not so secret

Lucky Karma

A/N: recently edited- 19/07

 

"What's your favourite colour?"

"No."

"What's your favourite movie?"

"No."

Jongin rolled his eyes, a frustrated sigh leaving his lips while he peered down at the shorter boy. He'd been trying to pull a conversation out of him ever since they'd started walking, but Kyungsoo didn't want to participate at all. He'd rather glower at all his surroundings and sulk at Jongin's constant, annoying questions. Which was as equally as annoying to Jongin  "Will you at least look at me?"

"No." Another sharp stab at his already fragile ego. Jongin didn't know how much more of the cold shoulder he could withstand, especially since he'd never had to deal with someone as unresponsive as Kyungsoo before. Whatever came out of his mouth, no matter what it was, was immediately dismissed by him.

Like a child not getting his way, Jongin nearly stamped his feet and trying to gain Kyungsoo's attention, poked him repeatedly. It literally was the only way to get a reaction from him. "Can you just act like you enjoy my company,?"

Kyungsoo didn't even spare him a glance. Instead, he kept strolling down the school halls and Jongin tried not to notice how cute he looked clutching books to his chest. No matter how irritating Jongin found Kyungsoo's attitude, he was always stunned by how small and fragile and just endearing he appeared. It was like he cast a spell over the taller boy. And It wasn't like he was the only one affected by the spell, either. The small amount of wandering students around school gave Kyungsoo the most fond looks, eyes trailing after him, but then noticed Jongin and shot him an envious look. Which was just ridiculous, in Jongin's view. Why wouldn't they envy Kyungsoo for being in his presence?

He'd heard of the admiration the student body held for Kyungsoo, but witnessing it with his own eyes was a totally different experience. No one showered Jongin with affectionate looks like the ones people kept sending Kyungsoo. Jongin become agitated rather quickily. And it wasn't because he was jealous. It wasn't. Especially not of the students who didn't have the tiniest chances of becomig close Kyungsoo and the way their eyes lingered all over Kyungsoo. Definately not. That would just be childish.

Honestly, how had Jongin never bumped into Kyungsoo before all of this; they were basically on the same social level. Except Kyungsoo wasn't really a people's person, putting it mildly. He didn't seem to care about all the attention he received. For some reason, that pleased Jongin. There was a selfish part of himself that wanted all of Kyungsoo's attention on him. Now that was childish.

 "If I did, it would just be another lie. Didn't your parents ever teach you that lying is wrong?" The sarcastic tone of Kyungsoo's voice cut through Jongin's train of thought and he blinked, glancing back down at the boy who'd slowed his pace to walk at his side. Jongin noticed that little detail and smiled, eyeing the comfortable way Kyungsoo held himself near Jongin with pleased eyes. Despite his consant sarcastic remarks, Kyungsoo couldn't hide how content he looked and that just made Jongin smile harder.

Jongin was even starting to enjoy how snarky Kyungsoo really was.

In fact, it was becoming increasingly familiar to him, an almost soothing occurrence now. Jongin had picked up that whenever Kyungsoo answered with something snarky, it actually meant he was listening and had something to say. He wasn't just staring into blank space; like he often appeared to be doing half the time. 

Jongin answered with an equally sarcastic response, "If it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't have to lie."  Kyungsoo mulled over what he said and glanced up quickly to nod in understanding before continuing with quick steps towards the school's cafeteria for the first lunch break.

Jongin raised his eyebrows, smirking slightly and draped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder, knowing it'd cause a few heads to turn. This way, word of their "relationship" would spread like wild fire and that's exactly what Jongin wanted. He was quite shocked when Kyungsoo didn't violently push him away, but he knew it was because he was trying to ignore his presence entirely. 

Unfortunately, for Kyungsoo, he was far too loud to ignore. 

"But, ya know, with all the non cooperating happening between us, they'll probably catch onto the lie pretty quickly." The corners of his mouth twitched, a smile wanting to break free when Kyungsoo's steps faltered slightly and he had to lean on Jongin for a few seconds for support. Jongin was far too smug about it all. 

He stumbled out of Jongin's grip and growled under his breath, his gaze cold when he looked back. "I told you; I didn't even agree to that."

Jongin quickened his pace and practically glued himself to Kyungsoo's back, a mischievous grin spreading across his face when their noses almost touched. "Yet..." The breathy whisper almost broke Kyungsoo's calm facade and he went rigid, his eyes slightly widening at the confession that left Jongin's lips. 

Jongin brushed past him, leaving a trail of of sparks as he went and triumphantly winked when he saw the shocked look on the other's face. The air between them stretched and became static as Jongin sauntered away, a very dishevelled and confused Kyungsoo left behind him.

When he was sure he'd gotten out of Kyungsoo's sight, Jongin turned a corner hastily and braced himself against the row of lockers, breathing deeply and irregularly. Now that he'd parted from the impassive boy, he could lose the appearance he'd held up near him and reflect over the events of the morning. Kyungsoo always seemed to have a hold on his mind, forcing any rational thoughts far away and he needed to escape before he did anything more he'd come to regret. 

Now he could dwell on what an absuloute fool he'd been.

After he'd explained, or, more accurately, partly explained himself to Kyungsoo, he'd guided him to the school building, all the while holding onto Kyungsoo like some weirdly possessive boyfriend. It must've looked pretty shady to anyone passing them . Unike before, he made sure he had a realistic purpose behind his coddling. He had to establish the dynamic of their relationship fast, meaning he had to have Kyungsoo comfortable with his presence and touch or risk losing Kyungsoo's help.

Well, it wasn't actually confirmed he'd agreed to help Jongin, but he hadn't straight up disagreed either, so there was still a chance Jongin could win him over. And if that meant literally glueing himself to the petite boy, then that's what it would take. He quickily picked up the fact Kyungsoo didn't speak much when Jongin kept asking him questions and all he answered with was a cold, piercing stare and a blank expression, or, if he was lucky, an annoyed word or two.

It unsettled Jongin a little, but there were a few times when he'd been able to gauge an actual reaction from the boy. It had never been a positive emotion; usually an annoyed huff or an eye roll paired with a sarcastic retort, but it was enough. After all the rumours he'd heard about Kyungsoo's affairs, it seemed Jongin had gone further than anybody else.

Jongin was allowed to be smug about that little fact. 

When they'd reached school, second period had already started and Kyungsoo could've cut diamonds with the sharp glare he directed at Jongin. Maybe Jongin should have apologised, but he was too busy hiding his grin at how flustered Kyungsoo seemed. It was the first natural emotion he'd let slip without any provoking from him and seeing it happen as he panicked and rushed to get to class was somehow the most ridiculous thing Jongin had seen.

Kyungsoo was always so in control of his emotions, but he lost his composure then and Jongin shouldn't have found it amusing. Maybe it was just because he liked staring at Kyungsoo, especially when his cheeks tinted that adorable pink and he huffed in frustration. Yeah, it was probably that.

They had parted earlier because, while Jongin wanted to be as close to him as possible, it was difficult when they both had different classes. So he let Kyungsoo reluctantly go and attented his own class. But trying to pay attention to the lesson proved to be harder than he anticipated when his mind kept drifting off to the image of a certain doe eyed student. 

After class, ignoring all the calls from his peers, he followed through with his previous urges and went to go seek out his new companion. It didn't take long to find Kyungsoo. He'd previously heard the he hung around the library and he spotted Kyungsoo along the way. Reluctant, but with no objections, Kyungsoo agreed to meet with Jongin's friends. The truth? Jongin just wanted to brag to the guys that he'd gotten close Kyungsoo, but he didn't need to know that.

Yet.

He didn't even know he'd uttered the word until he was already walking away and then it was too late to go back and drag Kyungsoo with him. And with his usual calm composure absolutely dissolved from all the tension between the pair, there was no way he could introduce Kyungsoo to his friends with the state he was in. There was too much of a risk; he'd falter and reveal his true intentions to Kyungsoo.

Jongin sighed and leaned up against the cold metal, closing his eyes and rubbed his temple in irritation. This whole situation was starting to really get on his nerves. Believe it or not, but he didn't want to lie to anyone, yet here he was, nearly lying to everyone surrounding him. "You're more guilty about lying to Kyungsoo" His concious chimed, but he didn't want to admit it. This whole situation was just so unfair and he wanted to take it all back and apologise, but he was already too entangled in his web of lies. The selfish part of his mind also didn't want to let goof Kyungsoo so quickily. 

"Wake up, Jongin~! Don't ya know school isn't for sleeping?!" An insistent, familiar voice boomed right beside his ear. 

Nearly jumping out of his skin, Jongin inhaled sharply, peeking one eye open to glare at the intruding figure of his best friend. Chanyeol just responded with his famous, goofy grin, shouldering Jongin playfully. "Aww, what's got you so down, huh?"

Straightening his posture, Jongin shrugged and tried to stop his facial expression from giving anything away. "Nothing too serious. You guys don't need to worry about it." 

Chanyeol, getting the hint to change the subject, patted his shoulder reassuringly. It was graciously received. "Well, you've already had us worried anyway, dude. None of us knew where you disappeared off to."

Jongin's mood immediately brightened, giving his friend a justle of his own. He bounced on his heels excitingly, grabbing Chanyeol by the arm and pulling him with him. "You'll never guess what I've been up to."

Chanyeol just chuckled and studied his friend's eager expression, swinging his back pack over one shoulder. "Judging by your enthusiasm, I'm not sure whether I should be excited or not."

The grin never left Jongin's face.

 

For possibly the first time in forever, Kyungsoo couldn't focus on the work in front of him. Every time he got just a little bit close to solving the problem, his mind would lose all it's motivation and instead, drift off to other subjects. The main one being a tall and captivating individual. 

Kyungsoo nearly screamed in frustration as he, once again, thought over the proposal he'd gotten earlier that morning. It didn't seem like that bad of a deal and he hated that he'd admitted it to himself. It was just... Jongin had seemed so desperate for help and Kyungsoo had always fallen victim to a sad story. And it wasn't like it would affect him in any negative way; it wouldn't be that public. Right?

Kyungsoo let the pen slip from his fingers and sighed out loud, moving his gaze away from the aggravating math on the page that seemed to discourage him even further. His mind slipped away again and he jolted from the daze as a insistent poke repeatedly hit his arm.

With a curious expression, he turned lazily to his left and there, staring at him with that cheeky grin, was none other than Byun Baekhyun. Kyungsoo wouldn't exactly call him a friend, but Baekhyun always made sure to sit next to him in Calculus and even though he'd occasionally annoy him, he was good companion throughout the lessons. Kyungsoo surprisingly appreciated Baekhyun's effort.

He found Baekhyun interesting, particularly how he was always positive about everything. That was very admirable, especially in a class like Calculus. 

Kyungsoo stared, waiting for the comment that was sure to come and was hardly suprised at the words that left Baekhyun's bowed lips. "I've been trying to get your attention for the last five minutes, but you seem more preoccupied than usual. What's got you so bothered that you can't solve a few math equations?"

Baekhyun's voice was teasing, but Kyungsoo picked up on the concern in his tone and he blinked, suprised. Baekhyun didn't really looked the observative type.

It was silent between them for a few seconds, the sound of pencil scribbling on paper the only background sound. Kyungsoo debated on whether to tell Baekhyun what had happened. Were they close enough to do that? Sure Baekhyun had shared some personal stuff with him before, but Kyungsoo had never really had anything to share, so he often stayed quiet and listened. Was this the sort of stuff friends were suppose to share?

Kyungsoo's eyebrows knitted together in confusion and in his pondering, his voice unknowingly came out a lot louder than expected. "That Jongin guy-he...asked me out."

Baekhyun's expression immediately morphed to one of extreme suprise and the sound of multiple pencils clanking to desks echoed throughout the whole room. 

Out of curiosity, Kyungsoo spun to check what all the fuss was about and met with thirty pairs of shocked eyes- all staring at him.

A small noise escaped his throat, a noise that sounded so loud in the silence and he shrunk in on himself, eyes wide as he peered back.

Kyungsoo knew there was no way this whole thing could be private now.