< im the biggest piece of trash on the planet)