maybe you should trust the rumours

Lucky Karma

A/N: recently edited- 19/07

Kyungsoo wasn't exactly, let's say, gifted when it came to conversational skills. Okay, that was putting it midly. Because of his cold demeanor, no one ever had the confidence to approach him at school and because of that, he was labelled an outcast amongst his peers. Everyone took his impassive looks and sharp, focused glares as hatred, which wasn't all true. Well partially, anyway. He just never spoke much and always preferred to be in the background; out of focus and forgotten. Maybe it was unhealthy to be that introverted, but Kyungsoo liked it better that way. He never had to deal with pesky gossip or remember names and because of his good grades, teachers never gave him much trouble. They, like the rest of the student body, were another nuisance to add to Kyungsoo's list.

Attention only brought problems with it. That was his motto.

Most people avoided him or ignored his presence all together and he never really noticed when someone seemed interested in him. But it wasn't like it was that hard to avoid him in the first place, either. Among the school, it was common knowledge the library was where you could find Kyungsoo, if you had the courage to speak to the doe eyed boy. Hardly anyone ever did. It was probably the fact he was always so focused on studying and doing his best that he, unintentionally, ignored people who tried to get too close. Self defense mechanism, and all that.

What Kyungsoo never knew, however, was that'd he'd actually gained quite the reputation throughout his school. Everyone knew his name and everyone knew how untouchable he was. People found him intriguing, mysterious, and unfortunate for Kyungsoo, adorable. His slight frame and large eyes, paired with his mute attitude, had nearly everyone fawning from a distance. Without him even knowing, Kyungsoo had already gained the student body's attention, as well as their hearts. Although, it was also common knowledge that you'd be sourly disappointed if you thought you had a chance of getting close to the small boy. Anybody that got too curious and attempted to raise a reaction from the distant boy would often leave feeling rejected. Kyungsoo hardly ever noticed. 

Because Kyungsoo was disinterested with the "normal" student life, he never listened to the rumours that were spread, nor did he pay any mind when the school's population began to buzz about the new, "hot" student last year. Of course he picked up a few ushered, fleeting words here and there, especially in his Calculus class, when a certain someone loved to chat his ear off with the latest gossip. Kyungsoo thought it was all quite uninteresting, so he mainly pretended he was listening most of the time, choosing to silently nod his head in agreement to whatever was being said beside him. 

Seeing as who was currently dragging him along the pathway, he really should've paid more attention. 

The hand wrapped around his was large compared to his own, with nice, slender fingers that felt smooth and soft against his skin. It was a gentle, comforting grasp and that's when Kyungsoo became confused beyond measure because he didn't even know this guy. Why did he feel so at ease with a someone, let alone a stranger initiating physical contact? The bizarreness of it all had Kyungsoo's brain pausing it's thought process, searching for any reasonable explanation to what he was currrently experiencing. Along with the strange assurance and calm he felt at the un-named guy's touch, there was a very alien instinct that forbid him from pulling away from the hold. He wasn't suppose to feel this way with people, he wasn't even suppose to allow himself to feel this way, whatever it was he was even feeling. Kyungsoo was a mess of conflicting emotions and yet, he never let go of the hand in his.

Kyungsoo never trusted people straight away, he thought it was common sense to never leave yourself unguarded in the presence of someone unknown. Yet here he was, defiling his own morals and feeling so at peace with someone who'd just used him to lie to their parents. There was always the possibility that this was all just some weird, lucid dream. Or maybe he unknowningly bumped his head getting out of bed and lost a few brain cells. Or a lot.

Trying to rationlise his thoughts, he shook his head and let the stranger tug him along, keenly aware of the desperation in his eyes earlier. Thinking over the situation he'd caught himself in, Kyungsoo realised he should've been mad. It wasn't like he had any obligation and this guy was only using him, after all. The guy knew his name, but Kyungsoo had yet to hear the tiniest of truth from his own mouth, let alone his name. He should have ripped his hand from the stranger's grip and yelled that this wasn't okay. That this was fake and march back to the parents and own up to the lie. Playing along with this guy would only cause further trouble for Kyungsoo and yet...

Something in the stranger's warm eyes shook Kyungsoo. They made his heart beat irregularly, made him want to do something as romantic as curling up near a fire together tangled in blankets and just bask in each other's presence, no matter how much he tried to deny it. There was an overwhelming attraction Kyungsoo felt towards the guy and the realisation struck him like a train. It was so different from anything he'd ever experienced. Kyungsoo hardly ever met new people, too socially shy and introverted to be the first to start a conversation, if he ever felt the urge to. Even when he was out in public, no one seemed interesting enough to converse with. You could say that Kyungsoo just had a very specific type. And Kyungsoo had to bregrudging admit that this stranger ticked all the 'right' boxes. He was... something out of the ordinary. 

Every time he thought Kyungsoo wasn't watching, he'd slightly turn and stare with soft and curious eyes. It wasn't a judgemental gaze, more like Kyungsoo was some rare, exotic creature he'd never seen up close. And now that he had... he couldn't take his eyes off him.

Kyungsoo felt something in his chest constrict and didn't want to think about what it meant. He tried to remind himself that this guy was a complete stranger, that they had no ties, no reason go be this attracted to each other, but every time the thought was completely vanquished by a pair of warm, chestnut eyes peering at him from under heavy lids. Kyungsoo didn't know what the stare meant exactly, but it was one capable of melting his cold exterior. When they accidentally made eye contact for the first time, Kyungsoo turned suddenly, swallowing thickly in embarrasment.

The blush that covered Kyungsoo's cheeks was subtle, but there was no denying the pink was there. Looking ahead to distract himself from his screaming concious, Kyungsoo focused on trying not to stumble over his own feet.

When they'd reached the end of the street, safe from the eyes of any on looking parents, the stranger suddenly grasped Kyungsoo by his small shoulders and started to gently push him forward. He jolted at first, ready to kick or scream or whatever it would take for the guy to let go, when reassuring hands gently caressed and against better judgement, he calmed.

Kyungsoo had definitely lost a lot of brain cells this morning. He was sure of it.

"Come on, come on. We have to hurry before they come looking for me." The silky voice ushered on Kyungsoo's bare neck, a breathy command that made him tense. Or, more tense than he already was considering he was getting pushed into an alley way. With a stranger. Who maybe wants to get into his pants? Kyungsoo was decidingly more than a little skeptical. 

After he'd successfully cornered Kyungsoo's small frame into the secluded alley way, he let his hands slide from his shoulders lazily and placed them, instead, over his face. Kyungsoo didn't know whether it was indication he could leave or not, but either way, he stayed glued to his spot. He didn't know exactly what made him decide to give his precious time away to the stranger and didn't want to dwell on it either. Right now, Kyungsoo just wanted an explanation and he stared hard at the figure caging him against the fence; eyes un-blinking as he waited patiently.

Muffled from his hands, Kyungsoo barely understood the embarrassed mumble the guy let out, "Why did I think this was a good idea...?"

Kyungsoo, honestly, wondered the same, but he bit his tongue. Instead, he crossed his arms selfconciously, staring with an uneasy gaze.

The minutes stretched on; Kyungsoo looking increasingly uncomfortable as his personal space was invaded and the stranger hiding his humiliation behind his hands. The stranger thought this was the most embarrassing situation he'd ever found himself in and now, he had to find an exuse for the timid boy in front of him.

Nothing came to mind and he cringed internally. Why had this happened to him?

Jongin honestly had no idea how he'd mustered up the courage to grab Kyungsoo off the street and make that- that horrible, daunting announcement. Especially in front of his parents. That was defiantely not the way he was hoping that particular conversation would go. Getting hit by a car might have been a better decision than following his foolish instinct and reaching for help. Because this wasn't just anyone he'd dragged into this. Oh no, it just had to be Kyungsoo, the Do Kyungsoo, who, he'd heard, could commit homicide with just his death glare.

He'd never experienced it- had never even wanted to after hearing all the rumours about the boy. They spoke of a small, petite boy, who was, at first glance- the cutest nerd in history with innocent, doe eyes that nearly everyone fell for, however, no one should be fooled by his appearance. Apparently, he was the spawn of satan, an emotionally detached boy that no one could even receive a smile from. Despite that, everyone adored him and Jongin had always wondered what the fuss about. The descriptions given didn't paint him as someone that looked overly exciting or fascinating and Jongin desperately wanted to seek out the boy for a chance to, let's say, experiment. Jongin always was a bit too curious.

Of course, the rumours raised Jongin's interests, but after a stern warning from his friend, Tao, he decided against seeking this famous "Kyungsoo" out. The curiousity never left, but this Kyungsoo kid was in none of his classes and the only time he ever heard about him was from his friends, Jongdae and Tao, who seemed to share smiliar schedules with him. They also didn't seem very fond of him, either, which didn't help settle his interests. Who was brave enough to stand up to his two out spoken friends?

 Well, now, he never had to wonder what his meeting with him would be like, because Kyungsoo was right in front of him, looking oh so small and adorable and Jongin officially ruled all those rumours as bull.

There's no way someone that pretty could be so cold.

At that exact moment, as Jongin was stunned by how gorgeous Kyungsoo was, the crisp, bitter wind flew past and ruffled Kyungsoo's hair and tinted his full cheeks pink and Jongin just knew. 

He knew what he wanted.

Before Kyungsoo could even think of resisting, Jongin grabbed his small, soft hands into his own and uttered the first few words that came to mind.

"Kyungsoo, be my boyfriend?"

There was no way he could've predicted the reaction he got.

"Uh... who even are you?"

And that was how Jongin found at that not all rumours are just rumours.